My Gen Con Finals "Mistake" <<LONG>>>

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
168 replies to this topic

#61 Shrike37

Shrike37

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Rick, don't let that idiot in the crowd get to you. I happen to know that guy really well, he comes from a competitive martial arts background and this is his first minis game and first time at gen con. He definitely was out of line and didn't even think about your feelings and his poor etiquete during your guys' match. He had 3 days of x wing and was super pumped to see his friend fellow ohioan/store player make it to the finals! He did come up and ask why he was allowing you to recloak which was incredibly rude and unprofessional of him. He then went back and talked to Jeff's brother about how he should have vaped that phantom. But Jeff is a class act and knows about the pressure of the cameras and the crowd and this unempathetic idiot clearly wasn't thinking about it. I know for a fact that guy has definitely moved on and after reading your topic feels like an ass and is truly sorry. He definitely respects you as a player and person and hopes you can forgive him. He was just super excited for his friend and behaving like a football fan and being a jerk.

In case you guys haven't figured it out I'm the guy Rick is referring to and I feel absolutely terrible for my behavior. I didn't think about etiquette and had no business being visibly upset. Please don't take it personal as it had nothing to do with you! You and Jeff and better players than I and in that scenario a better person. I am humbled and feel ashamed of my actions and I hope you can forgive me as I was just an excited fan who didn't realize the consequences of his actions. I hope you can forgive me and we meet across the table as friends and have an amazing game!

My sincerest apologies

Ben.

Good Form

• Eruletho, Caliber42, Ghaerdon and 4 others like this

#62 Shrike37

Shrike37

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:08 PM

As most others here have already commented, the decision to allow or not allow the forgotten tokens was up to your opponent.  In my opinion, I think it was excellent form for him to allow you to rectify that silly mistake.  However, I will say that I would not have faulted him in the slightest for not allowing it.  That was his prerogative and his only.  Do not feel bad for claiming your win.

Personally I would have felt it a hollow victory for if I would have been in his shoes and told you "no" for something so obviously intended and then killed or heavily wounded Whisper that turn.  I will say this though, I am not forgiving on mistakes that involve decisions.  For example in a match I have had an opponent misjudge his maneuver template and flew a full, or nearly full, health ship off the board by about 1/8-1/4 of an inch to escape a firing arc.  In that case I didn't allow any take backs because he thought he could make the turn and misjudged.  However, if it would have been an brain fart accident and he did a hard left that took him way off the board when it was clear he meant to turn the dial to a hard right and stay on the board, I would allow the correction.

Your mistake falls into the "clearly an accident" category...

• admat, mjcordiner, DreadStar and 1 other like this

#63 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

man Dark Templar, you are the coolest guy ever. you goto a tourny and you get a whole thread made about you doing something wrong....

I gotta say, you really did deserve to win. I really wanted to stay and watch your game and give you the support of having someone around who was on your side, as I know how much that means. I know I talked a little bit about how his list ran (gave you no strategies on taking it down however)

If I was at a round like that, I would of let you have your mistake back, easily. Im sure if he took damage, then placed dials, you would of let him have his R2D2 before the ship moved.  The round had not progressed far enough that a decision about cloaking would of mattered.

congrats on winning the nationals!

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#64 dpb1298

dpb1298

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Rick, don't let that idiot in the crowd get to you. I happen to know that guy really well, he comes from a competitive martial arts background and this is his first minis game and first time at gen con. He definitely was out of line and didn't even think about your feelings and his poor etiquete during your guys' match. He had 3 days of x wing and was super pumped to see his friend fellow ohioan/store player make it to the finals! He did come up and ask why he was allowing you to recloak which was incredibly rude and unprofessional of him. He then went back and talked to Jeff's brother about how he should have vaped that phantom. But Jeff is a class act and knows about the pressure of the cameras and the crowd and this unempathetic idiot clearly wasn't thinking about it. I know for a fact that guy has definitely moved on and after reading your topic feels like an ass and is truly sorry. He definitely respects you as a player and person and hopes you can forgive him. He was just super excited for his friend and behaving like a football fan and being a jerk.

In case you guys haven't figured it out I'm the guy Rick is referring to and I feel absolutely terrible for my behavior. I didn't think about etiquette and had no business being visibly upset. Please don't take it personal as it had nothing to do with you! You and Jeff and better players than I and in that scenario a better person. I am humbled and feel ashamed of my actions and I hope you can forgive me as I was just an excited fan who didn't realize the consequences of his actions. I hope you can forgive me and we meet across the table as friends and have an amazing game!

My sincerest apologies

Ben.

Hey all. Because atomic relised his error its all good right. Problem solved and know one should feel bad at each other. There is know one else be be upset about so its all good.

#65 dojimaster

dojimaster

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

My sincerest apologies

Ben.

This guy right here is a real man.  Kudos to you, sir! 

Edited by dojimaster, 18 August 2014 - 08:27 PM.

• PenguinBonaparte, Caliber42 and mjcordiner like this

#66 D4rkt3mpl4r

D4rkt3mpl4r

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

POPULAR

My sincerest apologies

Ben.

I was really pretty conflicted about whether or not to even publish this post. When I finally decided to do so I told myself I wasn't going to reply, I wasn't going to "like" I was just going to move on.

Reading through all the replies so far I'm blown away. Thanks to everyone for their support. Some of the stories you all shared were just awesome. This is an amazing community and sometimes posts like these really give people the opportunity to share just how awesome it is. So many "likes' to you all.

So I wasn't going to respond until I read Ben's post. Ben, thanks bro. You are a stand up guy. All is definitely forgiven and I hope we have the opportunity to play some time.

...Ohh and to the rest of you...keep your hands off my new ships!!!!

Have fun and fly casual all!!
  • Veldrin, Cremate, Eruletho and 34 others like this

#67 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

My sincerest apologies

Ben.

I was really pretty conflicted about whether or not to even publish this post. When I finally decided to do so I told myself I wasn't going to reply, I wasn't going to "like" I was just going to move on.

Reading through all the replies so far I'm blown away. Thanks to everyone for their support. Some of the stories you all shared were just awesome. This is an amazing community and sometimes posts like these really give people the opportunity to share just how awesome it is. So many "likes' to you all.

So I wasn't going to respond until I read Ben's post. Ben, thanks bro. You are a stand up guy. All is definitely forgiven and I hope we have the opportunity to play some time.

Coolest thread ever!

• polmoneys, Caliber42, admat and 1 other like this

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#68 Fanfan

Fanfan

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

I was there during the whole finals, sitting next to you since your first match against Dom (I am Francois, the french guy with red hair)

I have a huge gaming experience including in high reward tournaments.

And I chose to play and watch X-wing among dozens of games at GenCon, even if I was just a beginner in this game.

And I wanted to tell you, even before reading your post:

YOU  EPITOMIZE  WHAT  I  LIKE  IN  THIS  COMMUNITY.

You were humble, focussed, but not stressful (and I insist on this combination as being really unjoyable to play against)

you played the original squad you liked, although you were listening to others point of view, even humble beginners.

I am convinced that you would have returned the favor in the opposite situation.

I want to win my games by playing them well,

not because my opponent kind-of-forgot an obvious action.

We are 'trained' to play 'shamelessly' as the right way to go, especially in other competitive games -

My salute to all players who play as they feel it should be the best experience for everyone.

• dojimaster, PenguinBonaparte and admat like this

#69 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:53 PM

So was this loudmouth a regular on here or TC or BGG? Was he lacking in social skills? Did he have a neckbeard?!

lol I post somewhat frequently and try to keep a nice goatee.

The post order worked just right! :3

• AtomicFryingPan likes this

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#70 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

This is the official "Don't Lose Faith in the X-wing Community" thread.

• Syleh Forge, JFunk, AtomicFryingPan and 2 others like this

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#71 HunterEste

HunterEste

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Anyone who gives you a hard time about this is just a WAAC toxic little child who shouldn't be a part of the X-Wing community.
You did good!

• catachanninja likes this

#72 s1n

s1n

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

As long as you catch the mistake before moving on in the game, there really is no harm. It's not like Whisper died before you realized you were supposed to be cloaked.

Don't sweat a few people getting upset. Heavy is the head that wears the crown.

Congrats on your win. Enjoy it and look forward to Worlds!

#73 BigMrDonut

BigMrDonut

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:04 PM

I think the focus should be on the positive here. Rather than focus on the mistake, how about centering on the fact that during the finals of a tournament, both players were able to "fly casual". Let's see that in any other tournament finals!
  • mjcordiner and Gekko like this

#74 catachanninja

catachanninja

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:05 PM

Rick not only are you an x wing champion you are a champion of flying casual. Glad to have a world champ who enjoys the game. Definitely keeps us all flying casual

• admat likes this
Make your swords become like things unto chainsaws

#75 AtomicFryingPan

AtomicFryingPan

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

My sincerest apologies

Ben.

Thank you so much Rick I truly appreciate it and can rest easier. I do love competing and winning but I never wanted to be "that guy" who takes the fun from someone else. We've got it really good! We have a solid, fun, inexpensive star wars game with great designers who listen and are involved with the players. But most importantly we have awesome community and player base that truly makes us stand out. So thank you for accepting my apology and helping me realize that I was being "that guy" and I'll make sure not to do it again :)

• Cremate, Eruletho, dojimaster and 11 others like this

Rebel Fleet- 6 X-wings, 4 A-wings, 4 Y-wings, 3 B-Wings, 3 HWK-290, 1YT-1300, 3 E-wings, 3 Z95, 1 Transport, 1 Corvette.

Empire Fleet- 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Adv, 4 Tie Int, 2 Tie Bombers, 2 Firespray, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Defenders, 2 Phantoms

#76 winters_night

winters_night

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:11 PM

Just gonna skip all the back and forth.

Whatever happens on the table is between the two people playing it and the judge.

If you made a mistake and your opponent lets you correct it, rock on.

If you made a mistake and he didn't let you correct it, rock on.

edit: ha should actually read posts :P, glad it all got sorted

Edited by winters_night, 18 August 2014 - 09:15 PM.

• mjcordiner likes this

#77 pheaver

pheaver

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:14 PM

I was going to post something, but it seems like you all worked it out just fine.  Congrats to our new national champ!  Your next mission is to get your wife to let you go to Worlds - you have that bye after all. :)

• sinclair5150, UltimateZing, Osoroshii and 6 others like this

#78 mwfendt

mwfendt

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

Congrats on the win Rick! It was fun playing with you at Event Horizon! Matt.

#79 Rakky Wistol

Rakky Wistol

The Grey

• Members
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:18 PM

Rick, don't let that idiot in the crowd get to you. I happen to know that guy really well, he comes from a competitive martial arts background and this is his first minis game and first time at gen con. He definitely was out of line and didn't even think about your feelings and his poor etiquete during your guys' match. He had 3 days of x wing and was super pumped to see his friend fellow ohioan/store player make it to the finals! He did come up and ask why he was allowing you to recloak which was incredibly rude and unprofessional of him. He then went back and talked to Jeff's brother about how he should have vaped that phantom. But Jeff is a class act and knows about the pressure of the cameras and the crowd and this unempathetic idiot clearly wasn't thinking about it. I know for a fact that guy has definitely moved on and after reading your topic feels like an ass and is truly sorry. He definitely respects you as a player and person and hopes you can forgive him. He was just super excited for his friend and behaving like a football fan and being a jerk.In case you guys haven't figured it out I'm the guy Rick is referring to and I feel absolutely terrible for my behavior. I didn't think about etiquette and had no business being visibly upset. Please don't take it personal as it had nothing to do with you! You and Jeff and better players than I and in that scenario a better person. I am humbled and feel ashamed of my actions and I hope you can forgive me as I was just an excited fan who didn't realize the consequences of his actions. I hope you can forgive me and we meet across the table as friends and have an amazing game!My sincerest apologiesBen.

I was really pretty conflicted about whether or not to even publish this post. When I finally decided to do so I told myself I wasn't going to reply, I wasn't going to "like" I was just going to move on.Reading through all the replies so far I'm blown away. Thanks to everyone for their support. Some of the stories you all shared were just awesome. This is an amazing community and sometimes posts like these really give people the opportunity to share just how awesome it is. So many "likes' to you all.So I wasn't going to respond until I read Ben's post. Ben, thanks bro. You are a stand up guy. All is definitely forgiven and I hope we have the opportunity to play some time....Ohh and to the rest of you...keep your hands off my new ships!!!!Have fun and fly casual all!!

At least post a pic of the unboxing!

And may I suggest a "fly casual" upgrade design.

#80 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

Just gonna skip all the back and forth.

Whatever happens on the table is between the two people playing it and the judge.

If you made a mistake and your opponent lets you correct it, rock on.

If you made a mistake and he didn't let you correct it, rock on.

edit: ha should actually read posts :P, glad it all got sorted

Actually, a thought on this.  Was playing in a Magic tournament, where people had crowded around me.  I drew a card that would let me surprise my opponent and take the win.  Some idiot behind me went "OOOOOOHHHH!".  

Thanks.  

I think that the audience should not have any reaction that affects the game.  While I would not want a rule that says that the audience can't speak or make noises, even things like explaining how something works in the game in the rules to a new player can have an adverse effect when a game starts to have numerous complicated interactions.  X-wing is getting to that point.  

I agree.  The happens of the match are between the two players and the judge and beholden to none other.  I think that should just be a general, casual, social rule.  =)

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS