Wizkids' second try

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Animewarsdude

Animewarsdude

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

I remember people saying that they wanted to see how the Dungeons and Dragons versions of X wing looked so I found this video of a promo for it for Dungeons and Dragons: Attack Wing...... I guess they couldn't even change the sub title..

Edited by Animewarsdude, 21 August 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#2 Urrgok

Urrgok

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:39 AM

This is some kind of bizarre prank, right?

• haslo, Xebeche and YwingAce like this

#3 Jo Jo

Jo Jo

• Members
  • 690 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

Nope its been in development for a while.

"And then, we'll remind the Rebellion what war is all about." 

#4 Scizzler

Scizzler

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

That guy's face is like, "I'm getting so much free stuff to feign interest that it's not even funny."

• haslo, Iffo, InvestFDC and 12 others like this

I've got ships for days

#5 RogueLieutenant

RogueLieutenant

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

hard pass. 

• Soulfly626 likes this

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

#6 Omnitron310

Omnitron310

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

This does seem really odd. It's like, so we have these rules for a dogfighting game, where can we use them? Starfighter combat in the Star Wars universe? Great! Capital ships in the Star Trek universe? Not perfect, but good enough I guess. D&D dragons and stuff? Erm...

• haslo, oneway and YwingAce like this

#7 Animewarsdude

Animewarsdude

• Members
  • 95 posts

As a fun fact the retail price is $49.99, granted that is half the cost of Armada but for an X-Wing clone that is a tad steep.

#8 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,571 posts

This is some kind of bizarre prank, right?

Yes, it absolutely is. Unfortunately, it's a prank being practiced by WotC and Wizkids on fans of minis games, Flightpath, and/or D&D, so it's a real product.

Fortunately, it's both a Wizkids product and a D&D licensed product, which means its total lifespan is going to be about six months. Then production will stop, and in ten years someone will tell a new minis gamer "Hey, did you know D&D once tried to do a dogfighting dragons game? No, really--check Wikipedia."

Edited by Vorpal Sword, 21 August 2014 - 07:54 AM.

• haslo, Herowannabe, Iffo and 18 others like this

#9 Osoroshii

Osoroshii

龍神

• Members
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

I first heard about this D&D game a year ago. Yes, this is very real and they even had figures on display at the WizKids booth at GenCon. I am absolutely not interested in this game whatsoever. This game would have been better if one of two things happened. Either FFG developed it or Wizards Of The Coast. The fact the WizKids are behind it means the line will soar for a little while until they burn it out.

#10 Omnitron310

Omnitron310

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:58 AM

In all fairnes, after watching that video, a few of the unique rules seem kinda neat. Unfortuantely, I can't see this having enough depth for any kind of longevity; how many different dragons are there anyway, and how can they all be made unique from each other?

#11 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

In all fairnes, after watching that video, a few of the unique rules seem kinda neat. Unfortuantely, I can't see this having enough depth for any kind of longevity; how many different dragons are there anyway, and how can they all be made unique from each other?

There are ten kinds of dragons in D&D lore (evil dragons are red, black, green, blue, and white; good dragons are gold, silver, bronze, copper, and brass). Each dragon also gets substantially larger as it ages and acquires increasing magical power, so they're actually set for a while if they can sell it.
  • stegocent and Punning Pundit like this

#12 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,088 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

The good thing I can see out of this is that a good company, FFG, gets money from the Flightpath license. I guess that's about it.

• haslo, Joe Boss Red Seven, Hobojebus and 1 other like this
Be seeing you.

#13 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

I like the idea of ground units.

• stegocent and Rob Jedi like this
Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

#14 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,596 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:06 AM

Oh those wiz kids paint jobs! Ick...

If the ground troops look decent I'll have to give it a shot but likely just a few pieces here and there.

And

Of course

Who's into mixing Xwing and dragons?!?!?!?!?!??!?!
  • stegocent, Martel and ImperialMajor like this

#15 Cremate

Cremate

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

I've seen some of the ground troops in another preview. Could be that they were just beta versions, but they certainly didn't look impressive.

Edited by Cremate, 21 August 2014 - 08:09 AM.

#16 apshaiTerp

apshaiTerp

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

I think the ground units concept is unique, but it's been conspicuously absent in anything they've been presenting yet.  I also think the idea of the dragon's behavior changing whether it's flying or landed on the ground interesting, if confusing.  There's a separate movement dial apparently for flying and grounded.

I see this game appealing to D&D fans who haven't really considered getting into either Star Trek Attack Wing or X-Wing, since the models seem on par with most of the WotC minis, but much like D&D, I see things bogging down a lot more with a lot more things to keep track of.  One of the things I like about X-Wing is the quick pace, and for the time and money this is going to cost, I'd rather play Descent.

Edited by apshaiTerp, 21 August 2014 - 08:10 AM.

#17 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Yeah...no.

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda

#18 DreadStar

DreadStar

• Members
  • 855 posts

Yeah, there are like 6-7 different ages for each dragon. And then, they can also put names on those dragons. If they wanted, it could go on forever. But i am really not interested.

#19 DreadStar

DreadStar

• Members
  • 855 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

Who's into mixing Xwing and dragons?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

I would prefer to play  against prequels fleets before that happens.

• millernumber1, AdmiralThrawn and Hobojebus like this

#20 PenguinBonaparte

PenguinBonaparte

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:15 AM

Wow, so smarmy! I'm surprised those minis don't look that bad though. (Yeah, their metalic paint continues to be horrid.) If only WK showed 1/5 as much care with Star Trek...

Edited by PenguinBonaparte, 21 August 2014 - 08:16 AM.

• Vorpal Sword and stegocent like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS