Photo

Educate me on how the Y-Wing is awesome. Go!

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

I just recently picked up a Y-Wing, and was underwhelmed, and I am sure it's because I am not using it right.  Give me your thoughts on the Y-Wing, especially it's strengths and synergy with other ships.

As always, thanks for your insight to the game.  This is a great forum, and I appreciate the time you spend answering my posts.

O

#2 Glentopher

Glentopher

Huge Member

• Members
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

Have a read through here.

• Dagonet likes this
Scum: 1 Firespray, 1 HWK, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 Z-95's

#3 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

(1) Never run without a turret. (Here, "Turret" means "Ion Cannon Turret".)
(2) Control your approach; keep your moves slow and steady, and plan at least a round ahead.
(3) After the initial merge--and potentially even before--try not to point your firing arc at your target(s). This makes it much harder for your opponent to focus fire.
(4) Remember that you're never going to pick up a knockout in the early rounds; you're playing rope-a-dope, and your eye is on the endgame.
  • SteveSpikes, Millennium Falsehood, mrkyle and 6 others like this

#4 cody campbell

cody campbell

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:33 AM

The two named pilots can provide some interesting strategies. Especially if you get the transport xwing droid that gives you EPT. For example, Horton can get 5 dice @ range 3 with opportunist and torps (pricey tho!)

#5 MacrossVF1

MacrossVF1

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

The Y-wing is not the best ship around, but is almost always a solid and dependable choice thath can take fair amount of damage before it goes down. IMHO it works best with an ion cannon, taking care of flankers without having to turn to meet them and being an all round disruptive force. Dutch Vander in particular is a very soild choice as his special ability is a good buff for friendly pilots. He and X-wing pilot Garven Dreiss work very well together, passing focus and target locks between each other.
  • Sel Antilles likes this

The Alternative Wargamer: http://alternativewa...er.blogspot.se/

Repaints and scratchbuilds: http://alternativewa...ar Wars: X-wing

#6 YwingAce

YwingAce

• Members
  • 978 posts

Ywings are all things good.

1. Fly with Ion Cannon Turret

2. Dutch Vander Synergizes with Garven Dreis and other token passers

3. Gold Squadron Pilots are amazing

4. Gray Squadron Pilots aren't really that great

5. Horton Salm is good, but there aren't many uses for him (I am working on a way to get him synergizing with anti swarm/phantom tactics)

They don't do damage, they control the board.

• Millennium Falsehood and X Wing Nut like this

Rebel Alliance: 2 X-wings, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 Hwk-290, 1 Yt-1300, 1 E-wing

Imperial Navy: 4 Tie Fighters, 3 Tie Interceptors, 1 Tie Advanced, 1 Tie Bomber, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

"Pretty, what do we blow up first?" - Wraith Squadron motto

GREEDO SHOT FIRST! *Ducks under cover*

#7 Sanchez

Sanchez

• Members
  • 341 posts

"Dutch" Vander (23)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
R5-K6 (2)

Total: 30

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Add 70 points and enjoy the show.

#8 Joker Two

Joker Two

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

I've had plenty of success with turreted Y-Wings, but don't discount their torpedo slots either.  It's nearly impossible to kill them before they can fire, so the point investment is protected, and both unique pilots have abilities with strong synergy.

"Dutch" Vander (in any configuration) makes a solid wingman for the other PS6 Rebel pilots (especially Dreis and Katarn).  And I highly recommend taking Salm with two Proton Torpedoes in an elite Rebel squadron at least once.  The combination of his high Pilot Skill and ability makes for an absolutely deadly one-two punch.

#9 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:51 AM

Flying your opponent of the board is the funniest thing in this game. That's enough for me.
  • Sir Osis of Liver likes this

#10 Sanchez

Sanchez

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:56 AM

Flying your opponent of the board is the funniest thing in this game. That's enough for me.

Dude, I got within an inch of doing that to a Defender the first time my friend used one. My whole gameplan was to take his shiny new ship out of the fight and it almost worked.
  • Knucklesamwich and LavaDragon0308 like this

#11 Kahadras

Kahadras

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:58 AM

My regular build is Dutch with the almost mandatory Ion cannon turret upgrade. I've found him to be a great support ship. He sets up good shots for his wingman with his Ion cannon and hands off a target lock making it easier his wingman to land a solid hit. The Y-wing can also take a hit or two so he can hang on in there longer than an X-wing. 

#12 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:01 AM

I never fly them without turrets, but I don't fly them a lot because I usually fly imperial, but I have a friend who likes to throw in a I upgraded y wing all the time. They provide a nice distraction (that can take a lot of hits). Who are you going to shoot at the e wing with sensor jammer/stealth device or the y wing. It's dial isn't great, but there are worse ones out there and a cheap ship with only 2 attack dice isn't too bad.

That being said ion turrets are awesome. They are just not the only way to go.
Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#13 YwingAce

YwingAce

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Yes they are on a Y-wing, no point in a Blaster Turret

• Sarone likes this

Rebel Alliance: 2 X-wings, 1 Y-wing, 1 A-wing, 1 B-wing, 1 Hwk-290, 1 Yt-1300, 1 E-wing

Imperial Navy: 4 Tie Fighters, 3 Tie Interceptors, 1 Tie Advanced, 1 Tie Bomber, 1 Lambda, 1 Firespray-31, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

"Pretty, what do we blow up first?" - Wraith Squadron motto

GREEDO SHOT FIRST! *Ducks under cover*

#14 Skargoth

Skargoth

• Members
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

Y-wing with ion cannon turret juking through asteroid fields is a sight to behold.

Biggs may walk the Daggs, but the yellow dump trucks walk everything... off the board.

• Millennium Falsehood, YwingAce and Sel Antilles like this

You don't need to strip your miniatures, painting over is fine. No, there should not be a fourth faction, three is the magic number for countering flavor lists and to break up faction distribution. Someone else has likely thought up and posted your amazing new build, so you don't need to stroke your ego when reposting it. The prequels sucked and so would a game based on it. YES, there should be a Custom Forum for terrain and repaints! Moving on...

#15 Sanchez

Sanchez

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

Dutch, Wes, and Wedge are my favorite go-to build.

#16 MajorJuggler

MajorJuggler

MathWinger

• Members
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

(1) Never run without a turret. (Here, "Turret" means "Ion Cannon Turret".)
(2) Control your approach; keep your moves slow and steady, and plan at least a round ahead.
(3) After the initial merge--and potentially even before--try not to point your firing arc at your target(s). This makes it much harder for your opponent to focus fire.
(4) Remember that you're never going to pick up a knockout in the early rounds; you're playing rope-a-dope, and your eye is on the endgame.

Yup to all of the above here! The Y-wing is really only effective with a turret, and the Ion Cannon turret is the only viable turret right now. Hopefully in time a 3rd turret will be released. The trick is then figuring out how to tactically maximize the turret.

#17 bgFish

bgFish

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

I had an untouched Soontir Fel with a stealth device and a focus token ionized while facing the wrong way just because the barrel roll wasn't enough to get out of range 2. The corner of my base ended up slightly off the board the following turn. I've had a healthy respect for Y-Wings with ion cannons since then.

Before Z-95s, I also used them as part of a Rebel swarm without any upgrades. They were great because they had so many hit points to chew through although they took a lot more work to fly effectively.

#18 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

I wouldn't say that the Y-wing is ONLY effective with a turret. I've seen it run (especially Dutch, with his fairly easy to use Pilot ability) naked before with some success.

I don't think it's a consistently competitive option, but it's not suicide like running a HWK without a turret. You can probably find some decent builds that utilize Y-wings without Ion Cannon Turrets.

Be seeing you.

#19 Droofus

Droofus

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:13 PM

Y-Wing Pros:

• It looks awesome and is an iconic ship from the movies.
  • It's a relatively cheap way of getting an ion turret.
  • It's tough, nearly shuttle level tough.
  • It's dial, while not that great, still has K-Turns and hard turns that aren't red.  And if you're rocking a turret, who needs an awesome dial?
  • It can take astromechs - this is huge because there are now such a wealth of astromechs out there which can help a ship in any number of ways.

• Sarone, MooseMCA, Millennium Falsehood and 2 others like this

Ships.   Rebel:  

Spoiler
Imperial:  
Spoiler

#20 xanderf

xanderf

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:22 PM

I was actually thinking Dutch might pair nicely with R7-T1.  Still gets to hand off a target lock to a friendly, and the free boost for being in an enemy weapons arc is a LOT easier to use on a turreted ship, as you can boost in pretty much any direction you want...you don't have to worry about keeping the enemy "in front of you" to shoot at them.

Theorycrafting, though - haven't tried it in practice.

• chilligan and LavaDragon0308 like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS