Photo

Homstead Rules (Far Horizons/Base of Operations)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

Valid, Ebak, but we have to work within the page count. I agree a section like this would have likewise been neat to see accompanying the explorer book, but the space just wasn't there.

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#22 Lotr_Nerd

Lotr_Nerd

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:06 PM

How much is the starting credit production of a homestead or business, I know one improvement increases it by a 100 credits each time it is bought but what does it spit out without that add-on?

#23 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:38 PM

RAW doesn't have it start out as a profitable business. Most businesses don't make profits their entire first year, as the general wisdom goes. The business is considered to pay out whatever it makes to labor, land (maybe some kind of loan was taken out to help get it started beyond the starting cost paid by the PCs) or whatever else.

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

#24 Ebak

Ebak

• Members
  • 333 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:47 AM

Oh no, I perfectly understand you are limited by the page count, was merely making an observation of what would have been nice. :)

#25 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:13 AM

i have a question about what the types of homesteads you can have are and if you could have something like general store moisture farm or ship repair garage and weapons shop?

Edited by pashacordaro420, 22 August 2014 - 07:13 AM.

• KRKappel likes this

#26 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 07:27 AM

It occurred to me last night watching Episode IV to wonder how it is that there are "seasons" in moisture farming. The "harvest" is the most important time of year!

Did they plant a bunch of water seeds? :)

• kaosoe likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#27 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:18 AM

It occurred to me last night watching Episode IV to wonder how it is that there are "seasons" in moisture farming. The "harvest" is the most important time of year!

Well now see ya got yer Dry Season, Extra Dry Season, Spice Season (fouls up the vapor filterators sometin fierce), and finally yer Ultra Dry Season.

Most moisture farmers only get a good harvest in the Dry Season and use their take from the Extra Dry Season for home use.  I done heard tell of some newfangled vapor fins that can handle a spice wind, but I reckon I'll believe it when I see it.

• progressions, KRKappel, Jamwes and 2 others like this

#28 Enoch52

Enoch52

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

Since we're already veering off-topic: I'd imagine the seasons would make a difference in temperature, at least, which would affect humidity and the ease of extracting water vapor from the air!

I'll bet "harvest season" is in the winter, as that would make the water easier to collect (you generally collect moisture from the air by cooling it), but I may be way off.

Found an interesting article on moisture farming IRL, actually:

http://en.wikipedia....water_generator

• RedfordBlade likes this

#29 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

Pasha, you can do a homestead that covers Ranching (raising animals), Farming (moisture or other crops), or Mining for the homestead type of headquarters. For the Business type, you can make a Retail store, a service business (doctor, mechanic, and taxi stand were some of the ideas), or an entertainment venue (a cantina or theater or arcade)

#30 pashacordaro420

pashacordaro420

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

thats awesome ahhhhhh i wanna go and buy FR so bad.

#31 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:36 PM

Is this how a Homestead should look like??

• KRKappel likes this

"Make sure your shields are on Double Front, or you'll get your @$$ shot off!"

#32 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

Keith, I just read through the Homestead rules and campaigns last night, and I have to say if I wasn't right in the middle of an Explorer campaign I'd be planning out a Colonist one now!

The rules give me a lot of great campaign ideas that I know would be a lot of fun. Thanks!

I'm also dying to introduce a gregarious Chevin businessman NPC, so I think I'm doing that soon anyway :)

• KRKappel likes this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#33 eric0529

eric0529

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:02 AM

I have the book on order and can't wait to get it.  I don't know if it is covered in the book but I plan on trying to use it in conjunction to the party's ship.  I like the idea of my Force Sensitive member being tasked with re-establishing the Jedi Order and having them start a new Jedi Temple.  They will search the galaxy looking for other Force Sensitives to hide here from the Imperial Inquisitors.  Does anyone see any issues I might have with this plan that maybe I haven't thought of or that the actually having the book might help me with?

Edited by eric0529, 24 August 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#34 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

The book can certainly be used to build an academy campus of sorts. The rules aren't built specifically for that, but I can see it functioning as a quiet homestead maybe mining for crystals and hoping to find the occasional one worthy of being in a lightsaber, or ranching kybucks that some of the Jedi might learn to use as war mounts, or farming food for those living in the temple to eat. I can see it working quite nicely, actually.

• kaosoe likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS