Photo

Was there any news from Gen Con about the Star Wars LCG?!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mesrob

Mesrob

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:36 PM

Was there any news about the Star Wars LCG at Gen Con today?  How is it doing, the future of the game, etc.  It would be hard to believe that they did not reveal anything about the health of the game, or any special new releases.  Can someone who is at Gen Con let us know.  Thanks so much.

#2 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

I would also like to know if there was any announcements.

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Nope.

#4 skull lleader 86

skull lleader 86

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:18 PM

Everyone but SWLCG and AGOTlcg got announcements today

Portland regional 2014 Winner
Nationals 2014 - 31st Place

#5 Voxslain

Voxslain

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 10:04 PM

But I just started playing.  They can't kill it yet!

#6 skull lleader 86

skull lleader 86

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:05 AM

As much as we all would have loved big news there just wasn't any 

x wing got a new faction

netrunner discussed a deluxe expansion

news would have been nice but its not like the game is far behind others

Portland regional 2014 Winner
Nationals 2014 - 31st Place

#7 The Gas

The Gas

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:28 AM

We already know about the next Deluxe and the next Force Pack cycle, what more did you want?

• Kcall07, GroggyGolem and RyanGomez86 like this

#8 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:54 AM

But I just started playing.  They can't kill it yet!

Slight jump in logic there. Everything for the next 7 months is already announced.
  • Voxslain likes this

#9 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Yeah, I suspect we didn't get any announcements because we just had our big announcements (next deluxe expansion, next force cycle) in the last month or two. I'm personally happy that FFG went ahead and posted those announcements when they did instead of waiting for GenCon.
  • GroggyGolem likes this

#10 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:48 AM

Yeah, I suspect we didn't get any announcements because we just had our big announcements (next deluxe expansion, next force cycle) in the last month or two. I'm personally happy that FFG went ahead and posted those announcements when they did instead of waiting for GenCon.

Might have been cool, though. As they say, "good things come to those who wait."

I'd say the kicker is this here, though:

Everyone but SWLCG and AGOTlcg got announcements today

If all we can base this dead game theory on is that SW is being treated the same at Gen Con as AGoT, their original LCG and still one of their strongest properties, it's just too conjectural. I love this game as much as everyone here, and so I can understand the impetus behind making a leap of logic like this. But let's let the bantha cook before we eat it.

Edited by MarthWMaster, 17 August 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#11 Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:41 AM

I was starting to get worried about the apparent waning interest in the Star Wars LCG. But when they finally announced the next deluxe expansion, I breathed a sigh of relief.

Star Wars got plenty of love at Gencon with the announcements for X-Wing and Imperial Assault as well as the demos for Empire vs. Rebellion (I wasn't impressed by "Star Wars blackjack") and Armada, so I wasn't surprised that the LCG didn't get any announcements. However, there were only about 20 people who showed up for the Star Wars LCG Nationals tournament, so that has me a little worried.

I've been trying really hard lately to get a group going at a local game store. It's been very difficult to find new players. Existing players have been very busy all summer and only two new people have shown the slightest interest. And even they are usually busy. We have a tournament today. I just hope that more than 3 people show up this time, instead of like the last three times we've done a Star Wars LCG tournament there.

X-Wing:

Spoiler
Netrunner:
Spoiler
Star Wars LCG:
Spoiler

#12 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

However, there were only about 20 people who showed up for the Star Wars LCG Nationals tournament, so that has me a little worried.

I have no idea where you heard that but US nationals had 90+ players.

Edited by Toqtamish, 30 August 2014 - 09:02 AM.

• GroggyGolem likes this

#13 Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

However, there were only about 20 people who showed up for the Star Wars LCG Nationals tournament, so that has me a little worried.

Sorry. I meant to say that there were 20 players on Friday, the day that I was there.

X-Wing:

Spoiler
Netrunner:
Spoiler
Star Wars LCG:
Spoiler

#14 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

Sorry. I meant to say that there were 20 players on Friday, the day that I was there.

16. The top 16 finalists from the Thursday Swiss rounds.

#15 Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:10 PM

Neither here nor there. My point is that I am actively working to introduce more people to the game because I don't want to see it discontinued anytime soon.

X-Wing:

Spoiler
Netrunner:
Spoiler
Star Wars LCG:
Spoiler

#16 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:30 PM

Neither here nor there. My point is that I am actively working to introduce more people to the game because I don't want to see it discontinued anytime soon.

It is here or there. You were concerned by there being "only 20 people" at the event and seem to think that implies some sort of issue where game is in danger of being discontinued, which it is not. I provided the facts of the event to fix misperception.

#17 Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

It is here or there. You were concerned by there being "only 20 people" at the event and seem to think that implies some sort of issue where game is in danger of being discontinued, which it is not. I provided the facts of the event to fix misperception.

Really? Are we really gonna do this?

Yes, the game is still alive for now. I am aware of that. I just want to keep it that way. Can't we all just agree on that and move on?

X-Wing:

Spoiler
Netrunner:
Spoiler
Star Wars LCG:
Spoiler

#18 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:58 PM

Really? Are we really gonna do this?

Yes, the game is still alive for now. I am aware of that. I just want to keep it that way. Can't we all just agree on that and move on?

Don't see the need to be upset about this. You thought one thing, Toqtamish informed you that it was incorrect and that's that. Anyway, good on you for wanting to improve your local playerbase. What will you be doing to bring in new ones? Demoing the game at your LGS?

#19 Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

Wh0isTh3D0ct0r

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

I am open to suggestions.

So far, I have tried to gather together those who do play the game so that others can see it in action. But schedules can be extremely frustrating. The good news is that, within the past week, I've taught the game to two new players. I know that one of them is very interested in playing regularly; I'm not sure about the other one, because he is usually too busy playing X-Wing.

We had our biggest turnout for a Star Wars LCG tournament today (well, technically yesterday.) However, there were still only 5 players. The tournament winner was someone whom I taught how to play the Star Wars LCG about a year ago.

Even though there was a low turnout, I take consolation in the fact that the simultaneous Netrunner tournament only had 6 players (although that was probably just due to the Labor Day weekend. Netrunner tournaments there usually have anywhere from 10-20 players.) I would like to have played Netrunner, but right now, I'd rather focus on traction for the Star Wars LCG.

• GroggyGolem likes this

X-Wing:

Spoiler
Netrunner:
Spoiler
Star Wars LCG:
Spoiler

#20 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

Hmm. Well, I can't suggest anything from personal experience. I have yet to try and add to the community for Star Wars in my area as I am currently jobless and a 40 minute drive from the LGS that already has something going on every day they are open, every week.

However, if I were currently working I would build some beginner decks, similar to what has been talked about on the CardGameDB forum thread about beginner decks and spend some time demoing at that shop. I would post about it on their site that I would be demoing on Monday (their open game night) and show up as many times as I can.

I would make a FB page for the group I'm trying to create as well, invite interested ones to join it.

If there is enough interest, I'd try running a few small beginner tournaments for the game.

If enough people start showing up regularly, I'd try to see if there can be time put into their schedule for the group to play.

Well that's what I would do anyway. Any of that sound similar to what you were planning to do?

Edited by GroggyGolem, 30 August 2014 - 11:53 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS