Photo

My not-awake brain has a stupid noobie question for you. . . .

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

I was playing around with assorted character builds, contemplating the Unmatched Expertise when something occurred to me that sounded off.

Okay, here's the blindingly stupid question: what counts as a career skill. Say, hypothetically, I'm building a Politico. The Colonist career skills are, of course, Charm, Deception, Core Worlds, Education, Lore, Leadership, Negotiation and streetwise with the Politico bonus skills adding Coercion on top of a couple of duplicates.

I got that, that bits easy.

Now, I go an buy the Smuggler: thief specialization for her. You don't get the base career skills (the coordination, Underworld, Perception, Space and Skullduggery), but the Bonus Career skills of computers, Skullduggery, stealth and vigilance now count as career skills too, right?

Logically, I'd think yes - but my brain isn't processing correctly this morning (need. . . more. . . coffee . . . STAT!) and I wanted to be sure before making a fool of myself in real life (by making a fool anonymously on the internet first! :) )

#2 Kavadh

Kavadh

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

Yes, the new Thief skills now count as career skills too.

• awayputurwpn and Jamwes like this

#3 progressions

progressions

• Members
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

Yep, any skill that doesn't cost the extra 5xp when you purchase a rank in it is a "Career skill", whether it came from your Career, your first Specialization, or any additional Specializations.

EOTE Styles and Dice Symbols for Obsidian Portal

Our group's EOTE Obsidian Portal: Explorers on the Edge

#4 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:21 AM

Eventually you can have them all...Renaissance Man...

• Jamwes likes this

#5 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

So yes, eventually you can make all checks with your Heavy Ranged into Simple checks... not sure how useful that would be...

#6 SavagePanda

SavagePanda

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Although your brain is working at minimum capacity due to caffeine deficiency, the fail safes have kicked in and you have it correct. 

• Desslok likes this

PLEASE . . . Don't anger the Wookie.

my groups Obsidianportal campaign https://Shadows-On-t...idianportal.com

#7 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:57 AM

So yes, eventually you can make all checks with your Heavy Ranged into Simple checks... not sure how useful that would be...

There is no such mechanic...what are you referring to?

#8 EldritchFire

EldritchFire

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:24 PM

Unmatched Expertise, the new signature ability from the new book. Quoted from another thread:

"Once per game session as an action, the character may spend 2 Destiny Points to reduce the difficulty of all career skill checks he makes by one, to a minimum of Easy for the remainder of the encounter."

There's an upgrade "Superior Reduction", "Once per session while Unmatched Expertise is active, may reduce the difficulty of one non-career skill"

I think Progressions is right, I just wasn't clear if new specializations became official "career skills". Kinda crazy that you can drop the diff of ranged Heavy or even Lightsaber attacks. Other upgrades, allow you to drop the diff by 2, and allow u to make it as low as Simple difficulty. I guess not too much more powerful then some of the other Sig abililites and Colonists needed some lovin, any other thoughts on any of this?

-EF

#9 Alderaan Crumbs

Alderaan Crumbs

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

So once per session...for an encounter...you could make super-attacks with your Sidewinder laser-gatling gun? That does seem pretty OP but by the time you're at that level of skill I'd think you're either A) a hyper-focused build, which can leave you lacking in other areas or B) spread out and just THAT bad-ass! I need to read this book...!

#10 whafrog

whafrog

• Members
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:43 PM

Unmatched Expertise, the new signature ability from the new book. Quoted from another thread:

Ah...but that's not "all checks", it's once per session.

#11 R2builder

R2builder

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:20 PM

Dude, we have been over this before. I find your lack of caffeine disturbing. Time for a coffee enema!!

Please check out our group and leave comments at: https://edge-of-the-...dianportal.com/

#12 Alderaan Crumbs

Alderaan Crumbs

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:32 PM

Dude, we have been over this before. I find your lack of caffeine disturbing. Time for a coffee enema!!

Is his thermal exhaust port at least two meters wide? ;)
  • derroehre and kaosoe like this

#13 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

Is his thermal exhaust port at least two meters wide? ;)

It might be when their down stuffing the coffeebot up there...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS