Advice re Starting Rogue Trader

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Yeah, Rogue Traders and retinues are all about pomp, and remembrance; they want, along with everything, to literally write their name in the stars, for everyone to read, and even after they are long dead, and their successors have either raised their place in the scheme of things to even higher planes, or screwed up, and burned it all down, to be THE member of their Dynasty remembered. Winterscale's Realm has grown vast, and many have borne the Warrant, but Sebastian Winterscale is still the one remembered.

To the point, a signature piece of gear can help to remind people who they are. Marneus Calgar might be a great and powerful Astartes, Chapter Master of the Ultramarines, and a riveting tactician, but I, at least, always first remember the dual powerfists. One of my RT story characters, Aedan Qel-Drake, is famous for carrying an inferno pistol; he actually almost never uses it; why would he need to, most of the time, where he goes, but such a rare, iconic item is easily recalled, and can be hard to duplicate, should someone want to impersonate Qel-Drake. Like the Dragon's Ire, such a set of dueling pistols, or some similar item, might be handed down as an emblem, to the next Trader, sort of as proof, like an Inquisitor's rosette. It's actual use can be minor; in a game of D&D I played, my character was the heir to a throne, and the proof was a broken sword he carried. It certainly wasn't usable, and wasn't repairable, either, but it was a sign that he was who he claimed to be.

• Decessor, Blood Pact and Trailblazer like this

#22 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

You were Aragorn Elessar Telcontar, Called Strider, Chief of the Dunidain, son of Arathorn, heir to the kingdoms of Arnor and Gondor, Last of the line of Numinorian Kings?

(also, I totally agree with your point.)

Edited by Quicksilver, 29 August 2014 - 11:50 AM.

90% of the time I'm posting without access to rulebooks.  Unless I say otherwise, assume everything is I.I.R.C.

#23 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:22 AM

Well, Aragorn got on with more Eldar than Qel-Drake did, at one, much to Aedan's chagrin, but he does have a cool power sword with an awesome story (IMO) to show for it, and no "space-herpes", which, with Narsil-->Anduril, I guess is again a point shared with Aragorn. Luckily for the wily Qel-Drake, he's not quite so reserved as Strider is, or he'd be terminally bored.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS