My Painted Descent Minis

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

What the original poster is doing is overkill .. cool sweet pure awesome overkill.

I never tried to paint because i'm a perfectionnist and the "awesome overkill" is a minimum to me. But i'm never going to have thoses skills by doing nothing fearing to do not as good as aggerhomes.

#22 darkstarminis

darkstarminis

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

Omg you detail is amazing! i love Ashrians eyes/makeup, and the work you did to her rope! Not to mention that small seem on her shirt under her arm. How the hell did you get in there? 
I've thought that I should share my attempt on painting Ashrian and Avric, I've never painted before. So the Descent board-game has to suffer my amateurish attempts. But I'm really loving it, it's like meditation for me. Except when I miss, or can't get the details right :)

What kind of brushes do you use? if you are using a brush at all?
for me i find it really hard to use the thinner brushes since they can't hold the paint properly, and it find it impossible to get the strokes right. I would love to get more detail on my paints. 

Hey thank you and you're right it's a kind of meditation when you are in the 'zone' after painting for awhile.  Believe me it's a huge draw for me doing this all the time, it really is a meditative practice. 

Regarding the brushes I use Winsor & Newton Series 7 size 0 for practically everything, sometimes I go to the W&N Series 7 Miniature range for tiny details.  These brushes are designed to hold and release paint in a very consistent way.  You will have to practice much (and watching others paint really helps) to get the feel for the consistency.  It takes time and most people struggle with it until they get it.  My video series on painting the Ogre Chieftain from Reaper demonstrates my entire technique in exhaustive detail from brushes to paints to consistency to everything else I ramble about.  My youtube channel has those videos somewhere which you can find at youtube.com/user/darkstarminis

Be warned though these are long videos with no shortcuts but I do show my personal approach and the series was designed to give insight for those new to the hobby as well as veterans, but they're not short little how to videos at all.  They are rambly and long but that's the point, to show everything.

your pics are certainly good enough for gamer quality. What the original poster is doing is overkill .. cool sweet pure awesome overkill.

They are indeed!  And our little group here is excited to game with these pieces when they're all done someday in the distant future!

What the original poster is doing is overkill .. cool sweet pure awesome overkill.

I never tried to paint because i'm a perfectionnist and the "awesome overkill" is a minimum to me. But i'm never going to have thoses skills by doing nothing fearing to do not as good as aggerhomes.

This is true you have to practice.  But there's nothing to fear at all.  I still hold on to my first painted minis to show people that ask, believe me they don't look that great...although they would be fine in a game on the table.  But the key is to just go for it, jump in and get some practice and see what you can learn.  For every smooth blend or pleasing detail you see...what you're not seeing is the hundreds of minis I've painted before these to learn how.  Each of those was necessary to get to this level, and each has it's own challenges and hurdles.  It all takes time, and devoted practice, and you really have to be the kind of person that likes enjoying a 'process' when it comes to painting minis, because really it is a process.  Step after step, layer after layer, thousands of untold times over and over again...if you're a perfectionist who enjoys the process (and learning from the mistakes that come with it) this is the right hobby for sure!

Keep a notebook handy when starting in case you stumble on something that you like for later, mine goes back to '03 when I first started and I reference it all the time.

Edited by darkstarminis, 05 September 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#23 keschnell

keschnell

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:16 PM

Great job--I've seen a lot of painted Descent minis, and this might be the most impressive!

#24 JSM3050

JSM3050

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Those are some awesome paint jobs! I wish I had even a drop of talent with physical media (painting, drawing, sculpting, etc) but all my skill points went into writing (exactly how many points that is is up to my readers).

#25 darkstarminis

darkstarminis

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Finished up Grisban over the last week:

15321913792_5a10bc852a_o.jpg

Great job--I've seen a lot of painted Descent minis, and this might be the most impressive!

Hey thank you for the kind compliment!

Those are some awesome paint jobs! I wish I had even a drop of talent with physical media (painting, drawing, sculpting, etc) but all my skill points went into writing (exactly how many points that is is up to my readers).

Hey thank you I appreciate that :)  Never too late to roll and add a new feat, takes practice though (for me about 10 years of practice and counting!)

Next up will be Jaina Fairwood.  I work on these about an hour a day so it's slow going but it will one day be a completed project.

• JSM3050, keschnell and Carbini like this

#26 DAMaz

DAMaz

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 03:52 PM

Those triangles on Grisban are a mess on my mini. I thought about freehand-painting them but I fear that the irregular sculp will sabotage my efforts. The same goes for the middle-section of his belly, which are just strait lines on my mini.

Did you freehand-paint over them or did you file them away before even starting with painting this model.

In case you did the former, how to avoid the problem that the color rather sticks to the sculpted patterns than to your freehand-forms?

btw. awsome paint-job, I check this thread regularly to see how you did the things I had problems with and so far you always surprised me. Although I still don't really like high-contrast paint-jobs, yours are the best and least cartoony I've seen so far.

Edited by DAMaz, 22 September 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#27 rugal

rugal

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:12 AM

:wub:  how much to do mines ?

#28 darkstarminis

darkstarminis

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

Those triangles on Grisban are a mess on my mini. I thought about freehand-painting them but I fear that the irregular sculp will sabotage my efforts. The same goes for the middle-section of his belly, which are just strait lines on my mini.

Did you freehand-paint over them or did you file them away before even starting with painting this model.

In case you did the former, how to avoid the problem that the color rather sticks to the sculpted patterns than to your freehand-forms?

btw. awsome paint-job, I check this thread regularly to see how you did the things I had problems with and so far you always surprised me. Although I still don't really like high-contrast paint-jobs, yours are the best and least cartoony I've seen so far.

Hey thanks, the triangles were not that bad on this sculpt although yeah some of the detail can be in very bad shape on some of these pieces.  I paint over anything that is awkward, on pieces like this that are for my own games and collection and SO small I don't worry about it too much if it's odd shaped or disfigured in the cast.  I just paint over it and "fool the eye" with fancy highlights and shading.  A good example on Grisban would be his belly where that linework is.  That detail was barely there on the cast so I just painted it all in while kinda following the barely perceptible lines.  In the end you wouldn't know.

In regards to filing, all I do with these is just trim away the mold lines as best as I can with a super sharp xacto.  Now, for my professional commissions I take as much time as I need to make sure the surfaces are free of defects even if that means resculpting pieces entirely.  With these personal minis...I don't want to spend too much time on them in the prep phase, (or painting phase for that matter) I just draw the line between what I can live with personally and what I'd really feel the need to fix.  But about the filing, with something like this if I were to fix it I would just fill it all in with epoxy and smooth it down flush then paint over that.  This kind of plastic that FFG uses doesn't really file that well but it's nothing that filling in the detail with putty wouldn't cover up.

:wub:  how much to do mines ?

Hey, thanks for the question!  These took me about 8 to 10 hours to paint, gosh I don't think I could realistically charge you a price that would make you and I happy though.  Because these are just little descent minis and not full scale high quality collectibles that I normally paint, but it still would take me as much time...man that's tricky.  8 to 10 hours is still 8 to 10 hours for me and I'd have to charge accordingly which, I personally think would be too much for a little mini like this.  Thank you though :)

#29 Magallian

Magallian

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 04:01 AM

As expected your work on Grisban looks astounding Darkstar! The details are unmatched. May I ask what type and brand of brushes you use for the finest details? I assume the tiniest details like your work on the eyes are made with a needle or such?

Inspired I obtained the H&S Infinity CR airbrush, a wide range of Vallego Model Air and Game Air and accessoires in recent weeks. As a complete newbie I started airbrushing and painting the larger monsters first to get the hang of it. Primed, basecoated, blended colors and highlighted/shaded most of them. Next up are the fine details. Simultaneously I started on painting Avric with the character sheet and rulebook for reference at one side and your finished work on Avric on the monitor at the other side.

Thanks for sharing your work Darkstar! Still looking forward to see your work on a Descent miniature appear on your Youtube-channel one day! ;)

Edited by Magallian, 26 September 2014 - 04:04 AM.

#30 darkstarminis

darkstarminis

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

I finished up Jain Fairwood before the weekend, here she is :)

15174896810_12fb8a18c3_o.jpg

Next in line is Leoric of the Book.

As expected your work on Grisban looks astounding Darkstar! The details are unmatched. May I ask what type and brand of brushes you use for the finest details? I assume the tiniest details like your work on the eyes are made with a needle or such?

Inspired I obtained the H&S Infinity CR airbrush, a wide range of Vallego Model Air and Game Air and accessoires in recent weeks. As a complete newbie I started airbrushing and painting the larger monsters first to get the hang of it. Primed, basecoated, blended colors and highlighted/shaded most of them. Next up are the fine details. Simultaneously I started on painting Avric with the character sheet and rulebook for reference at one side and your finished work on Avric on the monitor at the other side.

Thanks for sharing your work Darkstar! Still looking forward to see your work on a Descent miniature appear on your Youtube-channel one day! ;)

Hey, thank you! I'm glad I could inspire you to get busy airbrushing and painting :)  I love that airbrush by the way, I'll probably use it just as you did when I get to the monsters, especially the bigger pieces.  Reference is great to have on hand while painting, that's a big bonus to painting these Descent minis, we've got artist's renditions to paint by!

To answer your question about brushes, I only use Winsor and Newton Series 7 brushes when I paint, I'm just used to them after 10 plus years of practically daily use.  For the tiniest details I pick them out with a W&N series 7 Miniature size 0.   They taper down to a single hair.  I usually don't paint with the Miniature series 7 as the normal size 0 is plenty fine, but for the tiniest of details I lean on it, otherwise it doesn't hold enough paint to be too helpful usually and I prefer the standard size.

• Magallian, keschnell and Carbini like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS