Wizkids' second try

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:56 AM

Not only do they make floppy Star Trek models, but they're going to make a weird dragon game too? I do like that they've got ground forces involved (from what I hear), but this sounds like it's going to be awful. I'll stick to X-Wing for now. And maybe Sails of Glory. I forgot about that game.

"Some goals are so worthy it is glorious even to fail."

#102 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 2,914 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:16 AM

its too bad it sounds like this is a bad company...
id totally be down to mix some dragons and xwing. sounds like wacky fun

Pretty sure during the marvel comic run they had dragons in some stories, 70s were weird time man...so I'm told I didn't exist of course until the 80s.
I'll just leave these here. http://starwars.wiki...iki/Duinuogwuinhttp://starwars.wiki...i/Condor_dragonhttp://starwars.wiki...er_krayt_dragon
I mainly suppressed memories of the ewok movies so forgot about that one, knew about krayt dragons but they don't fly so didn't count them, never heard of the space dragons weird and interesting.

Thanks for links.

Edited by Hobojebus, 23 August 2014 - 11:17 AM.

#103 Nick Storm

Nick Storm

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:20 AM

Steeerike Two....

#104 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

You know something went wrong with this game when it's about armies supported by dragons... and it's set in the Forgotten Realms instead of the Dragonlance setting.

As for dragonriders in the Napoleonic setting, I'm going to have to go read those books soon. Hopefully those are turned into a movie, and eventually games. :)

Silly WoTC, you HAD a dragonrider setting and you pissed it away. Now that might become the in-thing and you'll seem like a "me too" if you try to make use of it AFTER any Peter Jackson movies come out.

Sadly, I don't think the Temeraire series is every going to make it to the screen (big or small - Jackson said he wants to make it into a miniseries).
  • swimmingordy likes this
It's not easy being green.

#105 R22

R22

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:46 AM

sn4fc4b756.jpg

EDIT: [sic, "you're"]

Edited by R22, 23 August 2014 - 11:47 AM.

• Punning Pundit and Ghaerdon like this

Rebels: 5 X-wing, 2 Y-wing, 3 Z-95, 5 A-wing, 4 B-wing, 2 E-wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Imps: 5 TIE/Ln, 5 TIE/In, 3 TIE/B, 2 TIE/D,1 TIE/Adv, 1 TIE/P, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31

*1 Imperial Aces, 2 Rebel Aces included within total*

Want: YT-2400, VT-49

#106 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 753 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:46 PM

If you buy a WizKids game and expect anything from it you deserve a kick in the ass.  

#107 WonderWAAAGH

WonderWAAAGH

Oasean Ork

• Members
  • 3,475 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:57 PM

If you buy a WizKids game and expect anything from it you deserve a kick in the ass.

What if you expect disappointment?
It's not easy being green.

#108 gentgeen

gentgeen

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

If you buy something expecting to be disappointed, then yes, you deserve a kick in the pants.

• Vorpal Sword and Hobojebus like this

#109 Davor

Davor

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 01:08 PM

Oh those wiz kids paint jobs! Ick...

Explain me this then. Painted minis are cheap, unpainted, unassembled minis cost 5X more. Complain about what you will about WizKids, they prices are still cheaper than the alternative. 

Sorry for being off topic. On topic now. I wonder if this will dilute the X-wing. By that I mean, isn't WizKids now and I guess FFG by giving out the licences watering down the Flight Path system now? For someone who doesn't know, and see X-wing for the first time, then can groan and then say, "great, another Flight Path System game, how unique."

I forget which game made the Flight Path system unique, then X-wing adopted it, made it cool, but now, with WizKids having a licence I can start seeing this as another board game now. The uniqueness that X-wing I believe made popular (because I never herd of it until X-wing came out) the flavour might become stale now with too much Flight Path games out there now. 

#110 Punning Pundit

Punning Pundit

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:14 PM

its too bad it sounds like this is a bad company... 
id totally be down to mix some dragons and xwing.  sounds like wacky fun

Pretty sure during the marvel comic run they had dragons in some stories, 70s were weird time man...so I'm told I didn't exist of course until the 80s.

You kids today. You don't know how good you have it. Back in my day we didn't make out elders feel old by being young.

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#111 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,874 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 02:31 PM

Explain me this then. Painted minis are cheap, unpainted, unassembled minis cost 5X more. Complain about what you will about WizKids, they prices are still cheaper than the alternative. 

Sorry for being off topic. On topic now. I wonder if this will dilute the X-wing. By that I mean, isn't WizKids now and I guess FFG by giving out the licences watering down the Flight Path system now? For someone who doesn't know, and see X-wing for the first time, then can groan and then say, "great, another Flight Path System game, how unique."

I forget which game made the Flight Path system unique, then X-wing adopted it, made it cool, but now, with WizKids having a licence I can start seeing this as another board game now. The uniqueness that X-wing I believe made popular (because I never herd of it until X-wing came out) the flavour might become stale now with too much Flight Path games out there now.
And once you factor in buying tons of boxes to get what you want (randomized) or dropped cash in the second hand market (chase rares!) then you pay way more for poorly painted.

They are pretty aweful...but then again, I haven't bought anything from them in like 7-8 years so maybe they're better now, but looking at the difference between the red and the metallic it looks like we're in for more "rarity" again.

#112 Punning Pundit

Punning Pundit

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:24 PM

I actually like the idea of a DND flightpath game quite a bit. There have been a few attempts at removing the RPG elements from DND over the past few years, and bringing it back to its wargaming roots. If WizKids makes this into a land-battles game, and uses dragons as Harriers/A-10s, it could work quite well. Or, perhaps a better analogy: the StarCraft 2 Viking unit.

But as much as I love this game conceptually, everything I've heard about WizKids reminds me of the worst practices of the F2P part of the games industry. Not the entire F2P games industry, some "free" games are quite good and non-abusive. But when people start to feel like they're not getting value for their money, when a company starts "rebalancing" in a way that seems to erode the value of past purchases, with power creep that keeps players constantly needing new stuff...

These complaints seem very plausible to me. I very specifically like Fantasy Flight because I generally feel like I'm getting a good deal. I do know that Fantasy Flight will _always_ be releasing expansions, but I feel like they're going to lure me in with new possibilities, rather than lock me out of my current games. The distinction is important.

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

#113 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:13 AM

As a fun fact the retail price is $49.99, granted that is half the cost of Armada but for an X-Wing clone that is a tad steep.

Psst, you know X-wing is already a clone right?

Psst, you know Wings of War was already a clone, right?

#114 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 420 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

Let's see if we can figure out why there's a price difference...

Heroclix:

cr028f_1.jpg

Star Trek Attack Wing:

568091_sm-.JPG

D&D Attack Wing:

Starter-Dragons.jpg

X-Wing:

SWX06.jpg

Warhammer 40K:

CS_Helbrute2.jpg

What you get out of X-Wing is very high quality for the price. What you get out of WizKids is sub-par. What you get from GW is a really high quality miniature but requires painting skills.

• haslo likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS