Photo

What will “Most Wanted” do for the Rebel Y-wing?

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#1 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Hi fellow Y-wing lovers, first can I just say that the Y-wing doesn't need to be fixed, it's excellent, but I'll admit it's a bit 1 dimensional at present.

Now despite this topic being discussed in the middle of various threads people are still asking the question about when Y-wing will get some special treatment like the A-wing and B-wing, one of the main desires being new pilots.

I think the Rebel Transport was almost 'Part I' of Y-Wing aces with some astros that it could use especially R2-D6 for EPT's on the named pilots.

I have to say that it does look far less likely now “Most Wanted” has been announced that the Y-wing will get any new rebel pilots because this box does very much look like it contains 'Part 2' of Y-wing aces.

Here's a picture of the upgrade cards from the set:

V0JfLfh.png

So looks like 3 cards in here will be giving new options to the Y-wing:

1 – Autoblaster Turret

Assuming this has the same effect and range as the Autoblaster Cannon this could be huge for the Y-Wing. The range 1 bubble is obviously much better than range 1 in arc, and with only 2 attack dice standard this turret will definitely improve the damage output of the woman in question.

2 – BTL _____ Y-wing 

This looks to be a Title or Modification for the Y-wing, I don't know what this does but I do not think from the text that it adds a crew slot (as people have speculated)

I think this is a good thing though, the B-wing is getting a crew slot, and in the (now infamous) interview with Frank and Alex they were very clear they wanted to give each-ship it's own individual set of updates.

Maybe something in the image itself could be a clue to it's purpose, it looks to be focused on glowwy purple engines, this could be a clue to what this card does but squinting at the text I would guess something like:

You cannot ___ 

_____
After you
____
_____
attack _

___

Edit: I wonder if this might be BTL-A4 It's a 1 man version with the turret locked to a forward position, "You cannot equip turret upgrade cards" i can't see the benefit of usinthis unless it offsets the loosing of a turret with a great bonus, or just a negative squad point cost.

Whatever this is I think it will be awesome, but I don't think it's crew.

3 – Bomb_____ 

This looks like a Y-wing only torpedo slot upgrade, but definitely isn't an attack.

I initially speculated that this added a bomb slot, (Bomb even being in the name) and it still seems like the most likely thing but the text on the card, to me, now doesn't look to be in-line with other cards that add upgrade slots.

Slave 1 for example:

slave-i.png

If this new Torp card adds a bomb would we not be able to see “the” under the “Your u___” line? Maybe it's a prototype print or something, i'm not sure.

However if it is a bomb slot then other questions this raises:

• Does this mean the Y-wing could take 2 of these and take 2 bombs? Why should the Y-wing get more bombs than the tie bomber?

I guess it does seem unlikely that the Y-wing can take 2 bombs so maybe the card will introduce a new keyword. “rare” or something, that means you can only take one per ship, OR maybe a new cost mechanic will mean that not only will the Bomb card take up a torpedo slot but will also cost a torpedo slot to equip?

• Why are there no bomb token in the picture if this adds a bomb slot?

Well there are no bomb upgrade cards in the set, and the tokens only come in expansions that also contain the bomb cards themselves. Slave-1 title is similar in that it adds a torpedo slot but the expansion does not include torpedo upgrade cards.

4 - (possibly but unlikely) –Astromechs 

The bottom row of astros are clearly salvaged astros and off limits to rebels (probably) but the highlighted ones could possibly be proper Astormechs. It's a massive stretch but it seems odd they are separated from the ones at the bottom. While I don't think they would include 4 cards that the faction can't even use what if these cards have both icons? Another new mechanic that means the card can be used in either the Rebel Astormech slot OR in the Salvaged Slot. I doubt it but this is just a final thought that there may be possibly something extra here.

Edited by Glentopher, 20 August 2014 - 06:21 PM.

• bcpravel, Vorpal Sword, terrymac94 and 4 others like this
Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

#2 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:11 PM

Hopefully this will bring more Y-wings on to the table. I hope the R4 astro and unique astro are proper astromechs not the new ones.
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#3 Spaceman91

Spaceman91

• Members
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Just peeking through the cards fills me with hope that most wanted will be the best pack FFG have done.

Edited by Spaceman91, 20 August 2014 - 06:25 PM.

• LavaDragon0308 likes this
I didn't mean for it to get this bad.

#4 Eltnot

Eltnot

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

The Bomb card is probably different, because it is changing the slot from one type to another whilst the Firespray upgrade card is just a title card that gives it the option.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bomb upgrade had a "one per ship" line in there somewhere also.

Carpe Jugulum

Spoiler

#5 Hobojebus

Hobojebus

Tie Defender Ace

• Members
  • 3,016 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Bombs alone is promising for the old junker, I'm sure they will have thought of something fun.

More cannons in general can only be a good thing.

#6 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,050 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

The Bomb card is probably different, because it is changing the slot from one type to another whilst the Firespray upgrade card is just a title card that gives it the option.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bomb upgrade had a "one per ship" line in there somewhere also.

It looks like only one line of text though, and it's not really changing anything. Because it fits in to a torpedo slot the slot is used up, so the card would just say "Your upgrade bar gains the (B) upgrade icon." but no text is visible under the first line so in theory it's shorter than that.

Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

#7 Tipperary

Tipperary

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

The first word seems like "Your", perhaps it's "Your other [torpedo] slot can carry [bomb], or some variant of that wording(since that seems a little long for one line). Having it fit in one slot and convert the other might be a good way to balance it out.

[3] |-o-| [1] {«o»} [3] (-o-) [1] {-o-o-} [1] ≤†≥ [1] /╧\ [1] Defender [1] Phantom [1] <Φ>
[3] >:♦:< [1] ¤±¤ [2] -/•\- [2] † [1] ┴■┴ [1] «ow?» [1] ◄ttHtt► [2] •-:ô:- [2] .-A-. [1] •-«÷»
[4]-:ô:-[2] ¤±¤ [2] }■{ [4] ¬Θ⌐ [2] «¬≡⌐»

#8 quasistellar

quasistellar

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

As for the BTL card:

I agree that it probably locks the turret forward, and my bet is that it allows you to perform a second attack with your primary weapon.

• Vorpal Sword, Bipolar Potter and Hobojebus like this

#9 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

Speaking of the "Bomb" upgrade, there already is such a keyword. "Limited" was introduced with the Rebel Epic releases, and it means exactly what your "rare" keyword would.
  • bcpravel, Millennium Falsehood, gentgeen and 2 others like this

#10 catachanninja

catachanninja

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:04 PM

As for the BTL card:

I agree that it probably locks the turret forward, and my bet is that it allows you to perform a second attack with your primary weapon.

That would probably be a little abusive. Five attacks with an ion cannon turret. Maybe it reduces the point cost for turrets by taking away the 360 firing arc?

• rrleonc689 and dmiitrie like this
Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

#11 ImperialDreamer

ImperialDreamer

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

Speaking of the "Bomb" upgrade, there already is such a keyword. "Limited" was introduced with the Rebel Epic releases, and it means exactly what your "rare" keyword would.

Would that fit on the same line as the "Y-Wing Only" based on current spacing?

Also, my vote on the droids in the top row is that they're salvaged, and not going to be regular astromechs. Could it be that FFG just put some on a second line to show off the new icon? Especially since wookiepedia says that R4s were more rugged, cheaper astromechs, I know it's 'legends' canon, but it's something.

#12 Kerfuffin925

Kerfuffin925

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:10 PM

well it would be two and three, a  bit easier to evade than all 5 at once.
could be useful for stripping tokens for yourself and possibly others on the higher PS ships (shooting). sneak a damage or two through and force them to use a token early.

As for the BTL card:

That would probably be a little abusive. Five attacks with an ion cannon turret. Maybe it reduces the point cost for turrets by taking away the 360 firing arc?

Edited by Kerfuffin925, 20 August 2014 - 07:11 PM.

• catachanninja likes this

#13 tsefardayah

tsefardayah

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

As for the BTL card:

Seems like it would be something like that.

Pretty sure the second line says "outside" which only seems like it would go along with "outside your firing arc."

#14 Mirrimon

Mirrimon

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:43 PM

I think the second line of the title is outside, probably talking about firing arc.

You cannot attack ships

outside of your firing arc.

Maybe?

Maybe it lets you have a gunner like effect, or lets you fire a secondary after the primary.

Edited by Mirrimon, 20 August 2014 - 07:46 PM.

• quasistellar likes this

#15 Animewarsdude

Animewarsdude

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

It would be funny if the BTL update gave all Y-Wings the ability to take on salvaged Astromechs. "Take that you scum!" Of course that has nothing to do with that version of the ship or really make the much sense but it would be funny.

Edited by Animewarsdude, 20 August 2014 - 08:01 PM.

#16 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:05 PM

I could see the BTL thing being a title. Remove the cannon slot to increase attack by 1 or something

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 YT-2400, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda, 1 VT-49

#17 Mace Windu

Mace Windu

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

Wild speculation but could it be that the 4 "Astromechs" outlined in yellow could in fact be Astro Crew cards similar to that of the current R2-D2 Crew card.

the Greedo and other crew card are there and on the other side of the yellow block there are 2 more cards "K4 .... & Outu...(the one with the Jawa on it) that are also likely to be crew cards.

Remember if the the Y-Wing upgrade allows Crew this set then has to have enough crew cards for the Y-Wing, HWK & the firespray so 8 Crew cards isnt unreasonable for effectively 3 ships.

• Kerfuffin925 likes this

Rebel Freedom Fighters: 5 Z95, 4 X-Wing, 4 B-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 2 HWK 290, 1 YT-1300 & 1 YT-2400

Imperial Oppressors: 5 TIE Fighter, 4 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Interceptor, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray, 1 Shuttle & 1 VT-49 Decimator

My YouTube Battle Reports

#18 Red Castle

Red Castle

• Members
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hopefully this will bring more Y-wings on to the table. I hope the R4 astro and unique astro are proper astromechs not the new ones.

I would not put my hope too high on this one.

The new astromech slot is clearly to prevent Scum from taking rebel astromech, like say R2-D2. Notice that on the current astromech cards, there is no mention of rebel only. So, with that in mind, it would be weird to buy an expension/pack and not be able to use all the cards that come with it with the ships you just bought.

Of course, I could be wrong. But 'forcing' a rebel player that has no intention on playing the scum faction to pay 40$ for a couple of cards is a marketing practice that I hope won't be use often. And before someone say that they can still use the ships, well, they don't seem to come with rebel bases and pilots and the Z-95 paint job has the Black Sun symbol on it so.... not very thematic to include it in a rebel fleet.

• Hexis, J43G3RM31ST3R and LeoHowler like this

I'm a french native player so sometimes, some expressions or meanings might be lost in translation. I mean no disrespect.

#19 Tipperary

Tipperary

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Wild speculation but could it be that the 4 "Astromechs" outlined in yellow could in fact be Astro Crew cards similar to that of the current R2-D2 Crew card.

the Greedo and other crew card are there and on the other side of the yellow block there are 2 more cards "K4 .... & Outu...(the one with the Jawa on it) that are also likely to be crew cards.

Remember if the the Y-Wing upgrade allows Crew this set then has to have enough crew cards for the Y-Wing, HWK & the firespray so 8 Crew cards isnt unreasonable for effectively 3 ships.

Outlaw Tech, maybe? I think someone guessed Outlaw Jawa in another thread but that seems slightly tautological.

[3] |-o-| [1] {«o»} [3] (-o-) [1] {-o-o-} [1] ≤†≥ [1] /╧\ [1] Defender [1] Phantom [1] <Φ>
[3] >:♦:< [1] ¤±¤ [2] -/•\- [2] † [1] ┴■┴ [1] «ow?» [1] ◄ttHtt► [2] •-:ô:- [2] .-A-. [1] •-«÷»
[4]-:ô:-[2] ¤±¤ [2] }■{ [4] ¬Θ⌐ [2] «¬≡⌐»

#20 shaner

shaner

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hmmmm...does anyone know for sure if the modifications will apply to all factions or just S&V? For the Y-Wing, do we know for sure if the rebels will be able to use the stuff that comes in Most Wanted?
Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS