Photo

Homstead Rules (Far Horizons/Base of Operations)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:32 PM

Alright, just like I did for the Squad(ron) rules, I want to make myself available here to discuss anything Homesteads, or answer any questions about their usage in an Edge, Age, or F&D campaign, or anything else related to the rules. Feel free to share background stories of the homesteads you have created and used in your campaigns here also. These rules are something I'm really proud of, and I hope you guys are enjoying them.

As per usual, should Sam Stewart, Andrew Fischer, or any of the other FFG staffers officially respond to any sort of rules question, it absolutely overrides anything I might suggest or say in here.

• Skie, LETE, RLogue177 and 6 others like this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

Follow me @KRKappel, facebook, and my author site. Co-founder Fandom Comics

#2 fatedtodie

fatedtodie

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

One thing that I can ask that jumps out at me is;

Why does the cost of the Improved Core Focus "cost" the same number of obligation as the Improved Security, when the Credits cost is 4 times cheaper.

GM KnowledgeRhino

My group's adventure log through Edge of the Empire stories. http://rhinospeaks.wordpress.com/

#3 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

Improve Security would seem to be an outlier on that one. It is possible that since many parties will be tempted to upgrade the combat capabilities first, and this is a way to encourage inexperienced groups to take on obligation, or look at a wider variety of upgrades.

• fatedtodie likes this

Official Contributor: Edge of the Empire: Suns of Fortune, Far Horizons, Age of Rebellion: GM's Kit, Stay on Target, and Force & Destiny: Core Rulebook

#4 fatedtodie

fatedtodie

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:30 PM

One thing my players asked (that I just remember when re-reading this section) was if they wanted to "borrow" from the homestead rules to setup a station on a big enough ship, how much room would it take up.

Like the infirmary or the mechanics garage, could those be build into a ship if it was big enough, and if so, how much capacity would you suggest for something like that?

GM KnowledgeRhino

My group's adventure log through Edge of the Empire stories. http://rhinospeaks.wordpress.com/

#5 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

I would say that a space station is a non-mobile entity, except in rare exceptions (like the Death Star). If you were to incorporate these rules onto a starship, I'd first restrict it to the Business homestead type, and I'd also require they be on a ship that is at least silhouette 7 or larger (6 is possible in some circumstances, I suppose). Obviously this would have to be some sort of luxury cruise liner which has a shopping and entertainment district, or some kind of traveling bazaar, or something similar. I would only allow this if the PCs didn't actually also control the ship itself.

Obviously, you should do whatever is fun and works at your table, but the real intent of the Homestead rules is to make the Base of Operations a tempting choice in lieu of a party starship, or provide some benefit to those starting campaigns that take place all on a single planet, eliminating the need for a party starship. Using these rules to super-power your existing party starship would defeat the purpose.

• Himsett, Liloki, kaosoe and 2 others like this

#6 the-hypnotoad

the-hypnotoad

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

I would say that a space station is a non-mobile entity, except in rare exceptions (like the Death Star). If you were to incorporate these rules onto a starship, I'd first restrict it to the Business homestead type, and I'd also require they be on a ship that is at least silhouette 7 or larger (6 is possible in some circumstances, I suppose). Obviously this would have to be some sort of luxury cruise liner which has a shopping and entertainment district, or some kind of traveling bazaar, or something similar. I would only allow this if the PCs didn't actually also control the ship itself.

This is very, very interesting to me. An NPC my party hasn't encountered yet is a toydarian named Jeppo. He owns a rusty Action VI bulk transport named the Fancy Bantha. It has two giant metal bantha horns welded onto the outside.  :D  The Fancy Bantha is a huge traveling bazaar and is intended to be a mobile source of plot hooks and job opportunities if they can get in good with him.

The Action VI is only sil.5 so maybe the homestead rules wouldn't be directly applicable but they should be able to give me some ideas. Looking forward to getting Far Horizons!

• cvtheoman likes this

#7 Lancer999

Lancer999

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

What is your stance on a Base of Ops?? Like an Asteroid (Old Mining Facility) or some abandoned place in the outer rim...What would be your starting stats for such things and cost?

"Make sure your shields are on Double Front, or you'll get your @$$ shot off!"

#8 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:39 AM

The Homestead Rules do allow for a resupply station type of base of operations within the rules. I would say this could be covered in that way.

#9 Iosuah

Iosuah

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

These rules will help us resolve several significant problems in our game.

They are super-elegant - I love the focus on making the BoA an interesting source of story, rather than just a space.

For the space-station variant, I noticed that the number of people that can come aboard is relatively modest - does anything get too out of kilter if that number is increased substantially?

#10 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:29 PM

My FLGS hasn't gotten in Far Herizons yet, so forgive me if this is covered in the book. Can the "homestead" be a small capital ship? Allowing players to have their own, say, CR90 or something similar?

-EF

#11 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:34 PM

My FLGS hasn't gotten in Far Herizons yet, so forgive me if this is covered in the book. Can the "homestead" be a small capital ship? Allowing players to have their own, say, CR90 or something similar?

-EF

Look up, like, 5 posts in this thread.

• EldritchFire and Icosiel like this

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#12 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:41 PM

-EF

Look up, like, 5 posts in this thread.

Umm, erm…fail >_<

-EF
  • progressions likes this

#13 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:09 PM

Heh.

#14 fatedtodie

fatedtodie

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

To be fair I think my question my have been misunderstood. I was more referring to just taking "the garage" or "the infirmary" not the whole homestead.  I was happy with the answer but it may have been more broad than I asked about.

GM KnowledgeRhino

#15 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:47 PM

Mm. I would say that is entirely at your GM's discretion, because when you are modding a ship, now you are talking hard points, or giving up cargo capacity. I wouldn't allow them to just port over as is at those prices, I'd probably draw something up for my players that has a similar effect that fits with the starship mods rules. However, I think for most repairs and medicine checks onboard a ship, just saying the place has a space to do it, and the appropriate tools is probably enough to get 1 boost and call it a day. To get what the homestead offers, you'd really need quite a bit of dedicated space, I'd think, and when you are talking about something as small as a light freighter, I dunno. I wouldn't let my table use it that way.

• kaosoe likes this

#16 fatedtodie

fatedtodie

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:05 PM

I am the GM at my table.

What about if for a garage or Infirmary, it was you need a ship at least silhouette X and to convert X hardpoints and X number of encumbrance capacity.

With that maybe a minimum of;

Silhouette of 3 or 4 (4 more likely)

2 Hard Points

300-400 Encumbrance

Cost 23000 credits

Would that be too restrictive/not restrictive enough?

With that "modification" you could fit the garage in a wayfarer or a sand crawler (like the Jawas did in episode 4) but nothing smaller.

Just trying to come up with a "yes, but.." answer for my Player that asked, rather than a "no".

GM KnowledgeRhino

#17 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:23 PM

Well, to quote Obi-wan, "You must do what you feel is right, of course." I've given all the thoughts on that I can. Good luck, and remember that in this game, fun at your table is the most important thing. If your player really really wants it, and you don't see it as game breaking, let them have their fun, or just make your own mod that addresses the same desire.

• progressions and fatedtodie like this

#18 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,974 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:44 PM

I think that the list of bonus Career Skills for the Business option might need some expansion. I can easily see the suggested medical clinic providing Medicine, a taxi service providing Piloting (Planetary), a detective agency providing Perception, etc. I think a Business to support just about any skill could be justified with a little imagination.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#19 KRKappel

KRKappel

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:23 PM

This is possible, sure. Though a knowledge Xenology or Knowledge Education could cover a service business like a hospital within the rules very well too. Knowledge Lore might benefit a taxi service better, to represent rumors they pick up driving the cabs. Detectives can similarly pick up Lore or Underworld as knowledge skills and be served very well.

So, I think the rules cover just about any business you can think up that fits into service, retail, or entertainment as a category. However, if the whole table agrees the suggested class skills aren't working, again, I believe every table should feel free to adapt the rules as they see fit to maximize fun.

#20 Ebak

Ebak

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

I have to say KRKappel. I LOVE this book, it really captures a different feel of Star Wars than we are used to and I really like that.

The only criticism I have, and it is only a small one and perhaps is uncalled for, is that with the focus being on colonising worlds, it would have been nice to have a section about a few selection of planets where it would be possible to settle, and maybe a 'Creatures of the Galaxy' section with adversaries that are all just wild fauna and flora you may find on planets.

• kaosoe likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS