• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 darkstarminis

darkstarminis

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 02:22 PM

What did you use to resculpt them?

Hey thanks DaMaz, I use Magic Sculpt to do almost all of my conversions or touch ups on minis.  This material is my preference over Green Stuff.  For me at least, it's easier to use and has less of a learning curve...although it's still ridiculously challenging to sculpt anythign for me, definitely not my strong suit, but I still feel the need to modify minis from time to time, especially if the face is going to let the mini down once it's painted.

Awesome job (as always), darkstar! Alys and Avric look like they got their armour from the same outfitter. :lol:

Hey thank you JSM, indeed they must be getting thier kit from the same stall in Ahrynn! :P

You're work on Alys is really wonderfull (as always, and jaleaous as ever) but, as I thought, the minis is lacking of detail and is not so great, even with your work.

Thank you rugal, I appreciate it :D

Yeah some of the minis are quite nice actually but some of them, yeah, even a nice paintjob can't save them.  I really like some of them like Corbin though, he's looks great and can't wait to paint that guy.  Some of the monsters are pretty bad too but some of them are amazing like the new Giants.  It's very 'hit and miss' and I'm definitely thinking about proxies for some of the minis that I don't like such as the Goblin Archers.  I have lots of ideas about proxies...

#42 darkstarminis

darkstarminis

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:57 PM

Augur Grisom is done and here he is:

15505945111_1d848ece51_o.jpg

I love this little mini.  He's just got so much expression and character in his expression.  Such steely resolve!  But by little mini I mean...these Descent minis are tiny and to top it all off he's a dwarf!  I can only imagine my feelings about this scale by the time I get down to Tomble or Ravaella, the gnomes/halfling types...I may go mad by then.  The upside being, that when I paint my 'normal' minis they seem like I'm painting on a mural...so I've got that going for me at least which is nice :P

• Magallian, JSM3050, keschnell and 3 others like this

#43 Torg

Torg

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:16 AM

Got to admit that Darkstars paint jobs are impressive but makes them even more impressive is the size of them compared to say Citadel/GW mini which are bigger (28 mm scale), am loving the 2 dwarfs as they are my favorite characters in the game I seen so far.

Edited by Torg, 16 October 2014 - 12:38 PM.

• darkstarminis likes this

#44 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

I want them ... all of them ...

Where do you live (mwahh haa haa haa haa)?  :P

• darkstarminis likes this

#45 darkstarminis

darkstarminis

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 12:59 PM

Got to admit that Darkstars paint jobs are impressive but makes them even more impressive is the size of them compared to say Citadel/GW mini which are bigger (28 mm scale), am loving the 2 dwarfs as they are my favorite characters in the game I seem so far.

Thank you!  They are quite a bit smaller than what I usually paint that's for sure !  Looking forward to getting to paint the giants heh.

Hide your minis, hide your figures!  Haha thank you for that :)

#46 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 01:29 PM

Had the same idea, but let him finish before finish him off and stealing all of thoses !

#47 any2cards

any2cards

• Members
  • 912 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 03:27 PM

Had the same idea, but let him finish before finish him off and stealing all of thoses !

All right ... I suppose that gives us time to hire a private investigator ...  :D

#48 lludan23

lludan23

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hey darkstar, 

#49 lludan23

lludan23

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

sorry mis post, what i wanted to ask is how hard is it to create a face for these minis? the new tahila is missing lips

#50 455 PWR

455 PWR

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 October 2014 - 08:36 PM

Absolutely wonderful work again! You sir are amazing and an inspiration.

Maybe a dwarf ranger next? Or a human champion with a large sword?

#51 magicrealm

magicrealm

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:25 AM

Hoiw much would it cost if you would paint figures for others ?

#52 thedremak

thedremak

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

As he stated earlier, it takes 8 to 10 hours to paint one so if he charged 15 dollars an hour, it would be 150 dollars or so, each.

#53 shiron

shiron

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

You are incredible. I just read this forum today, and after that I arrived home, I picked up my figure and tried to compare the base gray with your painted minis. It is awesome... I hope I could paint half as good as you do. 

My favorite character is Dezra. I think that someone like you can paint her awesome. Her picture is great, and she has so unique mood. I hope you have enough time to your hobby, and we can delight in your works in the future!

#54 deerhunter73

deerhunter73

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

Very nice. I want to see more of these.

#55 deviluxo

deviluxo

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:34 AM

Best paints i've seen in descent 2º Ed, I love the paints on Ashrian's face

Nice work :)

#56 ExExerciser

ExExerciser

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:06 PM

Wow! These are just wow! More pics.

#57 uppTagg

uppTagg

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:52 AM

Hey man amazing job! Inspired me to start painting my figures (Avric will be done tonight, I'll post in a separate thread)

Do you varnish at all? During a game the minis are handled quite a lot, is my concern..

Keep it up and keep posting! Please do :)

#58 steambucky

steambucky

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 04:37 AM

Great work. Inspiring!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS