Closing gates , Yog-sototh, and being delayed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wrath231

wrath231

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:54 AM

1. If you're using Fight to close a gate, do weapon modifiers help in any way?

2. If I get sucked through a sudden gate due to a location encounter , does being delayed essentially mean I have to stay in the first space in  the other world for an additional turn because you have to wait to get undelayed?

3. If you're using a shotgun, does the special ability still work against monsters with a physical immunity?

I'm also still baffled how investigators are supposed to have a chance against an AO like Yog. So to get a hit in on him , you have to do a fight check at -5 and then pass a will check than increasingly gets harder every passing turn. So what possible skill setup should you do since both Will and Fight seem vitally important? Or im guessing should you have enough big ticket common and unique items , allies , spells , and skills to artificially buff your investigator. It still seems highly improbable you can survive long enough to get enough successes to get rid of all the doom tokens, especially with a smaller group.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

1. Depends of what you intend for weapon modifiers. Do you intend the +1 Fight granted by the Sledgehammer? Yeah. Do you mean rolling '6' with the Shotgun implies two successes (great against Yog)? Again, yes. Nope, because the card states "when using Shotgun in Combat". Do you mean the Combat bonus? Nope, Combat is a special type of Fight checks, but for closing gates you use Fight, not Combat

2. Yes. Basically, you lose the movement phase in the next turn. Beware that if you're sucked in an OW during the encounter phase, you are to have an OW encounter also in the turn you're sucked through the gate, ending up in the investigator having to survive (unless special encounters or spells are used) three OW encounters in stead of the usual two

3. Yes. You can shotgun the Color Out of Space. No Combat bonus, but 6 counts double (good luck with the Sanity, tho, LOL)

4. You have to pass a Combat check against Yog, not a Fight check. Go for Blessings, good physical weapons. Lock, load, pray (not an easy AO in FB). Also remember there are some attack cancellers you can find that should give yo some respite. Uh, and stockpile gate trophies for when the checks become harder to pass.

Edited by Julia, 18 August 2014 - 12:26 PM.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:40 AM

To this day I have yet to beat Yogi.  Played against him 4 times and lost every single one.  Probably didn't help that the lurker was the herald every game.

#4 wrath231

wrath231

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:02 AM

I'm still wondering what the ideal will\fight skill allocation should be against yog...blowing your will save and being out of gate tokens ain't gonna work. But some the "professor" investigators are really light weights when it comes to their fight rating.

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Julia, again, sorry, I have to disagree on point 1. The Shotgun double-6 ability is a combat ability, and so won't help you when closing gates. It may not get eliminated by physical immunity because it is not a combat bonus, but its ability (just like the bullwhip's) is only usable in combat. Sledgehammer, on the other hand, offers a +1 Fight specifically for non-combat use.

• Julia likes this

#6 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,392 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:27 PM

Julia, again, sorry, I have to disagree on point 1. The Shotgun double-6 ability is a combat ability, and so won't help you when closing gates. It may not get eliminated by physical immunity because it is not a combat bonus, but its ability (just like the bullwhip's) is only usable in combat. Sledgehammer, on the other hand, offers a +1 Fight specifically for non-combat use.

Don't be sorry, you're so totally right about this one. I just checked the Shotgun text, and it clearly says "In Combat". Been spending too much time on Eldritch. Good holidays are coming, and Arkham with them.

Apologies to the OP for the confusion made on the shotgun issue.

And thanks Chris for catching this :)

• wrath231 likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS