Dunwich Horror Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

We're looking at playing the Deal with Devil or the Dunwich Horror scenario (w/Yog Sothoth) this weekend and since we've never actually had the Dunwich Horror actually appear in the game before, were wondering about the best way to either guarantee it comes through or just put him on the board at the outset.  The Miskatonic expansion rules have a way to push the DH up by starting the game with one token in play, but we also saw the League 2 scenario where he actually starts the game on the board, randomly placed based on Mythos card draw.  Also, I suppose a Herald could bring him in as well.

Any recommendations for ensuring we deal with the DH for a first time play?

Gil

#2 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Well the Dunwich Horror herald specifically works to accelerate the DH's awakening. You might want to use that.

If you have to pick between those two scenarios (I assume you're referring to my Introductory scenarios) then I'd go with Dunwich Horror. The DH board was only included in Deal with the Devil because a significant portion of the story Lurker at the Threshold takes place in Dunwich. As a result, the percentage of Mythos cards that open a gate in Dunwich--integral to awakening the Horror--is higher in the Dunwich scenario than the Devil one. Maybe you should do that one with the Dunwich Horror herald on top.

If it's the threat of awakening the Horror that you're after, I don't recommend starting it on the board. I love to watch the investigators scramble to keep Dunwich clear of monsters because they fear the Horror's awakening. So it's not all that important whether it actually awakens or not.

Edited by Tibs, 19 August 2014 - 11:59 AM.

#3 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

Thanks Tibs -- the Herald and more concentrated Mythos sounds like a good way to go; we've been wanting to do a real Lurker centric game too, but think we'll hold off and do that as the sole focus.  The Herald looks suitably dangerous, and nicely thematic too.  :)

#4 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

Actually, the Lurker herald is regarded as one of the easier heralds: if you know how to exploit it, it's more helpful than harmful.

You might be able to achieve both if you do this:

Use Dunwich board and Mythos and Gate cards

Use Dunwich Horror and Lurker heralds

Use the Lurker gate markers (clearly, not the ones for the Kingsport board)

Maybe don't use the MH Recknoning cards because they actually make the Lurker scary.

Yog-Sothoth as the AO (he is related to both entities!)

Then you'll have a somewhat challenging best-of-both-worlds setup. Maybe you can refer to the Dunwich scenario for how to set up your monsters and item decks to maximize theme.

#5 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Sorry for the confusion - I was thinking of the Dunwich herald as the one looking dangerous but all good points about the Lurker herald. I saw earlier posts for house rules needed to avoid the exploit of spending power on the same turn.

I like the combinations of the 2 heralds though. Hmmm, I think we'll go with your initial suggestion of the Dunwich herald for a pure Dunwich game then playing a later game with more emphasis on the lurker so we can get to a better understanding of those new cards. We're in a mode right now where we are learning all the expansions so good to bite off small bits at a time! :)

Edited by Wolfpack48, 20 August 2014 - 08:43 AM.

#6 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:00 AM

Well, after some deliberation, we decided we really needed take those suggestions, bite the bullet and learn the Lurker rules/cards and just get to know that expansion...and so we ended up going with the exact setup for 2 heralds with the Dunwich scenario, with the added challenge of Aforgomon, for 3.  We learned a ton, and I can see why folks fixed the Lurker -- as is, you could really be spending Power left and right with little or no consequence.  

We all really appreciated the thought and care put into the scenarios, suggestions here and new heralds -- some excellent ideas for everything...thank you.

We ended up scrogging some Aforgomon rules, but it was a good learning game, and we can see how the co-herald really ramps things up in difficulty towards the end of the game.  Not to mention we got to see/fight the Dunwich Horror itself, finally!   :)

Our session notes on BGG:

http://boardgamegeek...dunwich-horror 

Edited by Wolfpack48, 25 August 2014 - 03:04 PM.

#7 Wolfpack48

Wolfpack48

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

We played our rematch with the Yog, the Lurker and Aforgomon (getting the rules right for him this time) using the Deal with the Devil scenario, but set it in Kingsport this go.  We enjoyed our punishment. ;)

http://boardgamegeek...othoth-lurker-a

Edited by Wolfpack48, 11 September 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#8 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:12 AM

Wow! Epic game! Sorry for the defeat!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS