Nagash Back, Kislev GONE!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

New for those into the Setting is that it was Nagash that stopped the Storm of Chaos and in the process of this Kislev has been obliterated! Honestly I am thrilled by this whole end of times scenarios GW are bringing out, to such an extent I am buying from them for the first time in 5 years, not only that but I will buying on preorder as I cannot wait!

The Question of Khaine

"A God named Khaine, A God of Murder and death and bloodshed, only the willfully blind could not see this is none other than the Blood Lord Himself, cloaked in one of his many guises to beguile and trick those who might otherwise repel him!"

-The Liber Chaotica

#2 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hilarious, it sounds like GW turned The Thousand Thrones campaign into official WFB canon, not what I expected. :)

#3 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hilarious, it sounds like GW turned The Thousand Thrones campaign into official WFB canon, not what I expected. :)

That was exactly my thoughts, there are a few bits of fluff I am waiting for news on but Vlad is back, Nagash brought him back to unlife and he is leading the fight against Chaos, while Nagash is kicking Settra's butt down in the south in order to reunite the south lands.

Honestly though I thought the Thousand thrones prophecies and back story around Nagash and Vampires (especially the Liber Fanaticia stuff) was fantastic and if GW have gone down that road then good! :D

The Question of Khaine

"A God named Khaine, A God of Murder and death and bloodshed, only the willfully blind could not see this is none other than the Blood Lord Himself, cloaked in one of his many guises to beguile and trick those who might otherwise repel him!"

-The Liber Chaotica

#4 Kogan Style

Kogan Style

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

Wow this single thread has reignited my interest in GW more than anything in the last 5/6 years! Any more details on how this is playing out? I missed the whole Storm of Chaos piece, what is that about?

#5 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:52 AM

Source for this? I've been paying attention to the rumours (and will be buying the books once they hit preorder) - but haven't found a source for this stuff yet - just a few people mentioning it.

#6 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:54 AM

http://www.games-wor...-Times-approach

*sniff sniff* I liked Kislev and Settra.

#7 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

http://www.belloflos...rs-wow.html?m=1

Also with pics of new Minis.
  • ElCommi likes this

#8 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

So it's inferred from the WD?
I was planning to swing by and nab the White dwarf this week anyway. Even more reason. I'll be staying up late Friday to preorder the book :P

#9 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

I think the WD "visions" (which has been reviewed negatively as too much marketing > content) is mostly pics of miniatures for main big bads.  There are pricey (everything GW is pricey) books coming including fluff, likely building from Sigmar's Blood book.

There is a "long term" sense resonating on WF that undeath is the thing that could take down Chaos.  Mostly as it's the "new kid on the block", everything else has tried and failed.  The Slann were hard pressed to drive out the Skaven so really seem to have slid, even if Lord M. is now up for launching a crusade against everything "not fitting Great Plan".

Of course, that may make for interesting WFB scenarios but is not really the setting of traditional WF RPG'ing.  Myself, I like the 2nd and 3rd edition fluff etc., and 3rd edition mechanics, but the 1st edition's sensibility of more internal struggle less world-shaking scenery chewing appeals to me more for RPGing.  The Enemy Within is better for scenarios than Storm of Chaos etc. hordes of  whatever wiping out entire countries (yes you can do scenario's around that but it's not the warhammer I like).

Edited by valvorik, 19 August 2014 - 10:16 AM.

• socratim, Johann Rowlocks and Kogan Style like this

#10 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

On the white dwarf Blog Site is also a youtube Video. Telling something that the war in the North is still on.

Also Maybe the New Felix and gotrek Series Makes Sense with another Chaos attack on the Empire. Although it Plays 20 years in the Future.

And the saying of everything will change for Every race. I'm thinking of something like a zombicalypse. People who die Stand up again to kill everyone.

#11 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

Of course, that may make for interesting WFB scenarios but is not really the setting of traditional WF RPG'ing.  Myself, I like the 2nd and 3rd edition fluff etc., and 3rd edition mechanics, but the 1st edition's sensibility of more internal struggle less world-shaking scenery chewing appeals to me more for RPGing.  The Enemy Within is better for scenarios than Storm of Chaos etc. hordes of  whatever wiping out entire countries (yes you can do scenario's around that but it's not the warhammer I like).

Very True!

2nd edition was set after the Storm of Chaos, so if FFG are going to follow that line then they will have to wait until GW decides on how this Nagash revival pans out. That may take quite a while! I must admit I was hoping that GW were actually going to move the timeline on a bit, rather than rewriting the existing timeline

#12 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:49 AM

Very True!

2nd edition was set after the Storm of Chaos, so if FFG are going to follow that line then they will have to wait until GW decides on how this Nagash revival pans out. That may take quite a while! I must admit I was hoping that GW were actually going to move the timeline on a bit, rather than rewriting the existing timeline

Playing WFRP in the Kingdom of Death post-apocalypse setting might be interesting as a one-off campaign - I wouldn't mind seeing a supplement describing it. However for default WFRP I agree, we'd need something a little more conventional. Apparently on Warseer people are speculating that this End of Times campaign is a setup for WFB 9e which will then fast-forward the timeline.

• ElCommi likes this

#13 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

The Campaign book comes up for pre-order on the weekend and is a two book set in a slip case with one being 296 pages (the fluff book) and the other being 96 (the Undead Legion Army book).

The leaks regarding Kislev are coming from very reliable sources on Warseer and have been backed up by the leaked stuff from next weeks White Dwarf, though I VERY much doubt they will make the mistake of actually concluding the campaign in a fluff sense.

From what I can gather (I Love Nagash lore so have been following the topics across multiple forums) the storm of chaos has not been written out at all, and the changes are not as huge as I feel you may be worried about. Basically when Mannfred went forth to stop Chaos passing though his lands, he did this under the leadership of Vlad and it was them that actually stopped Archeon from destroying the empire who would have been screwed otherwise. Vlad and Mannfred have only pushed the Chaos hordes back to the lands of Kislev, not destroyed them which is why Kislev has been destroyed as it is maintaining the Chaos Forces. So it has basically just rewritten the end of the Storm of Chaos, Grimgor, Valtan and the headbutting of Archeon have gone (thank gone) instead being replaced by the intervention of Vlad and Manfred. Nagash meanwhile is leading a war against against the Tomb Kings, in order to rebuild the Nekharian Civilisation in the south, which once done he will turn his attentions back up to the North and the pushing out of Chaos from the Warhammer World.

So basically the Empire is still in the wreck of the Storm of chaos, its only got a undead issue at the same time, though as far as I am aware this is less of an invasion and more of a era. Wizards are turning to the Necromantic arts due to the huge boosts Nagash is providing to users, not to gain power as most Warlocks do but from pure desperation.. Its a Dark dark time, chaos is not defeated and the Storm was actually worse upon the Empire, Undeath is rife and Nagash has unleashed his Divine Agents upon the Warhammer World, Morghast Harbingers and Morghast Archai bring forth his Divine will, Heralds of the coming apocalypse, while it is known Nagash has summoned forth the Nine Lords of Undeath to serve him once again...

I hope that helps Crimsonsun

• ElCommi likes this

The Question of Khaine

-The Liber Chaotica

#14 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

The monthly Visions is a bit pants, but the weekly isn't too bad (provided you like the armies). I'm a WFB player (painter/collector mostly these days), it's how I learned of WFRP.
My first army was the undead; so I am loving this: I'm talking the partner into helping me purchase the limited edition book this weekend (It's my birthday soon!). Mostly because I want the map.
GW are notorious for not selling merchandise, including maps ¬_¬

#15 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

For crying out loud. I've loved the Warhammer undead ever since the Return of the Lich Lord for HeroQuest. I really REALLY hope this looks and feels good because I'm quite ready to rekindle my love for WFRP and kickstart a new campaign.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#16 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:38 PM

For crying out loud. I've loved the Warhammer undead ever since the Return of the Lich Lord for HeroQuest. I really REALLY hope this looks and feels good because I'm quite ready to rekindle my love for WFRP and kickstart a new campaign.

You mean Return of the Witch King Surely? Return of the Liche Lord was WHQ, I had both and I share your concerns and hopes.

The Question of Khaine

-The Liber Chaotica

#17 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

ElCommi, what limited edition book is that?
  • ElCommi likes this

#18 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

From what I can gather (I Love Nagash lore so have been following the topics across multiple forums) the storm of chaos has not been written out at all, and the changes are not as huge as I feel you may be worried about. Basically when Mannfred went forth to stop Chaos passing though his lands, he did this under the leadership of Vlad and it was them that actually stopped Archeon from destroying the empire who would have been screwed otherwise. Vlad and Mannfred have only pushed the Chaos hordes back to the lands of Kislev, not destroyed them which is why Kislev has been destroyed as it is maintaining the Chaos Forces. So it has basically just rewritten the end of the Storm of Chaos, Grimgor, Valtan and the headbutting of Archeon have gone (thank gone) instead being replaced by the intervention of Vlad and Manfred.

Am I the only one who has problems with this? Rewriting the End of the Storm of Chaos!? Why?

Couldnt they go 10 years into the Future?

Karl Franz is still Emperor and everything is still the same. Actually I feel cheated. Like the GM is saying, well last session that and that happened, but I thought about it and instead this has happened. That is not how it should work.

It is correct that they hava changed the lore quite a lot from WFRP 1 to WFRP 2. With Sigmars Hammer gone and then it still stays with Karl and stuff.

Maybe I should calm a little bit. It is good they take again steps forward. Global Actions didnt bother roleplaying at all, but it gives me as a GM new inspiration and most of all fun to again dive into the old world.

@SPECIAL EDITION

http://www.belloflos...gashs-head.html only 130€s. :)

Edited by Glorian Underhill, 19 August 2014 - 01:44 PM.

#19 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:59 PM

From what I can gather (I Love Nagash lore so have been following the topics across multiple forums) the storm of chaos has not been written out at all, and the changes are not as huge as I feel you may be worried about. Basically when Mannfred went forth to stop Chaos passing though his lands, he did this under the leadership of Vlad and it was them that actually stopped Archeon from destroying the empire who would have been screwed otherwise. Vlad and Mannfred have only pushed the Chaos hordes back to the lands of Kislev, not destroyed them which is why Kislev has been destroyed as it is maintaining the Chaos Forces. So it has basically just rewritten the end of the Storm of Chaos, Grimgor, Valtan and the headbutting of Archeon have gone (thank gone) instead being replaced by the intervention of Vlad and Manfred.

Am I the only one who has problems with this? Rewriting the End of the Storm of Chaos!? Why?

Couldnt they go 10 years into the Future?

Karl Franz is still Emperor and everything is still the same. Actually I feel cheated. Like the GM is saying, well last session that and that happened, but I thought about it and instead this has happened. That is not how it should work.

The endings of campaigns like TEW and SoC shouldn't be taken as canon IMO, just one possible way the story might unfold. Plus the headbutting and sudden disappearance of Archaon was one of the most hated things about the SoC so it makes sense they'd retcon that part if they're trying to rebuild any sort of continuity between 2008 WFB and 2014 WFB. Let's hope they do it right this time with less cowbell.

Edited by Herr Arnulfe, 19 August 2014 - 01:59 PM.

#20 Vaeron

Vaeron

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

Playing WFRP in the Kingdom of Death post-apocalypse setting might be interesting as a one-off campaign - I wouldn't mind seeing a supplement describing it. However for default WFRP I agree, we'd need something a little more conventional. Apparently on Warseer people are speculating that this End of Times campaign is a setup for WFB 9e which will then fast-forward the timeline.

I agree that I'd prefer more conventional and that this idea would be better as a supplement. In fact, rewinding the timeline was one of my favorite things about 3e.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS