Building Luke Skywalker

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 UncleArkie

UncleArkie

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 06:01 PM

I liked the comment about being a min/max'er so warrior - ace it is from me, mainly cus he's the son of the chosen one and the force is already strong in him even if he doesn't know what he's doing. 

• dougansf likes this

#22 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 09:23 PM

Nope, sticking with gunner. Luke is too handy with a Blaster on board the Deathstar not have a usable ranged Heavy skill. Specifically Luke's 2 Ranks of True aim he can roll 4 proficiency dice and a boost after taking an aim manuver.

Yes lets ignore any contradictory evidence or material and just have tunnel vision.

Even in the write up in WEG for Luke at the end of ANH his best skills are piloting. His template is "Brash Pilot"

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 8/9/14 'Beyond the Rim: Prologue'

Last Update 8/22/14

#23 strongarm85

strongarm85

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:24 AM

1. The Gunner still has Piloting Space as a Career skill.

2. The talents in the Gunner tree still work inside the cockpit of a Starfighter.

3. The main non-force Tallent you need to flesh out Luke by the End of A New Hope, is the "Exhaust Port". Luke needs this talent in order to overcome the Death Star's Massive Rating. Hitting the Death Star is easy. It's so big you can't miss it. The difficulty is that the Death Star would have something along the lines of Massive Rating 10. Exhaust port is an powerful tallent in that it allows you to ignore Massive Ratings entirely.

#24 UncleArkie

UncleArkie

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:32 AM

But Luke doesn't hit the exhaust port because of one of his "gunner" skills, he hits it because of he is powerful in the force. Turning off his targeting computer, remember?

• papy72 and dougansf like this

#25 Kyla

Kyla

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

But Luke doesn't hit the exhaust port because of one of his "gunner" skills, he hits it because of he is powerful in the force. Turning off his targeting computer, remember?

That's conjecture and not exclusive of the need to have "Exhaust Port."  Obi-Wan's lesson to "Let go" - was an extension of his "act on instinct" lesson earlier.  Mechanically, it could be said that what Luke did was give himself a boost through "Touch of Fate" to add two blue - probably not by itself enough to overcome Massive 10.  Other pilots probably had "Exhaust Port" as well, but that wasn't enough, because they needed the better chance afforded by "Touch of Fate."  It's possible, that as a targeting array upgrades a die, Luke was already upgraded as far as he could be, and thus would receive no benefit.  Instead, by using "Touch of Fate" he was able to increase his pool size and thus achieve the needed successes.

Edited by Kyla, 25 August 2014 - 08:53 AM.

• knasserII likes this

A girl only needs three things in life; a drink to make her strong, a man to make her weak, and good friends to pick her up when the other two knock her on her ass.

Rebels: 14 Xw, 7 Yw, 2 Aw, 2 Bw, 2 Z95, 1 HWK, 1 YT1300, 1 MedT, 2 CR90

Imperials: 13 T/ln, 3 T/sa, 3 T/in, 2 T/x1, 2 T/d, 2 V38, 1 Firespray, 1 Imp Shuttle

#26 Lareg

Lareg

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

That's conjecture and not exclusive of the need to have "Exhaust Port."  Obi-Wan's lesson to "Let go" - was an extension of his "act on instinct" lesson earlier.  Mechanically, it could be said that what Luke did was give himself a boost through "Touch of Fate" to add two blue - probably not by itself enough to overcome Massive 10.  Other pilots probably had "Exhaust Port" as well, but that wasn't enough, because they needed the better chance afforded by "Touch of Fate."  It's possible, that as a targeting array upgrades a die, Luke was already upgraded as far as he could be, and thus would receive no benefit.  Instead, by using "Touch of Fate" he was able to increase his pool size and thus achieve the needed successes.

I would also think  that he flipped a Destiny Point to achieve that, in addition to everything else.

This topic is definitely interesting, let's go on and  build Luke Skaywalker in episode 5 too, it will be most interesting.

#27 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

My take:

Starfighter Ace

Conflict: Enthusiasm/Fear

Morality: 50, +10XP

Agi upgraded to 4, and Wil to 3

He takes career and spec ranks in:

Athletics

Mechanics

Perception

Pilot:Space

Survival

Bonus Human ranks in:

Pilot:Planet

Ranged Hvy

Sits on his remaining XP

Takes a Slugthrower rifle, macro binos, and a few other odds and ends for starting gear.

Chooses "Mentor"

GM Provides a "loaner" landspeeder to cover transportation on Tatooine.

After Act/Session 1 we see him escape Tatooine, and earn 20 XP.

Realizes he's in a spaceship now, spends 5 XP to get a rank in gunnery.

Sits on remaining XP

After Act/Session 2 we see him escape Deathstar and arrive at rebel base, earning 20 more XP

Remembers Starfighters mentioned in opening crawl... goes nuts.

Buys Skilled Jockey straight down to Touch of Fate (He's decided he's going Jedi, so he's on his way to FR2). Buys a point in cool.

Uses Squadron tactics to help survive Deathstar/Vader (sorry Biggs).

Uses Touch of Fate + Dpoint + upgrade from Han's piloting advantage + double upgrade from chewie's gunnery advantage + double Aim + other stuff I forgot to shoot torpedo. (If you can figure out how to get Intuitive Strike by this point without pulling in EU I'm all ears).

Blows up Death Star, completes Act/Session 3, gets 20 more XP and a medal.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#28 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

More Fun (I'm pretty solid till the end of this one)

Completes another adventure on Ord Mantell where he temporarily gains Improved Bodyguard and uses his face to protect Han when an obligation activated bounty hunter throws a speeder windshield at him. +60 XP

Gets Move

Uses Dpoint to kill Mr. Huggy the Wampa (assuming he's got a EotE saber)

Completes Act/Scene 1 after using a Tauntaun and Dak as survival tools. +20XP

Training Montage with Yoda +20XP, fails activated Morality in the cave.

Takes Forsee

Takes Enhance + Control Horz, + Control Vert

Takes Ataru

Takes Jump, Ataru Tech, Conditioned, and Parry

Takes 2 Ranks in Saber

Yoda says he needs to get to FR2 and get more talents, Luke leaves anyway.

Sits on remaining XP.

Faces off against Boba Fett, wishes he'd gotten a rank in Ranged:Light

Faces off against Vader, wishes he'd listened to Yoda and gotten FR2 and Reflect.

Uses a D-point ot temporarily gain a yet unmentioned telepathy power to show up in another supp. (There's something with Sense here as well, but we can look at that when we do Leia)

GM says "F--- it, we've gone this far, a little more won't hurt." allows a few parting words despite lack of proper telepathy power...

Gets to rendezvous point, says good bye to Lando, and remains on medical frigate with Leia to argue about how long said frigate is. +20XP

Shadows of the Empire: +60XP

Edited by Ghostofman, 25 August 2014 - 04:51 PM.

• Kyla likes this

#29 Gigerstreak

Gigerstreak

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

Faces off against Vader, wishes he'd listened to Yoda and gotten FR2 and Reflect.

Uses a D-point ot temporarily gain a yet unmentioned telepathy power to show up in another supp. (There's something with Sense here as well, but we can look at that when we do Leia)

GM says "F--- it, we've gone this far, a little more won't hurt." allows a few parting words despite lack of proper telepathy power...

Gets to rendezvous point, says good bye to Lando, and remains on medical frigate with Leia to argue about how long said frigate is. +20XP

Oddly, it could be him using Battle Meditation to "order" her to use "Seek". Here is why.

If Luke had a FR 2 and picked up Battle Meditation, Range, and Control then he would have been able to send a simple order as part of the power (and range probably helped). 

"Leia... Hear me!" Leia gets the order and her character uses Seek. "I know where Luke is". 

Edited by Gigerstreak, 26 August 2014 - 03:49 PM.

• Kyla likes this

#30 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Oddly, it could be him using Battle Meditation to "order" her to use "Seek". Here is why.

If Luke had a FR 2 and picked up Battle Meditation, Range, and Control then he would have been able to send a simple order as part of the power (and range probably helped). 

"Leia... Hear me!" Leia gets the order and her character uses Seek. "I know where Luke is".

Possible, but that requires A LOT more XP, which I'm trying to avoid if I can. A big part of the problem (and the reason I'm leaning more toward Telepathy as a power that's just yet to be released) is we don't really see Leia or Luke do anything else that really fits either power well (at least not until the end of Jedi).

Right now the best solution I've got is Leia picks up Exile or Emergent and buys down all the range options. It's still a lot of XP, but not as much as most of the alternatives. Luke then just spends a d-point to allow her to make the check to read his thoughts out of the blue...

It's flakey, but since she can later use the power again at the end of RotJ to confirm Luke isn't space debris it's at least consistent.

#31 Rakaydos

Rakaydos

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:24 PM

Actually, I'd say Battle Meditation's telepathy works fine, without Leia needing Seek. "Search the underside of cloud city for me" should be well within the "simple order".

• dougansf likes this

#32 yeti1069

yeti1069

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:59 PM

Could also just be a GM house rule...

"C'mon! We're twin Jedi kids of the most power Jedi ever! We should get something!"

"OK! OK! You can spend a Destiny point to pass along a very brief message to each other, or to get a sense of the other's well-being or location."

#33 Gigerstreak

Gigerstreak

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Actually, I'd say Battle Meditation's telepathy works fine, without Leia needing Seek. "Search the underside of cloud city for me" should be well within the "simple order".

The reason I give it to her is because she "knows where he is" and then feels him still alive at the end of Return of the Jedi.  I wouldn't give her more than 1 FR and the base Seek power. 

• Rakaydos likes this

#34 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:08 PM

The reason I give it to her is because she "knows where he is" and then feels him still alive at the end of Return of the Jedi.  I wouldn't give her more than 1 FR and the base Seek power.

Yeah, I'm operating on the theory that Luke, Leia, and Han started ANH as starter lvl.* So adding the XP to get battle meditation is troublesome...

The fact we've gotten this far with only Telepathy and the Falcons mods being obvious issues is pretty darn goodgood though...

*Chewie could be a starter PC as well, though his low interaction means party NPC is an option. 3PO and R2 have a similar issue, though I suspect NPC with playability options would take care of them...

#35 gribble

gribble

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

*Chewie could be a starter PC as well, though his low interaction means party NPC is an option. 

Nah, it's definitely the player who decided to min/max all the combat options on his PC and sits there playing a game on their phone when any of the non-combat encounters occur...

:)

Star Wars Edge of the Empire (Beta test) resources

Reference Sheets | Combat Reference Sheet | Critical Cards | Talent Tree Reference

#36 Gigerstreak

Gigerstreak

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

Yeah, I'm operating on the theory that Luke, Leia, and Han started ANH as starter lvl.* So adding the XP to get battle meditation is troublesome...

The fact we've gotten this far with only Telepathy and the Falcons mods being obvious issues is pretty darn goodgood though...

*Chewie could be a starter PC as well, though his low interaction means party NPC is an option. 3PO and R2 have a similar issue, though I suspect NPC with playability options would take care of them...

It may be troublesome, but I thought you were trying to stat him using what we have. You are doing a good job, but just inserting "custom gm power" when we have something that can cover it makes it lose some credibility. By all means, continue, as Lando says "I was just tryin' to help."

#37 Kyla

Kyla

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:43 PM

I would say that Chewie, 3PO and R2 are all NPCs as they have previous adventures (let's consider the prequels to be the GM's last campaign).  As such, Chewie's presence could explain the modifications on the Falcon as plot device for the group.  The Falcon's tempermentality could be a GM control of these advantages as well.

A girl only needs three things in life; a drink to make her strong, a man to make her weak, and good friends to pick her up when the other two knock her on her ass.

Rebels: 14 Xw, 7 Yw, 2 Aw, 2 Bw, 2 Z95, 1 HWK, 1 YT1300, 1 MedT, 2 CR90

Imperials: 13 T/ln, 3 T/sa, 3 T/in, 2 T/x1, 2 T/d, 2 V38, 1 Firespray, 1 Imp Shuttle

#38 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:17 PM

I would say that Chewie, 3PO and R2 are all NPCs as they have previous adventures (let's consider the prequels to be the GM's last campaign).

Actually I've been going on the design that the "game" version matches the release dates. Chewie's "previous appearance" was as a background NPC, a head nod to the previous campaign, he didn't actually DO anything in the prequels, so his previous adventures were just background fluff.

3PO was wiped after EPIII, so there's no issue there.

Only R2 would generate any kind of paradox...

Currently I've got Luke as the MVP, Han behind that, and Leia behind that. Chewie is viable as a PC, as he doesn't do anything that requires above starter level and is around a lot, so he can just be played by  a "quiet type" player. 3PO and R2 are functional as PCs if needed, though for now I'm going with them a Playable NPCs (something that comes back into use when we do the Prequel Campaign) They still follow all the rules for normal character creation, (again, they never do anything that requires an advanced character) they are just handled by the GM except in situations where it makes more sense to have a player do it (for example at the battle of Yavin Leia's player [who we shall call Carrie] runs R2, since Leia isn't specced for space combat).

Prequels sees more of the Playable NPCs as we see the players finally get a chance to run characters like Yoda for a scene or two of awesomeness... because who wouldn't want thier GM to let them play Yoda for an encounter or two? In the case of R2, I'd need to review the films again, but I'm starting to bet in the prequels he can be run as a full on NPC, being statted as a rival-class character, with the gap between III and IV being the time he graduates from Rival to PC/Nemesis.... (As a side note, Qui-gon and Anakin are both run by the same player, with Anakin as a starter in TPM and advanced to Knight+TPMXP for AotC, it's kinda cool)

As such, Chewie's presence could explain the modifications on the Falcon as plot device for the group.  The Falcon's tempermentality could be a GM control of these advantages as well.

Actually I had another idea for this one, it's a little house-ruley, but not too much.

Luke is a F&D Spec, Leia is a AoR Spec, so only Han and Chewie are EotE AND that means only they have Obligation. (R2 and 3PO don't have any supporting mechanic as they aren't full PCs)

So, the Falcon starts the game with only the following upgrades for certain: 2 Quad-lasers, Smuggling compartments. Yes it "can make it to .5" but it's ability to do so doesn't actually come into play at any point in all three films, nor do any other special abilities for that matter.

Now that's still around 17-18K worth of credits, but I could see getting that in exchange for +30-40 Obligation each. After all Han's Obligation can be seen as activating in every film and even the two in-betweens, so it's likely those two fools have a pretty high rating...after all, the Krayt Fang starts out with an Ion engine upgrade and smuggling compartments...

• Kyla likes this

#39 yeti1069

yeti1069

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

Don't knock playing Chewie!

I played in a Beginner Box game to introduce some other friends to the system, grabbed the pre-generated Wookie, and decided to play him to form, so I picked one other person at the table, told them that only they could understand Shiirywook, and used grunts, growls, and yawns (when I yawn, I sound a lot like Chewie as it is), as well as miming (think charades) to get my point across, letting the other guy "translate" for the rest of the group...sometimes spot on, and sometimes not really getting my point. Worked wonderfully!

• papy72 likes this

#40 Space Monkey

Space Monkey

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:44 PM

It's a shame this thread has kinda been hijacked cos I was quite enjoying strongarm85's explanations and write-ups, and how it would progress throughout the 3 movies to the end, but now it seems he's given up :(

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS