• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Werepanda

Werepanda

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:50 PM

Hello fellow world trekkers!

I was wondering if anyone else had superstitions that they use to "placate" the game. I am thinking of ways to draw cards, roll dice, places that they won't go as certain characters, etc or even just weird things that happen in the games. My group might be crazy but we have learned to always roll at least 2 dice if possible. A single roll (or reroll) almost always ends in failure. So we tend to spend spare clues (if there are any) in groups of two, rather than one by one.

Yes, we might be crazy but if we are, the game has certainly driven us there.

How about you?

Edited by Werepanda, 27 August 2014 - 11:38 AM.

• Devon Greatwolf likes this

#2 Devon Greatwolf

Devon Greatwolf

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:16 PM

Even though I personally, and my revolving group, do not have any set "superstitions" per se, I do find this interesting and very flavorful of the game.  It never hurts to appease the GOO's while one is looking to obtain the power to defeat them!

4 X-Wing Core Sets, 2 Imperial Aces, 6 Tie Fighters, 5 Interceptors, 4 Tie Advanced, 2 Bombers, 2 Lamdas, 4 Slave 1's, 1 Tie Defender, 3 X-wings, 5 A-wings, 3 Y-wings, 3 B-wings, 3 YT-1300's, 2 HWK's... Star Wars LCG - 2 Core Sets, 2 EoD, and all expansions through current; Android: Netrunner LCG - 2 Core Sets and all expansions through current; A Game of Thrones LCG - 2 Core Sets and all expansions through current; Elder Sign w/Unseen Forces, Eldritch Horror w/Foresaken Lore, Warhammer Fantasy: Disk Wars with all current expansions

#3 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

Lucky spots

I don't believe in lucky dice, i believe in "positive spots" on the gaming surface, usualy the kitchen table. And it changes depending on the game and what items are on the table. Rolling on a certain spot (let(s say neat the left side of the game board willl result in high rolls while rolling on the other side of the board will result in poor rolls. This "superstition" probably developed from dice getting "cocked" by coming in contact with other game pieces. Still its odd how it seems to work. We were once playing risk legacy and i kept rolling  fives and sixes while my friend barely managed a four. 5we were both using the same dice) So I told him, roll your dice in the area where im rolling mine, see if it makes a difrence... And bam: instant improvement! He starts rolling fives and sixes aswell! After about five rolls he started rolling poorly again, but for a minute it seemed like "the lucky spot" was working!

#4 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:57 PM

Opening CCG booster packs.

I'm told that some people have entire rituals for opening booster packs. I don't have any rituals. Usaly i'll go by some gut feeling or trying to feel if the pack contains a foil card. I have however picked up some superstitions about buying booster packs:

1: Buying boosters from diffrent games at the same time will result in bad cards in these boosters, i don't know why that should be, Its not as if the cards get yealous...

2: when while looking trough booster packs, if a pack should drop I'll pick it up and buy it. This started because the first time i did that it had a realy good card in it. Usualy it doesn't even hold true...

I don't consider myself especially lucky when cracking booster packs altough my friends and the local store owner do. This he told me happened a few years ago: two guys came into his store bought several boxes of the WoW CCG in search of one particular card (they told him). they got trough 3 boxes without finding the ultra rare card and left dissapointed. Then i came in bought a boardgame and 5 boosters and woulmdn't you know it? i got the ultra rare.

One of my friends when we are at the store together lets me pick his boosters for me, believing i get him the good cards. So one day i go by my gut feeling and pick the top magic booster, and my friend starts to complain i didn't put in enough effort. Fine, i take the booster my gut told me was a good one and i search for another one for him.  We open the packs and my friend got a rare (thankfully in one of his fave colors)  but i got a Nicol Bolas planeswalker mythic rare. (Not that valuable but it beats a standard green rare) Thats about as lucky as i get with my packs (well ecxcept for the booster with the mythic and foil mythic rare, but even my friend managed that)

Edited by Robin Graves, 22 August 2014 - 04:58 PM.

#5 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

Superstition brings misfortune.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#6 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

My "blessed Horshoe Armor", "Shillelagh of four-leaf clovers" and "Lucky Boxershorts" dissagree...

#7 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,262 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:52 PM

My "blessed Horshoe Armor", "Shillelagh of four-leaf clovers" and "Lucky Boxershorts" dissagree...

LOL :D

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#8 Majeh

Majeh

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

Aprrantly having someone talk like a old timey rich southern plantation owner tends to net our group better mythos, but as soon as its stops the ancient ones strike with a vengence

#9 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:56 AM

Aprrantly having someone talk like a old timey rich southern plantation owner tends to net our group better mythos, but as soon as its stops the ancient ones strike with a vengence

so it would sound somethining like this?

"I say boy! Ahm an investagater an ah want ya ta tell meh all about what them here mi-go fellers are-a doing in them hills, boy!"

#10 Malice1973

Malice1973

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

When my group for some reason are about to roll a lot of dice, we very quickly shush any player who mentions how easy the roll should be, in case the game is listening... today I fought the Winged Serpent Epic Monster with 8 dice attacks, twice rolling only one success before a desperate retreat, rest and return blessed for 12 successes (thank you shotgun). Yig still won unfortunately. :( 

#11 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:16 AM

Oh yes, the "I roll a bucketload of dice, so even a trained monkey will have no problems succeeding" mentality. I was teaching the game to a friend on Saturday and he thought the same. Well, he was wrong. One player I play with regularly is another prime example. When he failes that roll, he starts whining about how Caylus is the queen of all games because there is no randomness. It always amuses me.

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#12 Werepanda

Werepanda

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Famous last words (to another player): It's easy, just don't roll a one . . .

#13 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:23 AM

James can always be relied on to roll a 1.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#14 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:29 AM

Saying "just don't roll a 20!" doesn't work.

A friend of mine who plays warhammer has another superstition: Don't bother rolling the artilery dice afer you have called them the "misfire dice" they WILL roll the misfire result now.

#15 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

Basically any Game-Keep the Beer on the Right :) 

A Dwarf in Winter

#16 Weltenreiter

Weltenreiter

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

I have 2 36er boxes of small D6es handy I use to supply people in the game (I myself use original dice plus some bigger extras) that I otherwise use as damage and mana markers for Mage Wars, a red and a purple one.

The box we pick to use ALWAYS rolls crap.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS