Two weapon combat with shield

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Garomo

Garomo

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

The colonist handbook has a riot shield as new melee weapon. Let's say I want to hold a blaster pistol in one hand and the riot shield in the other. I would only be attacking with the blaster, the shield merely bolsters my defense rating. Would I still need to apply the two weapon penalty to any attacks made with the blaster?

#2 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

Only if you're attacking with two weapons (page 210). If you're defending with the shield, you're cool. The penalty only comes into play if you're wanting the benefits.

-EF

• Col. Orange and LibrariaNPC like this

#3 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:45 PM

What EF said :)

That'd be a cool character concept though, bashing with a shield and then shooting pistols. Super cinematic.

#4 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

You could do it anyway, the dual wielding rules allow for it.  It's two different skills (melee and ranged) so the base difficulty is increased by 2, and the shield might be an "improvised weapon" of small or medium size (depending on shield size) with whatever penalty that applies (AFB at the moment).

#5 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:32 AM

You could do it anyway, the dual wielding rules allow for it.  It's two different skills (melee and ranged) so the base difficulty is increased by 2, and the shield might be an "improvised weapon" of small or medium size (depending on shield size) with whatever penalty that applies (AFB at the moment).

The shield wouldn't be an improvised weapon.  It's listed in Far Horizons as a weapon, rather than as armor.

• Aservan likes this

There is no signature here.

#6 Jegergryte

Jegergryte

• Members
  • 1,835 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:43 AM

Then you only need to follow the two weapon fighting rules if attacking with both. Pick highest difficulty, lowest skill and increase difficulty by two (2).

Make sure your brain is engaged, before putting your mouth into gear.

"What about the future...? We can only hope, we cannot however account for the minutiae of the quanta, as all accidents in an infinite space are inevitable."

GMLovlie's/Jegergryte's Cubicle direct link to supplements here.

#7 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:58 AM

captian-america-stormtrooper.jpg

Captain Empire to the rescue.

RiotCloneTrooper-TCWs2BR2.png

Or a riot clone trooper.

• EldritchFire, derroehre, Jamwes and 1 other like this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#8 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:11 AM

The shield wouldn't be an improvised weapon.  It's listed in Far Horizons as a weapon, rather than as armor.

Odd, but that works. Don't have my copy yet...

#9 Simon Fix

Simon Fix

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

Odd, but that works. Don't have my copy yet...

Yeah, I thought it was an odd choice, too… but they gave it Defensive 2 and Deflection 2 to make it seem more armor-like, so that's okay.

There is no signature here.

#10 derroehre

derroehre

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:32 AM

I don't see a problem, but I haven't gotten my copy yet. so actually no idea.

If you just shoot with your pistol and cower behind your shield no problem. don't forget the encumberance total though - guessing shields don't weigh like paper.

Does the shield have cumbersome? aaaand what are the other stats for it? :ph34r:

ed: taking one hour to post comment makes one ask partly redundant questions

Edited by derroehre, 18 August 2014 - 11:32 AM.

#11 Garomo

Garomo

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

Actually it has encumbrance (*edit: i meant cumbersome) 3. While you may not be attacking with it, you are holding it in one hand as you shoot your pistol with the other hand. It may not be a two weapon setup, but it does feel like there should be some kind of restriction on the pistol while using a shield.

Edited by Garomo, 18 August 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#12 fatedtodie

fatedtodie

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 11:48 AM

I am confused, the fluff text of the shield says it can be used as a improvised weapon, not that it is a weapon before being "a shield". I think the exact words are improvised, somewhat awkward weapon. Hence the damage of +0.

I think "when using it as a weapon" dual weapon rules would apply. When using it just as a shield, like say a Roman Centurion would, it would not be counted in. So the Defensive/Deflection would be part of the "shield" and the Disorient is part of the weapon aspect. The cumbersome quality would affect any attack be it single or dual though.

Its encumbrance is actually 5, clarifying what Garomo typed.

Edited by fatedtodie, 18 August 2014 - 11:50 AM.

GM KnowledgeRhino

My group's adventure log through Edge of the Empire stories. http://rhinospeaks.wordpress.com/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS