Photo

Force & Destiny: What does this inspire you to do?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 Dex Vulen

Dex Vulen

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

I am really looking forward to grabbing Guardian: Protector.  Will round out what Gand has been doing nicely and no need for a glow stick.

Gand has grown to be a protector of sorts for the people of the GM made planet he calls home.  As we move into AoR, I will approach our GM and ask about adding F&D for those of us that are interested.  Time will tell, but we may have to wait for the F&D CRB before we do that.  Considering we both dislike using betas.

Proud Member of the Gand Anti-Defamation League.

#42 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:29 AM

Actually, toying with coming up with a mixed EotE/AoR/F&D crew of characters that are starting out at Knight-level of play.  Not sure of the party make-up at this point will be.  They'll probably never see play, but it'd be a fun intellectual exercise.

• kaosoe and TedMaul like this

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#43 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:56 AM

Actually, toying with coming up with a mixed EotE/AoR/F&D crew of characters that are starting out at Knight-level of play.  Not sure of the party make-up at this point will be.  They'll probably never see play, but it'd be a fun intellectual exercise.

I hope to see something similar at my table. Since it's the main reason I'm buying into this whole 3 "standalone" games thing I sure as hell hope it happens at any rate :) Otherwise when this thing is over I'm gonna have about 30 lonely books on the shelf.

#44 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:14 AM

I have a very eclectic group of players. Many of whom have no interest in Jedi (weirdos), Which is why I want to run a game in the Legacy era. Plenty of each facet for everyone. Now I just need to come up with a good epic story that will last me a few years.

Edited by kaosoe, 19 August 2014 - 09:27 AM.

• GMmL likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#45 copperbell

copperbell

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Out of curiosity can you pull off a Swordmaster style edge character by using the Force & Destiny Beta Career as their primary career?

I'm thinking someone ordinarily armed with say a vibrosword who eventually hunts down a couple of training sabers and remotes to train properly but doesn't come clean about their true career until some important point so it could easily be laughed off as simply she's been training that long and hard that she's naturally that good but doesn't necessarily mean she's a force user.

Have to say I can't wait to see this released so I can pick up a copy!

Even wondering if its worth picking up a couple of spares for some friends of mine one of whom tends towards jedi characters even if he's more inclined to the dark side... :P

#46 kaosoe

kaosoe

Not the GM my players need, but the one they deserve.

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:28 AM

Out of curiosity can you pull off a Swordmaster style edge character by using the Force & Destiny Beta Career as their primary career?

I'm thinking someone ordinarily armed with say a vibrosword who eventually hunts down a couple of training sabers and remotes to train properly but doesn't come clean about their true career until some important point so it could easily be laughed off as simply she's been training that long and hard that she's naturally that good but doesn't necessarily mean she's a force user.

Have to say I can't wait to see this released so I can pick up a copy!

Even wondering if its worth picking up a couple of spares for some friends of mine one of whom tends towards jedi characters even if he's more inclined to the dark side... :P

There is a sword in the equipment section that uses the Lightsaber skill. So you can effectively use a sword with any of the lightsaber specialzations. Combine that with the Makashi Duelist and you have a pretty neat basis for a Swashbuckler.

Edited by kaosoe, 19 August 2014 - 09:28 AM.

• awayputurwpn likes this

Scavenger - On the d20Radio forums.

Pronounced: Kay - Oh - So

#47 TorogTarkdacil812

TorogTarkdacil812

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

Play game during the events of The Old Republic. Be Sith Inquisitor. Have fun.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=DpeeVqkXiOc

There is nothing as good as seeing rebel scum running out of a cave full of gas, right into the blasters of your battalion-–well, except sunrises, but for those you have to get up early.

#48 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:38 PM

Warrior/Aggressor, though you may want to tack on Marauder for even more close-combat badassery.  As Kaosae noted, there's a couple sword options in the book, and you can certainly make use of the vibro-greatsword that's offered in Dangerous Covenants to go Kurgan on your enemies' sorry butts.

#49 hilstad

hilstad

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:23 PM

Well some of you have bought the book, others are waiting on their copy whilst the rest wait with baited breath for it to be released so we can all discover what the latest Beta reveals!

*bated breath

Bated means held or stopped by effort.

#50 Amanal

Amanal

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:16 AM

I won't say F&D sparked my interest in this, rather Rebels did. But having a "jedi" and a padawan in my campaign looks like fun.

#51 copperbell

copperbell

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:49 AM

Keep picturing a woman dressed up like the Smuggler in the KOTOR cinematic trailer where the Sith retake Korriban or should I call it Morriban now? :P

Long trenchcoat with a scabbard across the back for the vibrosword, a single gun holster with a pair of training saber holsters, might be worth it in the long run but for now maybe I ought to focus on character creation once I can get hold of that book! ;)

• kaosoe likes this

#52 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:15 AM

Well some of you have bought the book, others are waiting on their copy whilst the rest wait with baited breath for it to be released so we can all discover what the latest Beta reveals!

*bated breath

Bated means held or stopped by effort.
Really? Good thing you're here. I thought he was referring to his breath smelling like worms.
  • Icosiel likes this

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

#53 bradknowles

bradknowles

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:29 PM

From what's been said in the other thread has made me set this thread up so we can discuss what we'd like to play, what adventure ideas has been inspired even if you're relying on whats been said only!

We have existing EotE characters that it looks like we’re going to be converting to F&D. I’ve got a Wookiee Marauder that I’m thinking would go the route of Niman Disciple — going any of the Warrior specializations would be too "dangerous" at the start because they cut too close to the dark side, and he’s already a combat monster in those areas.

But he would definitely continue to swing his pair of heavily modified vibro-axes most of the time, instead of his lightsaber. And he’d initially pick up force powers like Sense, Seek, and Enhance, none of which are necessarily that obvious as to what he’s doing when he uses them.

Unless stated otherwise, these are just my personal opinions about how I feel things should work.  Even if I quote chapter and verse of a particular rulebook, only the part that's quoted is likely to actually be official.  Each GM will have to decide for themselves what rules they will use and which ones they won't, and how they will interpret the rules they do use.  That is their right -- and their responsibility.

"A FFG Star Wars Index" by Aahzmandius_Karrde: <http://community.fan...ar-wars-index/> | Github project at <https://github.com/k...rde/ffg_swrpg/>

"Dice Probability Generator" by Litheon: http://community.fan...lity-generator/

#54 Chortles

Chortles

• Members
  • 805 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 10:21 PM

I'm basically using the Inquisitor rules to stat the Jedi and Sith who are hunting Luke and the PCs.

This is a defining thing about your campaign.  :lol: I'm reminded of this, although it was wildly different in being a secret 'rogue' faction instead of the dominant faction in public leadership...

Well, according to George Lucas, the Empire is intended to be bad guys and the Sith to be objectively evil.

Fans proceeded to immediately disregard his bull and have fun with the Empire and make believable characters left and right, and come up with sensible rationalizations east, west, north and south.

#55 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

• Members
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:57 AM

From what's been said in the other thread has made me set this thread up so we can discuss what we'd like to play, what adventure ideas has been inspired even if you're relying on whats been said only!

We have existing EotE characters that it looks like we’re going to be converting to F&D. I’ve got a Wookiee Marauder that I’m thinking would go the route of Niman Disciple — going any of the Warrior specializations would be too "dangerous" at the start because they cut too close to the dark side, and he’s already a combat monster in those areas.

But he would definitely continue to swing his pair of heavily modified vibro-axes most of the time, instead of his lightsaber. And he’d initially pick up force powers like Sense, Seek, and Enhance, none of which are necessarily that obvious as to what he’s doing when he uses them.

Actually, he might be better off going with Shii-Cho Knight if he wants to be a melee combatant, since almost all of the talents there work with any melee weapon, and not just lightsabers.

As far as the Warrior career being "too dangerous" and "too close to the dark side," sorry but that's a load of bull.  The Warrior career is no more prone to being "dark side" than any other career in any of the three books.  Yes, they operate around violence, but that doesn't mean you're required to go the Cobra-Kai route of "strike first, strike hard!"  The Aggressor is the only one that treads the line, but unless you're trying to be a Light Side Paragon, you'd have to go out of your way to fall to the dark side (which only happens if you dip below 30 Morality), but Shii-Cho Knight and Starfighter Ace aren't any more inherently prone to becoming dark siders than a Niman Disciple or Peacekeeper are.

#56 bradknowles

bradknowles

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

Actually, he might be better off going with Shii-Cho Knight if he wants to be a melee combatant, since almost all of the talents there work with any melee weapon, and not just lightsabers.

Same is true for the weapon-related talents in Niman Disciple. That’s one of the reasons why I chose it.

As far as the Warrior career being "too dangerous" and "too close to the dark side," sorry but that's a load of bull.  The Warrior career is no more prone to being "dark side" than any other career in any of the three books.  Yes, they operate around violence, but that doesn't mean you're required to go the Cobra-Kai route of "strike first, strike hard!"  The Aggressor is the only one that treads the line, but unless you're trying to be a Light Side Paragon, you'd have to go out of your way to fall to the dark side (which only happens if you dip below 30 Morality), but Shii-Cho Knight and Starfighter Ace aren't any more inherently prone to becoming dark siders than a Niman Disciple or Peacekeeper are.

Aggressor is primarily the one I was thinking of, yes. That would definitely be added later, after going through a few other specializations.

Unless stated otherwise, these are just my personal opinions about how I feel things should work.  Even if I quote chapter and verse of a particular rulebook, only the part that's quoted is likely to actually be official.  Each GM will have to decide for themselves what rules they will use and which ones they won't, and how they will interpret the rules they do use.  That is their right -- and their responsibility.

"A FFG Star Wars Index" by Aahzmandius_Karrde: <http://community.fan...ar-wars-index/> | Github project at <https://github.com/k...rde/ffg_swrpg/>

"Dice Probability Generator" by Litheon: http://community.fan...lity-generator/

#57 mouthymerc

mouthymerc

Not the member you are looking for!

• Members
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

Another idea I had was a riff on the story of Jek-14. Good for a solo or group campaign. You can be a Sith clone or group of them escaped from Kamino and running around during the Dark Times. Or perhaps you are a group put into carbonite before the end of the war and then released during the Rebellion Era.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS