was wanting help stating out crossbow

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 Jamwes

Jamwes

• Members
  • 408 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

As for the crossbow, I don't think I'd give it Cumbersome. The point of a crossbow over a bow is that anyone can use it. You don't need some sort of extra strength to use the weapon. Unless, you fluff it that you need a decent Brawn to reload it. In that case I'd give it some sort of special rule of Slow Loading unless your Brawn is 3.

A crossbow is, by and large, a more cumbersome weapon to shoot than an actual bow.  I'm speaking out of mild expertise, as an avid hobbyist archer, even if my experience with crossbows is limited to more anachronistic models.  While its design makes it easier to shoot, the overall need for it to have a large length and width makes it unwieldy.

That, and bowcasters are Cumbersome 3, too... so I'd take my queue from FFG in adding Cumbersome to the crossbow.

I stand corrected and difer to your wisdom on this subject. I suppose fluff for cumbersome on the bow is because it's hard to pull the string back while on crossbows it'll be because it's just a big clunky thing. Depending on space-age materials, and intent of the weapon design, dropping it to Cumbersome 2 might not be a terrible idea. My understanding is that in previous games bowcasters were hard to draw back, which is why only strong Wookies used them, and might be why they gave it Cumbersome 3.

• progressions likes this

#22 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Hm... how's this?

• Pistol Crossbow, Ranged (Light) [Damage 5, Crit: 4, Range: Medium, Hard Points: 1, Rarity: 5, Cost: 350cr, Accurate 1, Pierce 1, Limited Ammo 1]
  • Light Crossbow, Ranged (Heavy) [Damage: 6, Crit: 4, Range: Medium, Hard Points: 2, Rarity: 5, Cost: 450cr, Pierce 1, Cumbersome 2, Limited Ammo 1]
  • Light Repeating Crossbow, Ranged (Heavy) [Damage: 6, Crit: 4, Range: Medium, Hard Points: 2, Rarity: 5, Cost: 650cr, Pierce 1, Cumbersome 2, Limited Ammo 10]
  • Heavy Crossbow, Ranged (Heavy) [Damage: 8, Crit: 4, Range: Long, Hard Points: 3, Rarity: 6, Cost: 600cr, Pierce 2, Cumbersome 3, Knockdown, Limited Ammo 1]
  • Heavy Repeating Crossbow, Ranged (Heavy) [Damage: 8, Crit: 4, Range: Long, Hard Points: 3, Rarity: 6, Cost: 800cr, Pierce 2, Cumbersome 3, Knockdown, Limited Ammo 10]
  • Reverse-Limb Alliance Bolt-Thrower, Ranged (Heavy) [Damage: 10, Crit: 3, Range: Long, Hard Points: 3, Rarity: 7, Cost: 1500cr, Pierce 2, Cumbersome 3, Knockdown, Limited Ammo 10]
  • Portable Balista, Gunnery [Damage 12, Crit: 3, Range: Long, Hard Points: 4, Rarity: 7, Cost: 1000, Pierce 3, Cumbersome 5, Knockdown, Slow Firing 1, Limited Ammo 1]

There is no signature here.

#23 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:53 AM

No offense to Sam, but that has to be the silliest justification for what must have been a typo I have ever seen.

If it had been a typo, Stewart would have said "oh yeah, that's a typo, it'll be fixed in the next errata"... *SNIP!*

Okay, maybe I should apologize for not denoting my sarcasm enough.  I wasn't trying to accuse him of being a liar, just pointing out that it was a silly justification.  But even if I was saying that directly, you have to admit it wouldn't be the first time a producer made excuses for a mistake in a production.

Frankly, I don't care if it was intentional or if it was a production error.  All I care about is that it makes absolutely no sense, so I've house-ruled it out, just as I'm about to house-rule the use of grenades (because knowing how to shoot a pistol doesn't mean you know how to accurately toss a grenade).

Next time, I'll be sure to use the <sarcasm></sarcasm> tag.  Okay?
I get that they're not the same but neither is firing all the different light weapons or heavy weapons, ie I'm pretty sure firing a heavy blaster rifle is different than firing a selonian shard shooter. I think if you add toany different skills just to be more specific you kill the incentive to use those specific types since suddenly your having to dump a bunch of exp into something just to be a tiny bit more versatile in combat.
Though for the bow I'm in full support of leaving it ranged heavy as loading arrows shouldn't be easier with certain arrows while that still leaves it in the mass weapon grouping.

Edited by Dark Bunny Lord, 25 August 2014 - 11:57 AM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS