Photo

Guys, will Armada cause you to give up X-Wing?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Papa Midnight

Papa Midnight

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:25 PM

It kinda depends on what everyone else in my local area ends up doing.   If everyone stops playing X-Wing in favor of Armada, then I'll have no choice, else I'd have nobody else to play.  

This is perhaps the main force (pun intended!) that we must factor in our gaming.

While X-wing did make a splash in my gaming group when it was released, it has since fizzled. I hope that Armada doesn't do the same. I don't think that it will.    :)

#42 keroko

keroko

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:41 PM

I understand the limited time, I don't understand why having limited time I should limit my choice of game to just one. If this were true then I would never have need to buy another DVD as I have one already. As much as I like spaggetti, I would tire of spaggetti if that was all I ate.

One of my friends from our weekly gaming club described it as "I'd like to keep playing board games as well. I'm already spending a lot of time at the tabletop with X-wing. If I star Armada as well, I'll be spending all of my time playing tabletop games. Might as well have continued playing Warhammer then."

#43 Soulfly626

Soulfly626

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

No way....this just adds to the star wars franchise. We been lacking great star wars games in general. Video, table top, board games, Etc.

I never picked up Star Wars Monopoly.  :)

I see people most playing both.

XWM is awesome and going in the right direction.

Armada is TBD in my opinion.

#44 moodydoody

moodydoody

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

No but I will be spending most of my money on Armada from now on.

• teufelwolf@yahoo.com likes this

Texas A&M Alum / C-17 is my other ride

Rebel Scum: 4 X-wing, 4 B-wing, 4 A-wing, 6 Y-wing, 2 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290, 1 E-wing, 1 Z-95

Imperial Dogs: 8 Tie Fighter, 7 Tie Bomber, 8 Tie Interceptor, 4 Tie Advanced, 2 Firespray, 3 Lambda Shuttle, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 Tie Defender

#45 Rumar

Rumar

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

I have yet to see Armada working. So far, I am not sold. The mechanics seem to be fairly solid, but it is all in the balancing. Could go into the trap of either WWII (fighters dominating) or WWI (dreadnoughts dominating) which would be almost equally boring. A lot depends on the objectives, which can make or break a game. To be watched...

#46 teufelwolf@yahoo.com

teufelwolf@yahoo.com

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:23 AM

I agree.  Would like to see a CAMPAIGN book with many connected (or nested) storylines!

#47 ImperialBucketHead

ImperialBucketHead

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Will I give up X-Wing? no probably not.  I'm almost a year invested into it and have just gotten to where I feel like I am a decent player.  Armada looks amazing and while I am unsure if I will invest into it, I have members in my group who will be getting into it so I still will most likely play it.  I could definitely see some potential for fun campaigns from perhaps a fighter skirmish and then all of the sudden a Victory Class jumps in and here we have a full on capital brawl.

#48 Xeonic

Xeonic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

Most assuredly not. I have a large investment in x-wing in terms of time and money and people actually play it. I will play Armada when I can but still carry my x-wing pieces for pickup games. Tie-in or escalation battles would also be fun, using the two games in concert. In the long run, while big fleet battles appeal to me more strongly, there will always be a place in my heart for the dogfight. Heck, even if Armada completely eclipses X-wing in terms of playerbase(I don't believe it shall), I'm not going to get rid of my minis and attendant paraphernalia.

Now the real question is "how badly will Armada crimp your gaming budget on release", because it looks like there will be a 2-3 month window where I'm buying enough Armada stuff that I can't afford more x-wing(the "must have one of everything and two to three of everything good" effect). Which is fine, given how long I've had to put together my x-wing forces. :D

I'll be building both fleets, if just for the pure and simple fact that it will be easier to get someone into the game if you can plonk a pre-built fleet down in front of them and get on with the 'splaining.

#49 nuke556

nuke556

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

It made my decision regarding getting into the lcg. But xwing will be staying around. Fighters are more fun to fly than space busses. But I just cant say no to that mk2 frigate

#50 Gundog8324

Gundog8324

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

For me everything will come down to what I can find games for if the local area has a large Armada group (or I get friends into it) I'll play it, but if X-wing stays bigger X-wing will be the primary game for me

#51 Joe Boss Red Seven

Joe Boss Red Seven

The Laughing Warrior

• Members
  • 3,145 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:06 AM

I should think not!

:lol:

"There Is No Such Thing As Luck." BLACK SIX RED SEVEN

STAR WARS is far more than three thirty year old films. FFG intends for X-Wing to thrive, thus it will be more also... PERIOD.

ALLIANCE: [A-WING: 4][B-WING: 4][E-WING: 3][HWK-290: 1][X-WING: 6][Y-WING: 5][Z-95: 6][YT-1300: 1][YT-2400: 1] EMPIRE: [TIE ADVANCED: 1][TIE BOMBER: 3][TIE DEFENDER: 3][TIE FIGHTER: 6][TIE INTERCEPTOR: 6][TIE PHANTOM: 3][VT-49: 1][LAMBDA: 1] SCUM: [FIRESPRAY-31: 1][HWK-290: 3][IG-2000: ][M3-A: ][STAR VIPER: ][Y-WING: 1][Z-95: 1]

#52 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 06:01 AM

... i will never give up X-Wing

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#53 bayruun

bayruun

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:51 AM

I'm much more likely to find regular opponents for X-Wing here in the middle of China than I am for Armada. I'll still get it, of course, but I expect to be the provider of all of the models (not that there's anything wrong with that).

"Some goals are so worthy it is glorious even to fail."

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS