Trouble in Tharbad

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Am i the only one that dislikes the art on Haldir? I'm not saying it's bad i'm just saying i would have liked something more Magali-eque for this awesome card, to fit in with my other elves.

I'm personally sick of Magali being on everything, especially every elf. Now, before you go nuts, I do like her style and detail, and I think she's extremely talented, but I prefer to see her when her style fits the card. She could've made a great Haldir I'm sure, but she's already done pretty much ALL the elves. I really welcome seeing elves not done by Magali. Blood of Numenor is a great example of a card that works great with her art. She should make more like that.   

Why would i go nuts lol? You completely misunderstood my comment by the way, I said i would like "Magali-esque" artwork, not that i wanted the artwork to be done by her. See the difference?

I just would have preferred something more beautiful and elf-like to what we got. 

But i still think it's good, just not as good as it could have been.

Edited by Djenni, 21 August 2014 - 06:58 PM.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#22 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

Ah alright, it seems I misunderstood you. But then again why would you want Magali-esque art? You mean like Alexandre Dainche, which is pretty much the same? I mean if you're having Magali-style artwork, you better get Magali artwork.

I appreciate the different art style for an elf.

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#23 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

I personally find Haldir's art excellent, and not only because of a change in pace. Magali is great but in this case, Haldir is perfect (that beautifully green scenery :o).
  • joezim007 and PsychoRocka like this

#24 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:00 PM

Ah alright, it seems I misunderstood you. But then again why would you want Magali-esque art? You mean like Alexandre Dainche, which is pretty much the same? I mean if you're having Magali-style artwork, you better get Magali artwork.

I appreciate the different art style for an elf.

Yeah exactly like Alexandre Dainche, i just used "Magali-esque" for the lack of a better word. :)

What i really wanted was something that feels poetic, beautiful & divine you know, really captures the ambiance of the elves.

Edited by Djenni, 21 August 2014 - 08:00 PM.

#25 JsBingley

JsBingley

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:54 PM

I just care about we get Gwaihir

• gandalfDK likes this

#26 c08

c08

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:38 AM

Marvelous.

One of two things I was missing in LOTR was the use of "Ranged" characters in solo play which obviously is supported in this expansion pack.

Second thing is "Sentinel" keyword which I hope also will be supported in solo play.

#27 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:49 AM

Marvelous.

One of two things I was missing in LOTR was the use of "Ranged" characters in solo play which obviously is supported in this expansion pack.

Second thing is "Sentinel" keyword which I hope also will be supported in solo play.

There is monsters like bats from distant mirkwood cycle who can be attacked or defended only by characters with ranged or something.

• gandalfDK likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#28 gandalfDK

gandalfDK

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:36 AM

Yeah, JtR has some bats that can only be attacked and defended by ranged a.k.a Legolas or eagles.

‘If more of us valued food and cheer and a game of Lotr Lcg above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.’ – Thorin Oakenshield

#29 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Hands upon the Bow made ranged relevant to solo for me.
Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#30 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

Black Arrow.

#31 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

Great Yew Bow

#32 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:53 PM

Just picked up my pack.  I was flipping through the cards and wondered: does Herald of Anorien require a resource match when putting the second ally into play?  I don't think so.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#33 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:00 PM

Why would he?

#34 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

Just picked up my pack.  I was flipping through the cards and wondered: does Herald of Anorien require a resource match when putting the second ally into play?  I don't think so.

From the release article:

"Herald of Anórien (Trouble in Tharbad, 57) arrives. Better yet, if you feel you’re truly doomed, you can give the Herald “doomed 2” when you play him and bring into play another ally of printed cost two or less. In this way, the Herald even allows you – or a teammate – to recruit allies that don’t match your spheres of influence, expanding your deck-building options by allowing a mono-Leadership deck to recruit powerful allies like Gléowine (Core Set, 62) or Arwen Undómiel (The Watcher in the Water, 58), whose game texts can change how your deck functions."
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#35 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:31 PM

So is it worth it splashing Arwen in?

#36 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:41 PM

I consider Arwen one of the best usefulness-to-price ratio allies of the game.

• joezim007 likes this

#37 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

Just finished the quest with a Caldara deck. Glorfindel and Frodo assisted my new favorite heroine in beating the quest in 7 rounds. Despite my low starting threat, the encounter deck throws some pretty threat-heavy enemies and locations. My threat limit was lowered to 40, but it was never an issue in the game. In fact, the average questing deck will probably not have any problems with quest phase 1.

In phase 2, I had 4 total enemies in play and 2 locations total, despite taking on 1 enemy every round. Here threat management becomes an issue, as even 1 or 2 points can result in double engagements. Thanks to Emery and Arwen, I only lost one ally and then finished the phase in 2 turns after bringing in a Shipwright and a Northen Tracker back from the discard pile thanks to Caldara, then getting her back thanks to fortune or fate. Quite some time was spent in this phase going over engagement options and I could see it turning ugly quickly under other conditions. I never fought the nastiest enemies, Mellanarch's followers or whatever.

All in all I enjoyed *** thanks to its innovative approach to threat mechanics and the many options surrounding engagement checks and travelling options. Because a standard deck can beat it easily, I feel that its difficulty level is quite appropriate. It felt like a breath of fresh air. I plan on playing it again between harder and longer quests. 

Kudos to FFG for introducing unconventional victory conditions in the latest packs.

By the way Caldara is awesome and I highly recommend playing her!

Edit: looks like we cannot use acronyms for Trouble in Tharband without triggering the profanity filter. :D

Edited by FetaCheese, 22 August 2014 - 05:36 PM.

• iznax likes this

#38 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

Played this twice, lost the first time using the ally free deck I was using on 3 trials, not enough questing power. So I added in some allies, but it was still not super heavy on questing. I won the 2nd game, but it took 16 rounds. I was down to the 10 threat out limit. It took forever to make it through the first stage, but the second stage was cleared in 2 turns, so i found it a bit anti-climatic after the long struggle, at which point i thought i might lose many times.

Did I like the quest? Somewhat. I'll have to try it some more, with some different decks. The time mechanic was a bit of a nuisance to keep track of especially since there are tons of effects to remove counters, and even i was very close to losing many times, i never felt very frightening like it does in other quest, because the real reason for losing was more associated with the threating out mechanic rather than with being beaten into the ground by the encounter deck, so that felt really different, and in some ways it was a bit boring. Basically it felt harder than it is, but it's really not that hard.

I'll give it some more tries with some different decks to get a better sense of it.
  • FetaCheese likes this

#39 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

Try a Khaza Dum era deck Tracker. An old fashioned questing deck using modern cards largely trivialises the quest. Feels something like a Shadows of Mirkwood adventure with a shiny new coat of paint. Still, this is a difficulty 4 IIRC so it is to be expected I guess. Perhaps in multiplayer it would be more of challenge, I don't know. Still, after the beating endured by Dunlendings, I don't mind something lighter. 

Edited by FetaCheese, 22 August 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#40 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

I try another deck with Haldir, and I can pretty much complete he whole quest without an enemy engaging. Having the main mechanic be about lowering your threat through questing at stage 1 along while just about every difficult enemy in the encounter deck being above 30 engagement, makes the scenario quite simple for a deck that focuses on attacking the staging area. By the time stage 2 is reached it only takes a round or 2 to win.

Overall, the scenario design is an interesting Idea, but the path to victory is so straight forward and predictable that I don't see getting much replay value out of it. That being said, i certainly do not mind this scenario every once in awhile.

I have not tried to use secrecy cards and deck on this yet. It probably could work well since the scenario makes it so easy to achieve secrecy. Although, i'm shying away from it because it's kind of a false secrecy set up by the scenario, if i took the same deck and played it against another scenario with high expectations since it did well on the current scenario, i'd probably be in for a rude awakening. Personally I'd like secrecy to be a viable option on many scenarios, and not have to be given customized quests that allow me to play that type of deck.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS