Trouble in Tharbad

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:13 AM

I have played this quest 3 times so far (all victories) when i saw the cards for the first time i thought that it will be a running quest (high will power, questing, questing and questing some more) fortunately it wasn't. So my impressions. First of all it has a very unique and fresh feel to it. The 4 difficulty of FFG is very close to reality it is definitely not hard and it is a little above easy. Lastly this is a quest that will make many people revisit (or try for the first time) secrecy.

I like to read your thoughts and you opinion about it. I personally liked it, i find it to be a really fresh, unique and loose experience.

Edited by iznax, 21 August 2014 - 02:23 AM.

• PsychoRocka likes this

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#2 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:30 AM

Sounds easy but very fun! Would you imagine higher starting threat decks (let's say oh 27 and 29 for example =p) will have a lot more difficulty with it or not really? Having to quest harder/longer to get to zero threat on stage 1 and all.

Edited by PsychoRocka, 21 August 2014 - 02:31 AM.

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#3 PsychoRocka

PsychoRocka

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:39 AM

Just realised for this particular quest on stage 1 at least Tactics has some sweet ass threat reduction for the first time with Legolas! =D after he kills an enemy, reduce each players threat by 2! (As long as there is no active location =\)Woooooo!

~Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul~

~One ring to cover the lands in complete and utter misery, one ring for the dark lord to work his wretched trickery~

#4 iznax

iznax

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:24 AM

Yes this quest opens new ways to play and approach the game. Low threat heavy questing decks can smash through the first stage, but you have to pase your play to make sure you can escape stage 2 in one to two rounds, or things can be very ugly.

(]xxxxxx[}::::::::::::::::::::>

#5 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Just got my copy in this morning, will be trying it out later today and will post my thoughts

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#6 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

It'll be a month before I'll get mine x_x

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#7 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:19 AM

It'll be at least 2 weeks before i get my copy :/

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#8 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:08 AM

What encounter card sets are used please?

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#9 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

What encounter card sets are used please?

Look at the image in the original spoiler:

MEC28-cardfan-01.png

• Bullroarer Took likes this

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#10 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:43 AM

Orcs that remove counters.

#11 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

Won my first playthrough using an updated silvan deck with Glorfindel (spirit), Celeborn, and Haldir. Even though the scenario wasnt terribly difficult, i think it was more because my deck performed phenomenally. For example, opening hand i played O'Lorien (which worked to perfection, resources were never an issue despite the tri sphere deck and i didnt even run steward!-prob first leadership deck that hasnt had it) I then was able to play a galadhrim minstrel for 1 resource, grab a feigned voice, and play a silvan refugee. Turn 2 i used my 3 resources for a defender of the naith. after staging i had 2 enemies in play, i engaged them both. used feigned voices to stop the first from attacking, returned the minstrell. Defended the second enemy with the naith defender he took one damage. used people of the forest to bring back the refugee and threw out the silvan tracker which readied up the defender. the tracker, naith defender, glorfindel, Haldir, and Nalir were all able to kill the two enemies and it was smooth sailing from there.

Naith Defender worked a lot better for me than i thought he would i encourage people to give him a chance. with silvan trackers out to heal him and any kind of defense boost (mine came from arwen) he is a very reliable defender.

It took me a while to clear stage 1 but thankfully when i got to stage 2 i had enough of an army to clear the crossing at tharbad in 2 attempts, i can see stage 2 getting pretty hectic and difficult though if things get out of control. Fun quest and one i dont really think requires a specific kind of deck to beat

Edited by Pharmboys2013, 21 August 2014 - 05:52 PM.

• PsychoRocka and GondorianFire like this

#12 Tracker1

Tracker1

• Members
  • 703 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:24 PM

Won my first playthrough using an updated silvan deck with Glorfindel (spirit), Celeborn, and Haldir. Even though the scenario wasnt terribly difficult, i think it was more because my deck performed phenomenally.  For example, opening hand i played O'Lorien (which worked to perfection, resources were never an issue despite the tri sphere deck and i didnt even run steward!-prob first leadership deck that hasnt had it) I then was able to play a rivendell mintresll for 1 resource, grab a feigned voice, and play a silvan refugee. Turn 2 i used my 3 resources for a defender of the naith. after staging i had 2 enemies in play, i engaged them both. used feigned voices to stop the first from attacking, returned the minstrell. Defended the second enemy with the naith defender he took one damage. used people of the forest to bring back the refugee and threw out the silvan tracker which readied up the defender. the tracker, naith defender, glorfindel, Haldir, and Nalir were all able to kill the two enemies and it was smooth sailing from there.

Naith Defender worked a lot better for me than i thought he would i encourage people to give him a chance. with silvan trackers out to heal him and any kind of defense boost (mine came from arwen) he is a very reliable defender.

It took me a while to clear stage 1 but thankfully when i got to stage 2 i had enough of an army to clear the crossing at tharbad in 2 attempts, i can see stage 2 getting pretty hectic and difficult though if things get out of control. Fun quest and one i dont really think requires a specific kind of deck to beat

Your post all made sense when i realized you were talking about The new Galadhrim minstrel, i forgot she was in the pack and you wrote Rivendell minstrel. I was totally confused, you played her for 1 resource first round, fetched feigned voices, returned Minstrel to hand? Huh! I had to go back and look at all the cards i thought i missed something.
  • joezim007, FetaCheese and gandalfDK like this
'At last' said Aragorn 'Here are the tracks that we seek!'

#13 joezim007

joezim007

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:54 PM

So I just realized that Herald of Anórien is sorta an Outlands card designed for mono-Leadership Outlands decks because he can help bring the non-Leadership Outlands cards into play when you don't have enough resources on Hirluin to pay for them but you have resources on other Leadership heroes.

I don't know if this is on purpose, but it's kinda irking me. I'm just glad that his applications are spread far broader than Outlands.

I once shot an arrow through the pupil of a pig's eye from 300 yards away! Sadly, I was aiming for a different pig.

#14 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:14 PM

You can even give one of these heralds this outland sword.

#15 Djenni

Djenni

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 04:37 PM

Am i the only one that dislikes the art on Haldir? I'm not saying it's bad i'm just saying i would have liked something more Magali-eque for this awesome card, to fit in with my other elves.

Most likely the only Icelandic LOTR LCG gamer around these parts.

#16 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Has Magali done anything for this game recently?  I know she's done some work for MTG.  I hope her price point has risen so far that we don't see more of her work in the future.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#17 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 910 posts

Am i the only one that dislikes the art on Haldir? I'm not saying it's bad i'm just saying i would have liked something more Magali-eque for this awesome card, to fit in with my other elves.

I'm personally sick of Magali being on everything, especially every elf. Now, before you go nuts, I do like her style and detail, and I think she's extremely talented, but I prefer to see her when her style fits the card. She could've made a great Haldir I'm sure, but she's already done pretty much ALL the elves. I really welcome seeing elves not done by Magali. Blood of Numenor is a great example of a card that works great with her art. She should make more like that.   

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#18 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 910 posts

Has Magali done anything for this game recently?  I know she's done some work for MTG.  I hope her price point has risen so far that we don't see more of her work in the future.

Um, Galadriel?

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#19 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 994 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

New news:

http://www.fantasyfl...s.asp?eidn=5008

Regarding Galadriel, it would be interesting to see when the art was commissioned.  Personally I love her work and just have to look at the Elrond ally to be reminded of it.  I don't care if she does every elf in the game frankly.

• Djenni and PsychoRocka like this

#20 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

Won my first playthrough using an updated silvan deck with Glorfindel (spirit), Celeborn, and Haldir. Even though the scenario wasnt terribly difficult, i think it was more because my deck performed phenomenally.  For example, opening hand i played O'Lorien (which worked to perfection, resources were never an issue despite the tri sphere deck and i didnt even run steward!-prob first leadership deck that hasnt had it) I then was able to play a rivendell mintresll for 1 resource, grab a feigned voice, and play a silvan refugee. Turn 2 i used my 3 resources for a defender of the naith. after staging i had 2 enemies in play, i engaged them both. used feigned voices to stop the first from attacking, returned the minstrell. Defended the second enemy with the naith defender he took one damage. used people of the forest to bring back the refugee and threw out the silvan tracker which readied up the defender. the tracker, naith defender, glorfindel, Haldir, and Nalir were all able to kill the two enemies and it was smooth sailing from there.

Your post all made sense when i realized you were talking about The new Galadhrim minstrel, i forgot she was in the pack and you wrote Rivendell minstrel. I was totally confused, you played her for 1 resource first round, fetched feigned voices, returned Minstrel to hand? Huh! I had to go back and look at all the cards i thought i missed something.

Thanks for correcting my error, will edit the previous post.

Played another match with a friend. Went a lot less smoothly since we couldn't progress until BOTH of us had our threats at zero at stage 1 and took much longer. With the time counter hate in the encounter deck our threat roof was lowered to 30 but thankfully stage 2 wasn't terribly hard to get past. Def seems like the kind of quest that increases in difficulty the more players you have but overall still not overly difficult

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS