DragonCon

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bull30548

bull30548

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

Okay so I have 3 questions with only a week out from DragonCon in Atlanta, GA during Labor Day Weekend.  The first is pretty rhetorical but I don't doubt there will be answers to it.  The second question is a lead up to the third.  The third is pretty straight forward so hopefully no confusion will result. 

1. What the #E!! is going on there is no FFG Star Wars games going on at DragonCon?

2. Who is planning on attending DragonCon?

3. If I ran a pick up game who would like to attend?

(Date and Time to be determined at Con but thinking Friday night.)

SPACE GUINEA PIGS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Can't answer the last two, but it's likely since Gencon is a full court press for FFG and used probably the bulk of their staff, they don't want to get into the monumental logistical headache and financial cost.  Plus, they are launching products so they're probably not wanting to pause 3 weeks after doing that for more marketing when they are plowing head first into development.  Just some random thoughts.  I'm not going but I've got an artist friend who is as an exhibitor.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#3 fatedtodie

fatedtodie

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

Actually 2P it is more likely that it is because FFG has a booth + tournements at PAX Prime for the same weekend.

Edited by fatedtodie, 19 August 2014 - 01:09 PM.

GM KnowledgeRhino

My group's adventure log through Edge of the Empire stories. http://rhinospeaks.wordpress.com/

#4 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

There you go, they just probably don't have the resources to go two conventions simultaneously.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#5 bull30548

bull30548

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Well, I was referring to there being no Star Wars games offered in the gaming area this year FFG or otherwise. I was not inferring that FFG was there and not running anything. It just seemed odd that edge has been out a year and still got no love from the gaming community. Also wanted to hang with some fellow fans of the system compare chat in rl not over forums.

SPACE GUINEA PIGS TO THE RESCUE!!!!!

#6 fatedtodie

fatedtodie

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

I have yet to meet any players in RL aside from my playgroup. I do go to a local "geek club" where every time I play there in their RPG room I spend at least 15-30 minutes explaining the system to random other club members that walk by and see it.

You know you don't have to wait for a con to find other like minded SWRPG "friends". Just post "hey I am from so-and-so area and would like to meet up to know like minded folks!". Magically on the forum people will appear and meet-ups will ensue and then when you go to the next con it will be fun to know someone else is there.

Or, you can just wait for the con.

Your choice. =)

Edited by fatedtodie, 19 August 2014 - 04:56 PM.

• TakeshiMasaki likes this
GM KnowledgeRhino

My group's adventure log through Edge of the Empire stories. http://rhinospeaks.wordpress.com/

#7 TakeshiMasaki

TakeshiMasaki

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:06 AM

Okay so I have 3 questions with only a week out from DragonCon in Atlanta, GA during Labor Day Weekend.  The first is pretty rhetorical but I don't doubt there will be answers to it.  The second question is a lead up to the third.  The third is pretty straight forward so hopefully no confusion will result. 

1. What the #E!! is going on there is no FFG Star Wars games going on at DragonCon?

2. Who is planning on attending DragonCon?

3. If I ran a pick up game who would like to attend?

(Date and Time to be determined at Con but thinking Friday night.)

Because as fatedtodie posted with PAX Prime and Dragon Con being the same weekend FFG put their staff there. To have a session in the gaming area would require someone to volunteer to be the GM. Which does count as Volunteer time for the convention.

I am attending and I would be interested, but I am planning on attending some of the late night events both Friday and Saturday. If there was a volunteer ran table as part of the convention I would be more inclinded to join. I think if you really want this to be an event and Dragon Con and are Attending next year then consider volunteering.

Edited by TakeshiMasaki, 20 August 2014 - 05:06 AM.

• fatedtodie likes this

#8 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

DragonCon gaming has been on a swift but sure downhill slide for the past several years, in my opinion. All I could find last year was Magic and WoW CCG. Pretty depressing.

#9 anstruther

anstruther

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

Hey there! 

I'll be at DragonCon and would love to play an Edge of the Empire game while there.  I have read the books and plan to start my own campaign in a couple weeks.

Please reply here or email me at anstruther21@gmail.com if you do get a game going and I'll come running.

Thanks!

-Doug

• fatedtodie likes this

#10 fatedtodie

fatedtodie

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:47 PM

So apparently when FFG said they were having a presence at PAX, I was expecting too much.

5 tables, a few board games (only 1 was new, the XCOM game) being demo'ed, and I guess there were some tournaments, but it was almost like they forgot they did RPGs as well.

They did have 2 doors down from them, a local game shop that had a few books for SWRPG, like the EotE CRB/Aor CRB, and Far Horizons. Aside from that they had the AoR and EotE beginner boxes.

That was pretty much the whole "presence" at PAX Prime.

So don't feel too bad you didn't get any SWRPG presence at DragonCon. PAX was dissed as well.

GM KnowledgeRhino

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS