• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Hida77

Hida77

• Members
  • 755 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:06 PM

Not-so-quick question that came up tonight:

A Decimator with the Dauntless title overlaps a ship. Can my opponent choose not to trigger the title? Or does the title always trigger? Follow up question assuming that it always triggers (regardless of if you want it to)- if you choose not to take the action, do you get the stress?

Pertinent text:
"After you execute a maneuver that causes you to overlap another ship, you may perform 1 free action. Then receive 1 stress token."

My reading is it always triggers if you overlap a ship and whether or not you take the action, you are stressed. I could be wrong.

2014 Star Wars: The Card Game US Nationals Finalist

2013 Star Wars: The Card Game Worlds Top 16

8xX-wing, 5xB-Wing, 2xYT-1300, 4xY-Wing, 5xA-Wing, 2xHWK-290, 3xE-Wing, 7xZ-95, 1xYT-2400, 2xGR-75, 1xCR-90

8xTIE/LN, 11xTIE/IN, 2xTIE/Adv, 4xTIE/as, 3xTIE/Ph, 3xTIE/D, 3xFirespray-31, 3xLambda, 1xDecimator

#2 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:34 PM

The trigger is there on the overlap, but the inclusion of the word "may" makes it a choice to use it. If the player with the Dauntless chooses to perform the free action, then he'll get the stress. Otherwise it would be treated as a regular overlap, so no stress. It's the free action that's inducing the stress.

Check the rulebook, Blue box, top of p19 - Card Abilities, last paragraph.

Edited by Parravon, 22 August 2014 - 08:36 PM.

• Flamestalker likes this

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#3 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:37 PM

No. The Dauntless title triggers when you choose to take a free action after an overlap. If you do not choose to take the action, then the title doesn't trigger and you have a just normal collision between ships.

In other words, the trigger is not the overlap, the trigger is taking the action. The overlap is only the prerequisite to be able to trigger the title's ability.

#4 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

In other words, the trigger is not the overlap, the trigger is taking the action. The overlap is only the prerequisite to be able to trigger the title's ability.

You've just contradicted yourself there. The trigger is not the taking of the the action. You can't trigger it by taking a free action UNLESS you've just overlapped another ship. As far as I can see it's a case of "6 of one, half a dozen of the other". It really makes no difference how the semantics work on this one, as you clearly can't use it without the overlap happening.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#5 Smuggler

Smuggler

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:49 AM

I agrea that the format "you may do A. Then B" is not crystal clear as to whether B only happens if you choose to do "something". Mabye it's just because english is not my first language, but to me it looks like B will allways happen, regardles of if you choose to do A or not. But it has become clear to me that is not how it works, atleast not in X-Wing. If it was, Corran Horn would be the sillyest pilot ever :lol:

#6 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

No. The Dauntless title triggers when you choose to take a free action after an overlap. If you do not choose to take the action, then the title doesn't trigger and you have a just normal collision between ships.

Nope.  As said above, the trigger is on the overlap.  "You may..." precedes the choice for what you can do, it's not the trigger.

Back to the OP: The ruing on R7-T1 muddies the water a bit (and is dumb, IMHO) but "Then..." can generally be read as "If you do, then..." in X-wing.  There are a few examples for this - Push the Limit (where if the "Then" is disconnected, you take a stress for every action) and the new Accuracy Corrector, where a disconnected "Then" could potentially mean that you could add 2 hit results without canceling the roll.

• Flamestalker, Parravon and StephenEsven like this

#7 0rph3u5

0rph3u5

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:09 AM

The mechanic is

1. IF <collision>, THEN <take free action> OR <not take free action>.

2. IF 1 IS <take free action>, THEN <recieve 1 stress token>.

The wording on PTL is similar (though differnetly formated), leading to a similar mechanic:

1. IF <preform an action>, THEN <take free action> OR <not take free action>

2. IF 1 IS <take free action>, THEN <recieve 1 stress token>.

Edited by 0rph3u5, 23 August 2014 - 03:17 AM.

• FTS Gecko likes this

"Soon the Emperor will have nothing but his pitiful Force to rely on." - Demetrius Zaarin

Zaarin Insurrectionists (X-Wing): 5x TIE Interceptor, 6x TIE Bomber, 1x TIE Advanced, 6x TIE Defender, 1x TIE Phantom, 2x Lambda Shuttle, 1x Theta Shuttle (counts as Lambda Shuttle) (Still in aquisition:) 2x VT-49 Decimator

Zaarin Insurrectionists (Armada): coming 2015

#8 Jehan Menasis

Jehan Menasis

• Members
  • 529 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 05:57 AM

Nope.  As said above, the trigger is on the overlap.  "You may..." precedes the choice for what you can do, it's not the trigger.

I was seeing the overlapping more as the prerequisite, chance, or opportunity (or whatever you want to call it) to trigger the ability. "Abilities can trigger once per opportunity"

If you don't overlap there's no opportunity to trigger the ability of taking an action just after the maneuver instead of on your take action step. However, we could tangle in semantics and muddied terrain for days, and in this case our destination would be the same: If you choose not to take the action, there's is no stress and the situation is treated as a normal overlap.

So the trigger is the overlap, instead of the act of taking the action itself? Fine by me. I won't argue.

@Parravon. Believe it or not, my original answer was intended for the OP, however my post was ninjaed by yours at the last moment, and by pure chance, from the wording in both posts, it seems that my answer was fitted for you instead.

#9 Rinehart

Rinehart

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

The Dauntless Title should work that if you don't take the action you don't take the stress, but it may not.  As mentioned above the FAQ entry on R7-T1 poses an interesting problem.

The Card text for Dauntless:

After you execute a maneuver that causes you to overlap another ship, you may perform one free action. Then receive 1 stress token.

The Card text for R7-T1

Action: Choose an enemy ship at Range 1-2. If you are inside that ship's firing arc, you may acquire a target lock on that ship. Then, you may perform a free boost action.

Both of them have an If...Then statement.  A lot of us thought that in order to get R7-T1s free boost action, you would need to have aquired the TL.  But the FAQ entry says you don't.  If says the Free boost action is independent of the TL.

FAQ Entry for R7-T1:

If a ship equipped with R7-T1 is at Range 1–2 and inside 
the firing arc of an enemy ship, the following sequence 
occurs: the ship equipped with R7-T1 may acquire a 
target lock on the enemy ship. Then, the ship equipped 
with R7-T1 may perform a free boost action, even if it 
did not acquire a target lock on the enemy ship.

So, the "then" sentence is decoupled from the TL "if" sentence.  It's entirely possible that the developers decided that the cost of having the ability to do actions when crashing with the VT is that when you overlap, you will always take stress.  Getting an action when you crash is a big deal.  I can't think of another mechanic that allows the crashing ship to get an action, without help from a friend.  Always taking a stress when you crash is an equalizer.  Being able to elect to take the action and then in effect elect to take the stress is a really flexible option.

I think that you shouldn't take the stress if you crash without taking the action, but I was also in the camp that thought you needed to take the TL to get the free boost from R7-T1.  When the VT is officially released, I hope that FFG FAQs and clarifies this.  I'm not so sure it's a closed case that the action and stress are coupled together.  I can absolutely see it being that you take the stress whenever you crash, whether you take the action or not.  I hope that's not how it works, but it's possible it does.

Edited by Rinehart, 25 August 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#10 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:01 PM

The Dauntless Title should work that if you don't take the action you don't take the stress, but it may not.  As mentioned above the FAQ entry on R7-T1 poses an interesting problem.

After you execute a maneuver that causes you to overlap another ship, you may perform one free action. Then receive 1 stress token.

While the R7-T1 ruling is certainly a mess, I'm not going to take it as precedent for this because we have an even closer precedent in Push the Limit.

If we take the R7-T1 approach then (pun intended) Push the Limit causes you to gain a stress after every action, regardless of whether you take the second action or not.  There might be a possible explanation for Dauntless taking stress on every collision (if not a strong one, IMHO ;) ) but I don't think anyone believes Push the Limit should be giving you stress for every action whether you take the second one or not.

FFG screwed up with R7-T1, the wording is a mess that fell victim to their so-bad-it's-starting-to-feel-intentional bad templating and inconsistent wording, so it got a ruling based on the intent.  Trying to use it as a precedent for what "...Then" wording means has a number of pretty serious other impacts, including both Dauntless and Accuracy Corrector.  That's the thing that gets me...  Push the Limit pretty clearly establishes "...Then," as meaning "If you do,".  They wanted something different with R7-T1 - fine, I can understand the limitations of dealing with previous cards...  but to keep turning out NEW cards with the same "Then" meaning, other than the single one...  <sigh>

#11 Rinehart

Rinehart

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:56 PM

While the R7-T1 ruling is certainly a mess, I'm not going to take it as precedent for this because we have an even closer precedent in Push the Limit.

If we take the R7-T1 approach then (pun intended) Push the Limit causes you to gain a stress after every action, regardless of whether you take the second action or not.  There might be a possible explanation for Dauntless taking stress on every collision (if not a strong one, IMHO ;) ) but I don't think anyone believes Push the Limit should be giving you stress for every action whether you take the second one or not.

FFG screwed up with R7-T1, the wording is a mess that fell victim to their so-bad-it's-starting-to-feel-intentional bad templating and inconsistent wording, so it got a ruling based on the intent.  Trying to use it as a precedent for what "...Then" wording means has a number of pretty serious other impacts, including both Dauntless and Accuracy Corrector.  That's the thing that gets me...  Push the Limit pretty clearly establishes "...Then," as meaning "If you do,".  They wanted something different with R7-T1 - fine, I can understand the limitations of dealing with previous cards...  but to keep turning out NEW cards with the same "Then" meaning, other than the single one...  <sigh>

It's a mess, and I agree with you.  I don't think that they will make us always take a stress on a collision.  It doesn't feel like that's the intent.  But, R7-T1 surprised the hell out of me.  So, I'm not going to be certain that the stress isn't required yet.

#12 TezzasGames

TezzasGames

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:22 PM

Both of them have an If...Then statement.  A lot of us thought that in order to get R7-T1s free boost action, you would need to have aquired the TL.  But the FAQ entry says you don't.  If says the Free boost action is independent of the TL.

You're incorrect regarding the cards Dauntless and R7-T1 both having an "If...Then statement".

The word "If" is printed on the R7-T1 card.

The word "If" is not printed on the Dauntless card.  You're reading something that isn't there.

Dauntless is worded similarly to Push the Limit.  Push the Limit does not have the word "If" printed on it either.

Play X-Wing at Tezza's Games Shop.

60 Palmerston Street, Melton, Victoria, Australia.

Tezza's Games Facebook

We also sell and play lots of other games, including Diskwars and X-Wing!

#13 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

Yeah... except the argument doesn't really stem from being an "If... Then" statement.  It's the fact that they're both "may... Then" statements.  Granted so is Push the Limit.  Which of course means that we don't have any good precedent to really go by (though I anticipate this being ruled such that you only get the stress if you take the action).

#14 TezzasGames

TezzasGames

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

Dauntless is templated similarly to Push the Limit.  I don't see why Dauntless would function differently to Push the Limit.

R7-T1 has nothing to do with this thread.  The whole card is templated differently.  R7-T1 has the "Action" header and it also uses the word "If".  It's like trying to compare apples and oranges.

• DR4CO likes this

Tezza's Games Facebook

#15 Smuggler

Smuggler

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:10 AM

R7-T1 has the "Action" header and it also uses the word "If".  It's like trying to compare apples and oranges.

And is comparing apples and oranges realy that bad? They are both round, the are both fruits... They have a lot in common. ;)

#16 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

R7-T1 has the "Action" header and it also uses the word "If".  It's like trying to compare apples and oranges.

Would you care to elaborate on why having the Action header means the card should be read differently?  Does "Then..." mean something different in an action compared to a non-action?

Because by far the standard is that you perform things the same, regardless of whether they're actions or not.  There is no difference in how you acquire a target lock from an ability (e.g. Dutch) or from an action.  I can't think of a single example where you read an ability differently if it's started via action.

#17 StephenEsven

StephenEsven

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:06 AM

Common for all cards with a Then is it is preceeded by some kind of condition that must have been fulfilled. In the case of R7-T1, the confusion was that the second Then had 2 conditions you preceeding it, and some people thought it was related to the second condition (chose to target lock), but FFG intended it to be the same condition as for optionally acquiring a target lock (if you are inside the firing arc of the chosen ship).

So I think it is safe to assume that you only get the stress if you chose to take the free action, which is the same condition we all know from Push the Limit and Experimental Interface.

Owns: A Lot of Models.

Author of the ALTERNATE X-Wing Miniatures data files for ArmyBuilder. Alternate update site now here.

#18 TezzasGames

TezzasGames

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

Because by far the standard is that you perform things the same, regardless of whether they're actions or not. 

That should be an obvious goal for card templating.

In this thread, it is clear that Dauntless is templated very similarly to Push the Limit.  Therefore, Dauntless should act very similarly to Push the Limit.

Both of those cards are templated differently to R7-T1 because they are triggered, not activated.

Edited by TezzasGames, 26 August 2014 - 02:47 AM.

Tezza's Games Facebook

#19 dvor

dvor

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

Both of them have an If...Then statement.

R7-T1 has a conditional sentence but the word "then" is not part of it. The conditional sentence terminates at the period immediately before the word "then".

conditional sentence: If you are inside that ship's firing arc, you may acquire a target lock on that ship.

conditional clause: If you are inside that ship's firing arc ...

consequence clause: ... you may acquire a target lock on that ship.

Proper English omits the word "then" at the beginning of a consequence clause.

The sentence starting with "then" is not part of that if ... then statement. That leaves only one possible meaning for the word "then": After that.

X-wing is played over a series of game rounds. Turn is a type of maneuver.

#20 StephenEsven

StephenEsven

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:12 PM

That is not true. Then does indeed point to the preceeding condition.

Othetwise a ship with Push the Limit should get stressed every turn regardless of wethwr it took the oprional free action drom its action bar.

And I am pretty sure everybody, including you, plays hhat card so you only get stress when you opt to take the free action

Owns: A Lot of Models.

Author of the ALTERNATE X-Wing Miniatures data files for ArmyBuilder. Alternate update site now here.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS