• 386 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Is it worth getting?!

#42 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:44 AM

That's hard to say.  I don't begrudge the money I spent but I'm a well-paid fellow whose gaming budget is getting underspent with FFG got taking money out of my pocket. and I'm a completionist.  If I was still in university I would never have wanted spend the price charged for this.

#43 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

I'm in my third year (mature student!) and I went and preordered the Limited Edition book!

(Which still hasn't arrived I might add - Should have ordered to the shop)

#44 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

Is it worth getting?!

As someone who cares for there partner full time meaning the largest part of my income comes from various under paying benefits I will say it is the best thing the Games Workshop design Studio have released in the last decade possibly 2 and I will be getting all 4 books (8 Volumes). They not only look exceptional but all the information within is new, this is unheard of from GW who have not released more than 10pages of new setting information in a decade.

From a RPG point of view I am not in a position to say since I have not read it all yet, but if you love the setting for its own sake I think its a must have purchase and I seriously feel this is the most exciting thing I have seen from Games Workshop since Tom Kirby got his hands on the company.

Regarding who lives who dies the Vampire team has a few loses most notably Wallach previously the most powerful Blood Dragon left, then of course there is Settra who Nagash obliterates. Remember this is only Part 1 of 4 so the various factions will all take far more hits before the story gets to its last phase. (though I am still hoping there is no resolution).

Book 2 is Skaven, Book 3 is Chaos, Book 4 is the most exciting - Elves, who by the seems of it SUMMON KHAINE and the Dark Elves and High Elves form an alliance to achieve this!

The Question of Khaine

"A God named Khaine, A God of Murder and death and bloodshed, only the willfully blind could not see this is none other than the Blood Lord Himself, cloaked in one of his many guises to beguile and trick those who might otherwise repel him!"

-The Liber Chaotica

#45 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

Archaon vs Nagash vs Khaine! whoever wins we loose...

Place your bets!

In this corner: the world heavy weight, the lord of the end times, Archaoooooooooooon the ever choooosen!

And in this cormer the returning champion, making his re-entrance after centuries of absence, Naaaaaaaaa-gash!

Fight!

• Carcosa likes this

#46 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:37 PM

You forgot

LET'S GET REEEADDDY TO RUUUMMMBBBLE!!!

#47 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

Settra doesn't really "die" he comes back possibly on team Chaos or at the very least it's team Chaos that thinks it useful to have him back.

While on Nekharan bit, we also learn (a) at least one ancient god of Nekhara still exists (or did until Nagash defeats him), which is news as the current status of those gods is very open, they are here called "Elder Gods"; (b) and that god's "afterlife realm" of the Underworld (presumably in the Realm of Chaos) is "real", or at least seems to Deiter Helsnicht, Nagash's servant, and thus though nothing is said of it, perhaps Morr's Realm is too - though some speculate it is a fiction

Oh and as another high fantasy element, the Black Pyramid lifts off and is now a flying Pyramid (we get that in some artwork too, much is recycled but some is new, at least I think so, I often think some art is new then see it was in some other warhammer product before).  That comes at the end of the timeline described here (Nagash defeating Settra, claiming all souls in Nekhara's underworld and godhood is where the "stage setting" ends).

So yes lots more development and stage setting in the books to come, each faction gets a bit of a nod and some text time here but Nagash's plan and growth (and the fly in its ointment) is the key point here.

A review here:

http://www.belloflos...mes-nagash.html

And more detailed summary here:

http://warhammer.org...hp?f=3&t=125323

Edited by valvorik, 01 September 2014 - 06:50 PM.

#48 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

Dieter Helsnicht FTW!

#49 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

The Black Pyramid???

Are the Necrons invading???? :D

• ElCommi likes this

#50 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:39 AM

So apparently some people got this:
http://natfka.blogsp...-of-damned.html

Mine is due to arrive today (Being N. Ireland couriers take an extra 2 days to reach us(?)... but Royal Mail is fine), I'm really hoping I have one inside. I'm pretty sure I got one of the frist handful of books. My order was processed within 2 minutes of the  preorders going live and dispatch email was shortly after midnight on Friday/Saturday.
It is killing me!

#51 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 942 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:00 AM

The Black Pyramid???

Are the Necrons invading???? :D

I was thinking about using Nagash's model for an acendant C'tan...

#52 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 04:43 AM

Are they in GW shops yet?

#53 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

My book arrived - although with a big dent in the corner from the courier I think. (I'll be emailing, as £100 for a book is a bit steep to have it arrive in imperfect condition)
But wahey, I got the little notebook too! I have to admit, I squealed like a schoolgirl when I saw it. My partner was taken aback!

#54 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

This is absolutely one of the biggest and most amazing book published by GW. I like the idea of 2 books and how they changed some events. The timeline is looking great and I can't wait to see next books in The End Times series. The rumour say there will be 4 of those and after them will be WFB 9th. The next year looks very promising for Warhammer Fantasy fans.

#55 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 12:15 PM

Just read half of the Nagash Sourcebook and the current Kinnslayer Gotrek & Felix Novel.

My Dwarven Blood is boiling!

Nagash got the Gate of Valaya under his controll in the Fluff Book killing two named Dwarven Characters everyone knows by Neferata and Krell. :(

And in Kinslayer Vlad von Carstein tells that Nagash has defeated Valaya and seized controll of her energy!

Nagash WILL pay!

Thrice Grudges on his Name alone! :angry:

• Carcosa likes this

#56 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

That's why i like The End Times - it's full of suprises for every Warhammer Fantasy fan.

#57 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:39 PM

Well, take into your campaign only what you like.  

Or take it and spin it, Nagash chokes on the essence of Valaya who turns all the energy of the Nekharan Underworld he absorbed against him and gives him one vast case of magical indigestion (after all his ritual was flawed), Valaya who mourns the passing of the first of all Trollslayers by unleashing all that death energy in a wave that cleanses the Chaos Wastes of all its foul life (goodbye this round of Chaos Hordes and back to scratch, if we're revising fluff lets wipe out the chaos tribes of northern humans who provide grist for the mill of chaos) and summons Grimnir to give Nagash a good beat-down.

A win for the masters of stone and steel.

Wind the "doom clock" back to where it was after the end of the first Chaos incursion with centuries before the next one.  And let's get back to political plots, religious schisms, and all that good stuff that fuels RPGing not wargaming.

Edited by valvorik, 03 September 2014 - 03:40 PM.

• x13phantom likes this

#58 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:32 AM

Wind the "doom clock" back to where it was after the end of the first Chaos incursion with centuries before the next one.  And let's get back to political plots, religious schisms, and all that good stuff that fuels RPGing not wargaming.

Well, this is something I have carefully tried to suggest in other forum too... It's not just what is happening now (the war), but were will it all lead? That is important. Not to go back - We can also go forward.

Now, we have the real Warhammer World War, one that will actually shake the world (well, least it seems to be doing that). Then one day it is over. And maybe GW will advance the timeline, who knows how much (decades, century...). Either way there will be a new world there waiting.

And this is the possibility. Rulers have changes, nations fallen, many extraordinary heroes probably gone... This gives huge opportunities for the future. If for example timeline is advanced, lets say century, that gives us entire century of intrigue, political plots, religious problems, various smaller wars, new enemies, new rulers (good and bad ones). Even basic-lines would be laid to us by GW, it will leave alot of open stuff for the fans to do.

But - we dont know that yet, offcourse. It just seems like this could be possible. Year from now we probably are more wise about these things.

Edited by jackdays, 05 September 2014 - 11:35 AM.

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#59 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:16 PM

The old timelines weren't even close to being played out IMO. The most we'd likely see from End Times in WFRP4e would be copy/paste rewrites of the new WFB background, freelancers' interpretations of the new setting from a "street level POV" that GW doesn't really care about, and scenarios that tiptoe around the big stuff that's happening in WFB. That said, I do think the post-End Times setting has potential.

#60 fritsk

fritsk

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:22 PM

Nah, it'll be one final last bright flareup up WFB and then GW will cancel the whole line:-)

• x13phantom likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS