Photo

Educate me on how the Y-Wing is awesome. Go!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Funkleton

Funkleton

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:03 PM

Y wings are like mayonnaise - they're a little lardy but they go with everything

The Judean People's Front: 4 X-Wings, 2 Y-Wings, 1 YT-1300, 3 A-Wings, 3 B-Wings, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95 Headhunters, 2 HWK 290s, 1 GR-75 Medium Transport, 1 CR-90 Corvette

The People's Front of Judea: 5 TIEs, 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Defenders, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 Lambda Class Shuttle, 1 Firespray 31

The Popular Front of Judea: 1 Firespray 31, 2  Y-wings, 4 Z-95 Headhunters, 2 HWK 290s

#22 Gadge

Gadge

• Members
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

I have always loved Y wings, my first fighter model as a kid was a Y wing and i loved the fact i was the only kid on my block with one (with an R5 in the mech slot)

Been out of stock at my local store forever so was lucky to get two S/h off a friend.

At first i was underwhelmed by the sculpt, they look a little underscaled/starved against an x wing and the factory paint was mediocre.

But... once i was past the superficial stuff i played them with the build suggested in my 'y wing casual build thread'

Essentially Dutch with ion cannon and R5 wingmanned by a ps2 Gold pilot - both Y wings had ion turret

The two x wings, Garven and a Rookie

My y wings were tanks that soaked up dmage, cruised the centre and 'fixed' the enemy aces

Military doctrine... FIND, FIX, DESTROY... they excelled.   They moved in controlled the board centre, slowed down anyone tricky and the X wings got in 'out of arc' at range 1 and killed off each TIE varient one by one (the bomber took a couple of turns).

I ended up losing both Y's but R5 kept dutch in til the final round and he would have lived if i had not have K turned him for a suicide run to speed up the end.

Both X wings were unscathed.

After a repaint they may become stock staples ships in my rebel build.

• Sarone and YwingAce like this

Old school 80s Sci fi fan.  Playing X-Wing and Rogue Trader (tabletop & RPG)

Rebel: Awing(5) Bwing(3) Xwing(4) Ywing(4) Ewing(3) YT1300(1)YT2400(1) CR90(1.5) GR75(1) HWK(2) Z95(4)

Imperial:TIE/Adv(2)TIE/ln(8) Tie/int(4) Royal Tie(3) Phantom(3) Defender(4) Lambda(1) VT49(1) TIE/Bomb (2)

Scum: Firespray31 (2)

#23 Duty Remains

Duty Remains

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

If you're willing to put a little more points into them I find an engine upgrade is a beautiful complement to the ion cannon.

Brings a gold squadron up to 27 points before droid or torps though... so I usually add an R5 and stop there.

Nasty little ship and surprising maneuverable thanks to the engine upgrade.

On a side note I think I may be addicted to Engine Upgrades... I have a tendency to at least try them on anything without a natural boost action.

• Sarone likes this

#24 Sir Osis of Liver

Sir Osis of Liver

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

I'm flirting with putting R2-D6 on Dutch, then sticking Predator on him. That plus the ICT could make things fun.
  • SteveSpikes, Mr Mummbles and YwingAce like this
Sir Osis of Liver
Rebel: X-wing x4, Y-wing x2, A-wing x3, (1 Aces) B-wing x3, HWK x2, YT-1300 x1, Z-95 x3, E-Wing x2, GR-75 x1, YT-2400 x1, GR-90 x1
Imperial: TIE l/n x6, Interceptor x4 (1 Aces), Advanced x1, Bomber x3, Lambda x1, Firespray x1, Defender x2, Phantom x2, VT-49 x1
Game board: Fat Dragon Games E-Z Battlefields: Starship Attack (FDG-0131)

#25 Prince of Darkness

Prince of Darkness

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:05 AM

It certainly is a more valuable ship now as its turret and ion cannon make it an effective counter to the Phantom.

#26 YwingAce

YwingAce

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:41 AM

ooh nice idea Sir Ossis

• Sir Osis of Liver likes this
Rebel Alliance: 2 X-wings, 1 Y-wing, 2 A-wing, 2 B-wing, 1 Hwk-290, 1 Yt-1300, 1 E-wing, 1 Yt-2400
Imperial Navy: 4 Tie Fighters, 3 Tie Interceptors, 1 Tie Advanced, 1 Tie Bomber, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 VT-49 Decimator
"Pretty, what do we blow up first?" - Wraith Squadron motto
GREEDO SHOT FIRST! *Ducks under cover*

#27 DFocke

DFocke

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

The problem I see with putting predator on Dutch is that you want Dutch to be target locking as often as possible to make use of his ability.  So Dutch should have re-roles from tl, making predator useless except for turns where Dutch gets no actions.  And I think 4 points is too steep for an insurance ability.

• Vorpal Sword likes this

#28 Sir Osis of Liver

Sir Osis of Liver

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

The problem I see with putting predator on Dutch is that you want Dutch to be target locking as often as possible to make use of his ability.  So Dutch should have re-roles from tl, making predator useless except for turns where Dutch gets no actions.  And I think 4 points is too steep for an insurance ability.

It's a bit pricey, but I'm still looking for other synergies that would tap into the TL ability. If only I could get FCS onto a Y. :D
Sir Osis of Liver
Rebel: X-wing x4, Y-wing x2, A-wing x3, (1 Aces) B-wing x3, HWK x2, YT-1300 x1, Z-95 x3, E-Wing x2, GR-75 x1, YT-2400 x1, GR-90 x1
Imperial: TIE l/n x6, Interceptor x4 (1 Aces), Advanced x1, Bomber x3, Lambda x1, Firespray x1, Defender x2, Phantom x2, VT-49 x1
Game board: Fat Dragon Games E-Z Battlefields: Starship Attack (FDG-0131)

#29 YwingAce

YwingAce

• Members
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:29 PM

Outmaneuver?

• X Wing Nut likes this
Rebel Alliance: 2 X-wings, 1 Y-wing, 2 A-wing, 2 B-wing, 1 Hwk-290, 1 Yt-1300, 1 E-wing, 1 Yt-2400
Imperial Navy: 4 Tie Fighters, 3 Tie Interceptors, 1 Tie Advanced, 1 Tie Bomber, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom, 1 VT-49 Decimator
"Pretty, what do we blow up first?" - Wraith Squadron motto
GREEDO SHOT FIRST! *Ducks under cover*

#30 Millennium Falsehood

Millennium Falsehood

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

Personally I love to fly three Y-wings and a HWK for funsies sometimes:

GSP+ICT x3

Jan Ors+ICT+Nien Nunb

It's a low damage output, high control squad which can sometimes do some pretty good damage at close range with Jan backing up one of the GSPs. Keep them in tight formation, and if the opportunity presents itself use Jan to boost one of the Y-wing's R1 attacks to four dice+focus and TL (if you had a TL before that round, of course).

It's probably not too competitive, but it is a lot of fun to play. :D

Rebel Alliance: 7 X-wings, 5 Y-wings, 4 A-wings, 1 YT-1300, 2 HWK-290s, 3 B-wings, 1 GR-75, 1 CR-90, 5 Z-95 Headhunters, 1 E-wing

Galactic Empire: 7 TIE Fighters, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 Firespray-31s, 1 Lambda class Shuttle, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 TIE Interceptors, 3 181st TIE interceptors, 3 Royal Guard Interceptors

"Main characters defeat a Star Trek villain? Give 'em a Star Wars celebration!"

#31 DFocke

DFocke

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Outmaneuver would be great on Dutch if it weren't for the need to have the target be in your forward arc.  One of the big strength of the y-wing is the ion turret, and not needing to get targets in arc.  I think that the best upgrade for Dutch is just the ion turret.  He buffs other ships, and helps with controlling your opponent's squad.  Adding R5-K6 can be helpful to get another target lock for another ship, but as it works less than half of the time it is more of a if you have the extra points just laying around kind of upgrade.

Of course all of this just my opinion, and what I have found works for me.  If you find a combination that is fun to play, and works for you, go for it.  Without the occasional crazy experimentation new builds and tactics would not come around.

#32 Caliber42

Caliber42

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

I did a round tonight....

Dutch (IC, R2 astro)

2x Gold (IC, R2 astro)

Rookie (R5-K6)

vs.

Turr Phennir (PTL)

3x Sabre Squadron (PTL)

I had a ton of fun, though I wouldn't take K6 again.

-Cal

End Result: Y-Wings = tons of fun.

#33 BaronFel

BaronFel

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

It certainly is a more valuable ship now as its turret and ion cannon make it an effective counter to the Phantom.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Can it also help work as a counter to the various Fat Falcons that are floating around? Maybe something like this? It has a lot of HP for Chewie to work through, as well as the Ion's to (potentially) lock him down. Phantom's are threatened by the ion turrets and Tarn helps add some beef to the attack.

Dutch - 31
+ Ion Cannon Turret
+ R7-T1

Gold Squadron - 23
+ Ion Cannon Turret

Gold Squad - 23
+ Ion Cannon Turret

Tarn Mison - 23

I'd also consider swapping out R7 to turn Tarn into Hobbie or Porkins. Thoughts?
"I am Captain Soontir Fel. I will teach you how to fly and how to survive. If you think you know better than me, all I can teach you to do is die." - Baron Soontir Fel

#34 X Wing Nut

X Wing Nut

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:02 PM

I don't know why but when ever I add a Y wing to my list it's the first ship my opponent wants to attack. Do most people see it as a risk?

My lists are based on optimisim and my strategy is luck. Green dice are the enemy but I'm always flying casual

and Yoda help me, Marzaums and I now have a You Tube channel

https://www.youtube..../FlyCasualxwing

#35 BaronFel

BaronFel

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

I don't know why but when ever I add a Y wing to my list it's the first ship my opponent wants to attack. Do most people see it as a risk?

Not at all. Frankly, I want that to happen. It's a tank with a lot of HP and weak lasers. Please light it up and leave my B/X/E-wings alone.
"I am Captain Soontir Fel. I will teach you how to fly and how to survive. If you think you know better than me, all I can teach you to do is die." - Baron Soontir Fel

#36 Marinealver

Marinealver

• Members
  • 1,355 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

Ion Cannon Turret, 2 Torpedoe slots, Astromech upgrade.

My favorite is R3-A2 with Ion Cannon and maybe a flecheete torpedo or 2. I can double stress at range 3 or if in firing arc and within range 2 I can ion then R3-A2 for the stress for the Ion stress combo.

I could also put R3-A2 on another ship and just put R2 astromech to give the Y-wing more maneuverability so they can stay behind and ion a ship.

You can always start another round if you lost the last one.

#37 Lordtwann

Lordtwann

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Yes they are on a Y-wing, no point in a Blaster Turret

While I agree, blaster turret on a y wing in a void is terrible, it can work in the right squad. I have a Garvin's, Lando, Dutch. build that uses the BT that's been quite effective. Garvin's moves, focus. Dutch moves, double TL. Lando moves, evade and gives Dutch a focus action. Garvin's attacks and passes the focus to Dutch who has a TL/focus blaster attack on whatever he wants. I admit it's probably not something I'd play in a tourney but it's been a lot of fun on the friendly level. Two for two wins.

#38 Lordtwann

Lordtwann

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

I was actually thinking Dutch might pair nicely with R7-T1.  Still gets to hand off a target lock to a friendly, and the free boost for being in an enemy weapons arc is a LOT easier to use on a turreted ship, as you can boost in pretty much any direction you want...you don't have to worry about keeping the enemy "in front of you" to shoot at them.

Theorycrafting, though - haven't tried it in practice.

I've tried it and it's glorious.
  • chilligan likes this

#39 chilligan

chilligan

• Members
  • 504 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

I'm flirting with putting R2-D6 on Dutch, then sticking Predator on him. That plus the ICT could make things fun.

What about Veteran Instincts on Horton for a 32-point Phantom killer?

Besides, why would you put Predator on a ship that you want to target lock with? (maybe you were also referring to Horton?)

#40 Duty Remains

Duty Remains

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:46 PM

What about Veteran Instincts on Horton for a 32-point Phantom killer?

PS 10 turret is wonderful against arc dodgers and cloakers, has made me consider Vader + VI and Whisper + Decoy + Adv. Cloak for my imp squads...

Edited by Duty Remains, 31 August 2014 - 07:47 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS