Photo

Guys, will Armada cause you to give up X-Wing?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Papa Midnight

Papa Midnight

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

Honestly, will Armada force you to drop X-Wing?  (assuming that you are collecting and gaming X-Wing to begin with)

In the immortal words of Grand Admiral Thrawn:

"See ya, suckas!"

#2 Brian_Black

Brian_Black

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:49 PM

I'll probably trim back on xwing a bit so that I can slowly expand into this.

#3 RookiePilot

RookiePilot

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

It's more the other way around. Since I'm already quite invested in X-Wing, that is a barrier to me picking up Armada. Which is too bad, because it looks like a great game. The Team Covenant demo at GenCon really helped me to understand the mechanics, and I am certain now it is a lot of fun. But Wave 6 for X-Wing is a bit more pricey than previous waves have been, so it would be difficult to jump on both. Too much Star Wars goodness all at once.

#4 Silver Crane

Silver Crane

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:51 PM

Nope, I plan on quitting Netrunner instead.

• lightofhand, L0STHER0, Winner and 2 others like this

#5 Papa Midnight

Papa Midnight

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:52 PM

Too much Star Wars goodness all at once.

There is no such thing.  :D

• any2cards, Hrathen, admiralcrunch and 2 others like this

In the immortal words of Grand Admiral Thrawn:

"See ya, suckas!"

#6 Jedhead

Jedhead

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:19 PM

I will probably drop out of buying X-Wing, as I don't wish to start an entirely new faction.  I may still pick up the odd ship, and I will definitely continue to play. I am not a huge fan of the EU anyway, though, so depending on what direction they go I might pull out altogether.

Sacrifices must be made!

On the plus side, my brother just decided to go all-in on scum and take over the buying responsibility, so it looks like I will get to play with the new toys anyway...

Edited by Jedhead, 18 August 2014 - 11:27 PM.

"Much the same sort of talk can still be heard among the orc-minded; dreary and repetitive with hatred and contempt, too long removed from good to retain even verbal vigour, save in the ears of those to whom only the squalid sounds strong."  -J.R.R. Tolkien

#7 x13phantom

x13phantom

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

nope

• VorackTheGrim likes this

#8 admiralcrunch

admiralcrunch

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

Money is the biggest factor for me. Depending on how aggressive FFG is with it's release schedule for both games will determine if I can keep up with the two games. As long as Armada lives up to it's potential and they don't pound us to hard with new releases over the coming year, I could see keeping up with both.

Edited by admiralcrunch, 18 August 2014 - 11:55 PM.

• Ghaerdon likes this

#9 Wraithdt

Wraithdt

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:16 AM

Naturally I will end up cutting back on XWMG in terms of playtime to make way for Armada but I have no intentions of giving it up. Financially I think I'm able to support both systems as long as the releases are spaced out.

• Vimnock likes this

#10 VikingMaekel

VikingMaekel

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:15 AM

I'm not gonna drop anything.

I'll just buy everything, my poor wallet is still crying.

• VorackTheGrim and Papa Midnight like this

Rebel Alliance: 3 X-Wings, 1 Y-Wing, 2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 2 E-Wings, 2 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90

Imperial Navy: 4 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Bombers, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Defenders, 2 TIE Phantoms, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 1 Firespray-31

#11 keroko

keroko

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:23 AM

Don't see why I'd quit X-wing. But then, I'm an Imperial player in X-wing and very picky in which ships I buy, so I probably have a bigger budget to spend on Armada than most.

Edited by keroko, 19 August 2014 - 02:24 AM.

#12 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:45 AM

No. X-Wing is still going to remain in circulation since it's easier to play, easier to get into, and I'm afraid likely easier to find players for. I know I'll be supporting other players by letting them play with my set, but apart from one other person I don't know whom in my FLGS circle will be collecting alongside me :(

#13 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:02 AM

Honestly, will Armada force you to drop X-Wing?  (assuming that you are collecting and gaming X-Wing to begin with)

Sorry, don't understand the question.  :huh:

I can't seem to wrap my head around people that can only cope with one game system in their life at a time. Why on earth would playing Armada force you to drop X-Wing? Nope, still don't understand the question.

• VorackTheGrim likes this

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#14 SchLoTTiX

SchLoTTiX

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:13 AM

I will stop buying new X-Wing stuff ... or at least nearly zero, because I am haven't finished my education yet. (lack of money)

Second reason for me is that Armada seems to be more interesting and complex.

I even thought about selling my X-Wing stuff to get enough money for Armada.

• admiralcrunch likes this

Books: X-Wing Novels     Tabletop: X-Wing Minatures ;).   Films/Series: Eps I-VI; Clone Wars

Games: Jedi Knight I - III; X-Wing Alliance; Empire at War; Republic Commandos; Shadow of the Empire; Battlefront I & II; Angry Birds Star Wars ;)                         

#15 Vannar

Vannar

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:17 AM

I have been buying all ships from both factions this whole time.  But with a third I don't think I am going to be able to keep doing that with armada due to money reasons.  I may cut back to just one faction in xwing.

#16 Keffisch

Keffisch

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

Nope,

Won't be touching this game most likely.

#17 Jay13x

Jay13x

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:20 AM

No.  I feel like the two experience are different enough that I'll enjoy them both.

And also I'm a collector, so I'm half in it for the models anyway.

• dojimaster, Parravon, Luke Licens and 2 others like this

#18 The_Beast

The_Beast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:33 AM

Nope,

Won't be touching this game most likely.

Curious if it's the nature of the game, or the mechanics you see, or...

On a couple of other forums I follow, price and perceived (low) value are quoted a lot*.

Even allowing for a fair number of (unpainted) fighter stands, it is only three capital ships. I was the one brought up unpainted in a high ticket item. And, yes, I heard 'get by with a simple wash.' No, that's a comment, not an answer...

I'm not sure I agree completely, but '...especially when one of the "fleets" consists of one ship. That's not a fleet; that's a captain who got lost.' is some food for thought.

(Don't play X-Wing much, will get Armada, but, being part owner of a game store, my collecting hurts a lot less than for most people.)

Doug

Edit: *Not universally, mind you. ;->=

Edited by The_Beast, 19 August 2014 - 06:35 AM.

• Papa Midnight likes this

#19 Hedrahil

Hedrahil

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

Never!!!!!
Star wars or death!!!!!
  • L0STHER0, Parravon and Hugo Y like this

#20 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

Never!!!!!
Star wars or death!!!!!

Now, that's the spirit!

• L0STHER0 likes this

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS