Cholganna survivor camp map

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Conviction

Conviction

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

I'm really struggling to find a good map of this location.  I really like the one in the book but it is so small and cant be blown up well.

Ideas?  Help please!

#2 kinnison

kinnison

• Members
  • 557 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 11:50 PM

General Consensus on the forums is that there doesn't need to be a map and it should be narrative.  Having a map limits what you can or cannot do.

personally someone who is very visual, as a newer GM and long time player I have always enjoyed maps, and was disappointed that something like this was not made.

• GMmL likes this

Check out my current Campaign:

The Minos Cluster

Last session 9/6/14 'Beyond the Rim: Episode I'

Last Update 9/20/14

#3 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:33 AM

General Consensus on the forums is that there doesn't need to be a map and it should be narrative.  Having a map limits what you can or cannot do.

That is a big generalisation. I am not sure this "consensus" has ever been quantified in real numbers.

As Kinnison, I also miss maps for some locations appearing in the adventures of this game.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#4 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:37 AM

Even in a narrative game, basic maps to get an idea of location, position, size, etc... are still useful.

The maps in the Beginner boxes were helpful as they showed the size and location of major points in the city and didn't have to be fully fleshed out (most buildings that were shown weren't detailed to the nth degree with name, use, npcs, etc...).

#5 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:27 AM

There's a good thread about using Unity to build maps. You might want to check it out and see if you can take advantage of other people's work.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#6 Peroxis

Peroxis

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

I was going to make a 3D town and have it be owned by the PCs in a fantasy game RPG I was going to play.

But then I realized making the town was going to be more effort than planning my entire campaign and any other project that I had.
Still would be cool if I get good enough at modelling that I can model at speed I'll get around to it

#7 Ghostofman

Ghostofman

• Members
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

I can throw something together for ya quick if you really need it, but I don't have the book with me today. PM me with the key features and I'll take care it. (I recall guard towers, and a want to say a simple wall...but that's about it...)

Personally though I don't think a map is all that critical for the location.

MAGIC HEADPHONES PROTECT ME FROM THE SPACE!

#8 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:47 AM

I can throw something together for ya quick if you really need it, but I don't have the book with me today. PM me with the key features and I'll take care it. (I recall guard towers, and a want to say a simple wall...but that's about it...)

I also think the retreat had its back to a cliff wall with some sort of lift or ladder going up.

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#9 Conviction

Conviction

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:48 AM

There's a good thread about using Unity to build maps. You might want to check it out and see if you can take advantage of other people's work.

Yes, spent a few hours using Unity and came to the same conclusion as Peroxis.  With no background in tools like that, its a tall order.  I did get some cool assets and stuff, and had terrain sculpted, but it didn't come close to what the OP was doing with it, getting everything to the right scale, etc...  In the end I uninstalled Unity, sadly.  I wish I had the time and drive to teach myself how to use it properly.

A very generous and selfless offer!  Thank you kind sir.  Last night I worked on the map provided in the book to get a good overview of the different locations as they are discovered.  What I really want(and perhaps you can provide this) is a bigger map of the Survivor Camp(the circle map is great but just to small), as they spend several days there and engage in possibly multiple combats there etc...

Needs to have the central meeting hall, built from part of the ship wreckage, the Nexu cages, the high wall built from felled trees with a gate, the high cliff at the back of the camp, guard towers, garage/repair building where droids are worked on, and some barracks. So see, im not asking for much! :P

To be clear, I dont mind paying you for this map, I purchase stuff from Chris West and Paizo has some great Future Armada maps ive dropped money on as well.

Here are the maps I came up with, the Gimp skills are, well, can I call them skills?

Edited by Conviction, 21 August 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#10 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Yes, spent a few hours using Unity and came to the same conclusion as Peroxis.  With no background in tools like that, its a tall order.  I did get some cool assets and stuff, and had terrain sculpted, but it didn't come close to what the OP was doing with it, getting everything to the right scale, etc...  In the end I uninstalled Unity, sadly.  I wish I had the time and drive to teach myself how to use it properly.

Part of the problem with programs like Unity is that there is no universal scale in use. The program does have "units", but what is 1 unit of size? That depends on the user making the object. So, one user might build an object and decide that they are using "units" of meters, another decides that a "unit" is a centimeter, a third decides to use feet, etc... I see this problem all the time in Max/Maya/Blender land. It goes away when a standard is set for a given group for their submissions (such as companies like Blizzard or Pixar setting internal standards for modeling/layout/rendering), but much harder to do with a bunch of freelance cats doing something on their own time for free.

#11 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

You might want to consider checking out maptool, it's certainly not as fancy on the graphics but it's much quicker and easier to use. On top of that I've used it for other games we've played online that use grid layouts and it works amazing for that as well

#12 Krieger22

Krieger22

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

I just snapped a picture of the map with my iPad and zoomed in on it to show my players. They're not all that focused on maps anyway, so once they had a grasp of where everything was in relation to everything else they didn't really need to reference it much.

#13 Dark Bunny Lord

Dark Bunny Lord

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

I usually draw one or print a maptool one and then use markers to represent range bands and small printed circles with art for player tokens. Otherwise tracking the distances and location of every player gets to messy and frustrating for some of them

#14 Jshock

Jshock

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

I made this one for my MapTool game. It's not print resolution, but it's good for a visual aid.

The%2BRetreat.png

• whafrog, kinnison and Conviction like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS