Photo

How about instead of Timescape, FFG does an Ocean/Sea big box?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

I think that the idea from Timecape, can still be made in a new way.

You could  go on a journey with a ship, and visit different islands, but then more in a fantasy style.

Science fiction does not belong in talisman.

#62 azoic

azoic

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:37 PM

Nemomon said:

I would suggest You looking at Timescape to see how it looks Timescape is the BEST ever expansion to Talisman.

The Timescape is one of the best 2nd Edition Expansions. We loved it! 2nd Edition without it is really incomplete.

Ocean or Sea big box? Maybe, … but I don't like the idea of Talisman Sea or Talisman Ocean and will never miss it.

The worst Expansion for our playing group is The Dragon. The influence on the normal gameplay is to big, so we will never play with The Dragon Expansion, we only use the characters and one Alternative Ending.

We all need a City Expansion, or a Forest, or a Mountain and maybe a Timescape or Relic.

#63 Shifting Spirit

Shifting Spirit

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

Everybody may have a different opinion, azoic. - While I'm fairly new to Talisman still (some years now) and I've obviously never played with Timescape, from what I've heard/seen I don't really think that it is needed nor that it fits the fantasy theme of the game.

But I think I can still understand why you liked it - well, like Ell said, maybe Relic could be something for your group. And while I don't know the plans for future expansions, I'd say the release of Relic pretty much says: "No, we're not bringing Timescape back like before." - But, hey, they can still prove me wrong…

On the other hand, I'm still waiting for the Dragon to arrive in my native language, though I'm already pretty sure my playgroup is going to enjoy most of it.

Especially the overlay for the middle region - they always complain the "final" region is far too easy to go through.

And if your group thinks of the expansion as a whole to have too much impact on the game, I'd suggest using only parts of it - houserules are your friends here, as always.

Just a sidenote, I'm longing for a forest expansion :D

#64 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 812 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:56 AM

Ok, I - as a Polish user and Magia i Miecz player - may have some great reasons to like Timescape's SF theme. Because Polish version of it really was SF. Examples:

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Podrnicy_w_czasie_Time_Travellers.png

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Robot_Bojowy_Battle_Droid.png

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Skafander_Combat_Enviro-Suit.png

But looking at Talisman 2nd Ed. Timescape scans I hardly, very hardly can feel its SF theme.

===

But its theme isn't what is important in Timescape. Most important is how quick and hard this expansion is. Its deck has GREAT cards, both hard enemies and valuable objects/followers. And movement style, where characters may not decide where they will appear next. In the Timescape the best is its mechanic, not theme.

Enter the Talisman Island!

#65 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:10 AM

Nemomon said:

Ok, I - as a Polish user and Magia i Miecz player - may have some great reasons to like Timescape's SF theme. Because Polish version of it really was SF. Examples:

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Podrnicy_w_czasie_Time_Travellers.png

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Robot_Bojowy_Battle_Droid.png

i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/Nemomon/MiM/Inne/Skafander_Combat_Enviro-Suit.png

But looking at Talisman 2nd Ed. Timescape scans I hardly, very hardly can feel its SF theme.

===

But its theme isn't what is important in Timescape. Most important is how quick and hard this expansion is. Its deck has GREAT cards, both hard enemies and valuable objects/followers. And movement style, where characters may not decide where they will appear next. In the Timescape the best is its mechanic, not theme.

I agree with Nemo, that the mechanic is very interesting.

Maybe that FFG can make something new like that.

#66 natstar

natstar

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:15 PM

Just make both because not everyone has the same favourite character but that does not mean that the characters they do not like should not have been made because other people like them.

#67 Shifting Spirit

Shifting Spirit

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

Well, Nemomon, if it's about the mechanics, I'm sure you could have something similar like that but with another theme for the expanson - speaking of not being able to decide where you go, I'm thinking of some crazy wizard's manor, (with random teleporters) for example.

#68 Nioreh

Nioreh

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

Nemomon said:

As a Timescape geek, i'm saying:

VETO!!

However I'm open for new expansions

Haven't played Timescape but I totalt resent even the idea!!

Imo this would destroy the whole theme and contribute nothing. Ive bought ever expansion (4th ed) the day they came to the store but I wouldn't even touch timescape

River/Ocean/Forest.. If i get to choose the theme would be anti-magic since spellcasters make the game unbalanced at the moment imo.

#69 Croonos

Croonos

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

So Varthrax is on the main box cover, Cadorus on the box of the Dragon expansion, maybe Grilipus match to the future cover of the Island/Sea expansion…?

#70 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

Croonos said:

So Varthrax is on the main box cover, Cadorus on the box of the Dragon expansion, maybe Grilipus match to the future cover of the Island/Sea expansion…?

I never even thought about that, but you're absolutely correct!   Recently I had been entertaining the idea that FFG has always known pretty much where they were going and how. Beyond 'foreshadowing' (like a recent poster who suggested that the Warlock Quest to take something to the fountain in the King's Square in the City seems to be indicated - - and the Quests go back to Reaper and Frostmarch sets). 

Kind of makes all the speculations (And I'm probably the most obsessive hyper-drive speculator!) rather a fan-****? Eh?

My guess would be that Grilipus would be on the Forest or 4th corner expansion's box, if that makes sense considering your observation.  Has anyone else ever noted this before, or even realized?  I must admit I have not, til now…

Almost makes me think of a new small set expansion…    Dominance of the Dragons. These 3 Lords somehow decide to rule together with each having a different region or realm and an agreement to aid each other in various ways (sending their 'agents', enemies from their decks as back up. In this scenario, you don't necessarily fight them in the Tower or CoC. Of course, somehow along the way, perhaps there is a new Dragon (BUT.NO.MORE.SCALES.) and maybe he has strengths or abilities beyond the others. Another thought would be that the 3 Lords must work together in order to raise or invoke this mightier Dragon. So maybe each Lord has to find or complete some task for this. Its a race to stop them.   Hmmmm, off topic from this thread, much?

#71 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

0beron said:

My guess would be that Grilipus would be on the Forest or 4th corner expansion's box, if that makes sense considering your observation.  Has anyone else ever noted this before, or even realized?  I must admit I have not, til now…

The Forest region is the realm of the Wraith Lord:)

#72 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

Velhart said:

0beron said:

Better watch out for his Starcannons and Shuriken Catapults then. So much for not doing Timescape. :P

#73 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:47 AM

Velhart said:

0beron said:

I'm talking about the cover of the boxes; but why is Varthrax on the first box, if he's NOT the boss of the main board?

I'm just saying using the previous poster's comments, Grilipus should end up on a box cover. No big deal if he don't..

I never had the 3rd set, so I know little of the Wraith Lord, sounds cool.  So… he has starcannons?

#74 talismanisland

talismanisland

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:53 AM

I believe our friend is referring to the Eldar Wraithlord from Warhammer 40K…

The one from the old Forest board is this guy…

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#75 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:05 AM

0beron said:

Velhart said:

0beron said:

I'm talking about the cover of the boxes; but why is Varthrax on the first box, if he's NOT the boss of the main board?

I'm just saying using the previous poster's comments, Grilipus should end up on a box cover. No big deal if he don't..

I never had the 3rd set, so I know little of the Wraith Lord, sounds cool.  So… he has starcannons?

I think it´s not varthrax. It´s just a red dragon, or they made him to remember the dragon king. But there is no red dragon included in the base game.

I believe this cover was also on the normal 4th edition version from black industries

No, he has no star cannons in third edition.  (TheeForsakenOne is kidding..)

#76 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Well the old Forest one looks pretty intense, but a little similar to other things in Talisman.  He needs some incredible wicked cape thing or something. Maybe 3 eyes?  Tee-hee!

#77 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

Well, he looks quite a lot like Varthrax, so maybe its his younger brother (that you never heard about!).

Having said that, I am distinguishing cover art from actual game mechanics, characters etc.

As I note some have no taste for the Dragon expansion (and the possibility of a Timescape one - I'm on fence for now, mysefl)

I think it would be great if another expansion could tweak some Dragon things more to people's liking.

so to anyone who doesn't like Dragon expansion as it is now, or thinks it needs tweaks, what would you suggest.

Please no "dump it" type answers. If you don't think anything can improve it, than say so.

#78 Thee Forsaken One

Thee Forsaken One

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

talismanisland said:

I believe our friend is referring to the Eldar Wraithlord from Warhammer 40K…

Indeed I was.

Although I think the Wraith Lord needs a bit of a buff if he's going to be turning up in the new Talisman. Compared to the Lord of Darkness and Eagle King he's a bit weak… Although he admittedly doesn't give much reward.

#79 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thee Forsaken One said:

Indeed I was.

Although I think the Wraith Lord needs a bit of a buff if he's going to be turning up in the new Talisman. Compared to the Lord of Darkness and Eagle King he's a bit weak… Although he admittedly doesn't give much reward.

The Lord of Darkness and the Eagle King from third edition has also a strength of 6.

The strength and craft from the Wraith Lord will probably be changed by FFG :)

#80 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

Velhart said:

Thee Forsaken One said:

Indeed I was.

The Lord of Darkness and the Eagle King from third edition has also a strength of 6.

The strength and craft from the Wraith Lord will probably be changed by FFG :)

Yes you can guarantee that!

Ell.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS