Group Obligation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Raistlinrox

Raistlinrox

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

Has anyone ever tried to give a group as a whole an Obligation? Or should I give an amount to each PC? I'm asking because the group got into a gunfight on Ryloth and ended up killing several police units, so I thought about giving the group a Bounty. Would it be best to do it on an individual basis, or could I give the whole group the Obligation?

#2 Col. Orange

Col. Orange

• Members
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

I think your instincts are right - group obligation is the way to go.  Otherwise you're going to run into problems where you roll it for one PC so they're stressed out but the rest of the criminals are fine that week.  When one of them feels the law getting close, they should all be concerned.

Edited by Col. Orange, 22 August 2014 - 02:25 AM.

What's written above is meant with love

#3 Naglareph

Naglareph

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:28 AM

Yeah Group obligation is way to go.
Then if you want to play with some other people and that one of the PC's has a previous and still active groupe obligation I would divide by two or three and then apply it to the whole group.

May the Force be with you.

I II III IV V VI

#4 Dampe

Dampe

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:30 AM

I've given my group Obligation several times when the action that gave them obligation included everyone in the group.

In your situation, i would have given the obligation to the group.

#5 Shawnacy

Shawnacy

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:33 AM

Hard to say because I see it two ways.

1. Giving individual obligation to each player would open up the opportunity for each player to deal with that obligation seperately. You could, for example, determine that the actions of one player cleared his name with that planet's law enforcement and they have lifted the bounty on him only. The rest of his team would still have to be concerned. Regarding the roll each game to determine if obligation is triggered I believe this also still works on individual player basis because it is possible that one character is suffering more from the bounty mentally than the rest of the team. 2 strain for him. 1 for everyrone else.
  2. Giving obligation to the entire group makes it more of a joint effort to solve, and also allows for a much larger obligation amount to be given. If I gave a party of four an obligation of 20 bounty, and they split it four ways, they would each have 5. That's a pretty small bounty for each of them comparitively. I also coulnd't really give each of them a bounty of 20 because every game would guarantee obligation being triggered. But if you gave them 20 bounty as a group it would seem like a large amount, that would still have a 1 in 5 chance of triggering. If it does, I recommend two strain on each member of the team.

#6 CaptainRaspberry

CaptainRaspberry

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

I'd split up the Obligation and assign an equal piece to each player (probably around 5), but during the Obligation roll I would definitely treat it as a group value. That way, they're all stuck with it as a group, but each has their own little responsibility.

Sic transit gloria.

#7 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:47 AM

Has anyone ever tried to give a group as a whole an Obligation?

Don't see why someone wouldn't.

I'll be doing this in my campaign to represent that they still owe some down on their ship (and as a narrative hook).

I'm asking because the group got into a gunfight on Ryloth and ended up killing several police units, so I thought about giving the group a Bounty.

Did anyone stand out as the "instigator" or "most Murder Hoboey"? If so give a "Group Ob" and then slap that PC with an extra side helping of Obligation to represent his "ringleader" status. Say that his Wanted Poster is a higher amount or only lists "Dead" as an option or something to throw some fear in his cold, craven, heart... ;)

#8 OggDude

OggDude

I'll see you on the Dark Side of the Moon

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

[Shameless Plug]  My character generator supports group obligation via groups in the GM Tools.  When group sheets are printed, it combines personal and group obligation (and duty) into a single table.

Morality, on the other hand, is a personal value, so it won't be supported for groups in the upcoming F&D release of the software.

• Col. Orange likes this

Oggy

Get the latest SW Character Generator and GM Tools (Version 1.3.4.0, Released 10/30/2014) 

Drop BoxManual Install  Web Install     Google DriveManual Install  Web Install

#9 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:26 AM

I've done group obligation. Just treat the group as a separate character on the chart and assign it a value. When it is triggered everyone could get the penalties.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#10 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

OggDude, I didn't realize your program did that! I had given each of my PCs a 5-point obligation due to being wanted by the Empire, but it's more appropriately a group obligation.

Thanks!

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#11 Raistlinrox

Raistlinrox

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for all the input. And yea, one PC DID definitely start the fight, so maybe I'll give the group a 15 or 20 pt obligation, and that player a few extra points to himself.

Edited by Raistlinrox, 22 August 2014 - 11:50 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS