• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jasper

jasper

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:41 AM

Hi all,

Last weekend, we in our game group had an argument about the unending darkness mythos card.

the card reads:

Ongoing Effect: Place 10 clue tokens on this card. When a monster moves from the street area or a location to the sky or into a vortex (on either the dunnwich or innsmouth boards), remove a token.

Pass: If each investigator is Blessed, return this card to the box. Each investigator has his max sanity increased by 1. Any player with 1 or more madnesses cards (from the dunwich Horror expansion) may choose1 to discard.

Fail: If the number of clue tokens on this card is less than the terror level, return it to the box. All players discard all spells and then return the spell deck is returned to the box for the rest of the game.

No gate but two doom tokens are added tot he doom track. and moon monsters move black while plus monsters move white.

The problem is the part that says ftom the Dunwich Horror expansion.
Does this means you can only discard madness cards that come originally with that expansion.

Or, and this is what i thought, because it is between brackets it is only a referal to the dunwich horror expansion, in case you don't have that one and you may discard any madness card even if it came with the Miskatonic Horror expansion.

I don't know if trhis question is already resolved, but I hope you guys could help me.

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:26 AM

Madness coming with Miskatonic have the Dunwich symbol in gold in the lower right corner, IIRC, so that this means that they expand that expansion. Hence the wording on the card is correct: it doesn't matter the physical box that hosted that card, Madnesses and Injuries are Dunwich components.

The real problem with this card is the wording "if each investigator is blessed". What does it mean? Each investigator is blessed = has a blessing at the same time? Each investigator is blessed because, while the rumor's running, earns a Blessing? What if an investigator had already been Blessed before the rumor appeared? Does that count? Or not?

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Normally, Julia, I would laugh with you over the ambiguity of "blessed" and "cursed," but in this case I think the intent is clearly "blessed, the status of owning a blessing." Arkham is typically very good about counting occurrences, and the card doesn't seem to keep track of each time an investigator is blessed.

#4 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 12:25 PM

Aye, agreed with you on this point, but I cannot really believe that the rumor was designed in such a penalizing way for larger teams. It's impossible for an 8-investigator team to actually have 8 blessings at the same time (not to mention 10 blessings: if you play all in, 10-investigator games are possible, and Rumors do not scale due to the board reduction factor).

Plus, what if you have a cursed investigator being Blessed? Not enough to check a +1 on the rumor? Not so sure I agree with you that this doesn't count, sorry :)

Seriously. Not saying you're wrong, beware, I'm just saying that, if the wording is to played literally, it's just a badly designed card (not that I'm particularly fond of the Rumors coming with MH in general)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

Right, I get you. I still think it's "simultaneously blessed" and they were probably thinking that the fair counterbalance was the fact that all investigators get the max increase. Also consider that Dance of the Damned requires all investigators to be blessed and have Tomes! That may be a promotional card but that's pretty stupidly impossible even for 4 investigators at times (Tsathoggua or Y'Golonac? Forget it.).

But, all considered, Unending Darkness is a MH rumor we're talking about, and those tend to be hard to pass.

Edited by Tibs, 19 August 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#6 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,522 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:20 AM

Fair points on both issues. Additionally, uhm, penalties for failing Unending Darkness are not so terrible. I mean, you can win games without the spell deck in play. Dunno.

Never had that one being failed or passed, tho. It's usually quite a long rumor you can control in some ways, so you can keep it running as shield for other rumors and try to win / lose the game in between.

Anyhoo, interesting reflections, thanks :)

#7 jasper

jasper

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:39 AM

I think It is simultaniuos blessed. We did that with 8 ppl and we started out with a curesed rex... so, is not impossible. It just depends on wich herald, wich acient one ect. And I agree you can win without spells. Although this agains depends on wich acient one and herrald you are playing against. Thx for the Help guys :D

#8 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

I agree with Tibs onthe simultaneous ruling; however this is an example of a Rumor which guided my ruling for my games in which I would need to have the # of Investigators - the expansion map Blessed to satisfy the requirement.

Edited by The Professor, 21 August 2014 - 05:20 AM.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#9 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,602 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

That's interesting, Prof. Extend the multi-board handicap to cover things like this.

#10 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 03:12 PM

Yes, indeed...I don't know if you ever saw my House rules, but particular Rumors are bloody devastating if you're trying to negotiate several boards and you have to satisfy the requirment back in the French Hill District.

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS