tumblr_inline_mr6in7jjHX1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_mkbpkaN37G1s5elw3o1_400.gif

• gribble, Josep Maria, derroehre and 5 others like this

#2 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:29 AM

I would agree regardless of what precisely gets announced, their relationship with the Mouse seems solid and growing.  That's a good sign the RPG awesomeness is going to continue to flow.

• Lotr_Nerd, Josep Maria, Desslok and 8 others like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#3 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:59 PM

I just want it to grow to where the books can be pdf's so I can actually read them. I figure that's a fair middle ground seeing as I'd REALLY like a Braille edition.
  • Jshock, Col. Orange, Josep Maria and 4 others like this

- Haley

#4 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:24 PM

I just want it to grow to where the books can be pdf's so I can actually read them. I figure that's a fair middle ground seeing as I'd REALLY like a Braille edition.

Wait - braille as you cant see the gifs? I always thought it was because you were reading from your phone. Well, color me embarrassed! I had no idea - geeze, I'm sorry.

(But then it's so easy to imagine everyone on the other side of the screen as male, white, american and over 40. :) )

Anyway, the first pic was someone thumbing through a wad of 50 dollar bills, the second was Jane Jetson grabbing George's wallet from the opening credits of The Jetsons and the third was Scrooge McDuck diving into his money bin.

Basically it was "All your wallets are belong to us".

#5 swheelock

swheelock

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:46 AM

I just want it to grow to where the books can be pdf's so I can actually read them.

Would that be through text-to-speech?

#6 Lareg

Lareg

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:05 AM

I guess she's using text to speach yes. I have no idea if Haley can ask ffg for pdf versions of the books due to her disability, but i suspect she would have done it already.

#7 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:53 AM

Wait - braille as you cant see the gifs? I always thought it was because you were reading from your phone. Well, color me embarrassed! I had no idea - geeze, I'm sorry.

(But then it's so easy to imagine everyone on the other side of the screen as male, white, american and over 40. :) )

Anyway, the first pic was someone thumbing through a wad of 50 dollar bills, the second was Jane Jetson grabbing George's wallet from the opening credits of The Jetsons and the third was Scrooge McDuck diving into his money bin.

Basically it was "All your wallets are belong to us".

Please don't be sorry. I'm not looking for anyone to change their normal habits... unless that involves moving the furniture in my house around without telling me. And no worries about the gifs. I generally get their context from the replies or I can ask someone here to explain them to me. Just keep being you!

I think I'm hindered by my age than my blindness, anyway. I had to google to find out who the Jetsons are... :P

• Himsett, awayputurwpn, gribble and 7 others like this

- Haley

#8 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

I just want it to grow to where the books can be pdf's so I can actually read them.

Would that be through text-to-speech?

I use text-to-speech for novels. I prefer a braille interface for reference materials like the EotE rulebook, dictionary, thesaurus, school textbooks, etc. Trying to use a reference book with text-to-speech is a chore. I can do it but it's annoying.

A Braille version of a reference book works best but poses its own problems. Braille books are much larger than standard printed versions so I am guessing that a Braille EotE rulebook would be TREMENDOUS!

Edited by PrettyHaley, 16 August 2014 - 08:32 AM.

- Haley

#9 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:18 AM

I think I'm hindered by my age than my blindness, anyway. I had to google to find out who the Jetsons are... :P

Oh dear - now you've done it. You've made me feel old!

Well you see, the Jetsons are really just a space age version of the Flintstones, which in itself is really just an animated version of The Honeymooners.

(And yes, now I'm just winding her up. :) )

• I. J. Thompson likes this

#10 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:21 AM

I guess she's using text to speach yes. I have no idea if Haley can ask ffg for pdf versions of the books due to her disability, but i suspect she would have done it already.

I haven't asked. I know ffg is limited by their contract. I've also learned never to ask for special treatment.

A good way to explain where I put the line to say where I'd be asking for special treatment actually comes up right in this thread. Asking someone to explain a gif to me isn't special. Asking someone not to use gifs would be!

With the rulebook, asking ffg to produce pdf's is not special. Asking them to give me one despite not producing them in general is.

- Haley

#11 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

Oh dear - now you've done it. You've made me feel old!

Well you see, the Jetsons are really just a space age version of the Flintstones, which in itself is really just an animated version of The Honeymooners.

(And yes, now I'm just winding her up. :) )

*shakes fist*

MISSION SUCCESSFUL!!!!

• Desslok, LibrariaNPC and Lareg like this

- Haley

#12 Orius

Orius

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:48 PM

haley,

is their a company that will translate books to braille for you? i do not know about others but helping someone enjoy an rpg game they like is right up my alley.

I would chip in the money in a heart beat to get you a book made!

• kaosoe likes this

#13 Alderaan Crumbs

Alderaan Crumbs

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

haley,

is their a company that will translate books to braille for you? i do not know about others but helping someone enjoy an rpg game they like is right up my alley.

I would chip in the money in a heart beat to get you a book made!

Count me in!

#14 PrettyHaley

PrettyHaley

• Members
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

Sorry to Desslok for treadjacking. :P

Yes, there are services. We've used one. It's actually not too expensive. I think the EotE book would cost between $40 and $70 depending on whether or not they can destroy the book in the process or have to preserve it (but they to a real hurting to the binding) or other options.

There's a non-professional service that I get access to through school and I tried to use it. It didn't work out. The font used in the book was described to me as "thin" and the pages are too reflective. After a lot of tweaks and several tries, they managed to get to a point where it seemed to work. To a sighted person, it looked very good! But the OCR didn't think so and when you added in the odd formatting because of the art, it barfed.

They are very nice people but non-professional likely means not-too-skilled. For any other book, that hasn't mattered, though. This book... the CIA should learn from FFG how to secure their documents!

I appreciate that people would chip in for me. That is incredibly sweet and, for the second time today, I cant get a smile off my face. But, really, cost isn't the issue. While most of it is what I've already said, some of it is principle. I don't want to have to deal with this for every book in the series I might like to buy.

And, just so it's clear, as much as I think it sucks, I understand FFG's limitations. It isn't a gripe against them. I just gripe about the situation.

• Himsett, Cynabar, kaosoe and 4 others like this

- Haley

#15 Desslok

Desslok

• Members
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 08:27 AM

Naw, hijack away - this thread was nothing more than a one-off joke. If some good can come of it, then more power to it.

On the matter of PDFs - while getting official ones are out of the question, have you considered . . . . ahem - alternate means? Normally I wouldn't condone piracy, but since you (or at least your family) has already purchased the books, and this is a situation unique to you, I'd think that morally you'd be okay hitting pirate bay for electronic copies, that FFG probably wouldn't raise a fuss.

Just a thought. .. .

Edited by Desslok, 17 August 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#16 Psion

Psion

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

On the subject of the future of the franchise, does anyone know when a book for the Smuggler, Bounty Hunter, or Techie will be announced next?

#17 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

Nope.  We were all kind of hoping there would be some more info at the con on Q4 stuff for the RPG.

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#18 Castlecruncher

Castlecruncher

• Members
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Naw, hijack away - this thread was nothing more than a one-off joke. If some good can come of it, then more power to it.

On the matter of PDFs - while getting official ones are out of the question, have you considered . . . . ahem - alternate means? Normally I wouldn't condone piracy, but since you (or at least your family) has already purchased the books, and this is a situation unique to you, I'd think that morally you'd be okay hitting pirate bay for electronic copies, that FFG probably wouldn't raise a fuss.

Just a thought. .. .

I only got the F&D Beta on a PDF because I knew I'd end up buying it anyways (a mix of no pictures, my love of paper, and my hate of reading on a screen when I could be reading by hand makes me hate PDF books). And I'm sure that in specific circumstances it might be considered more reasonable.

Also, I can understand not wanting to be an exception and have changes made to suit you; I prefer not to let my own troubles get in the way of others. On the other hand, I like to let the troubles of others get in the way of me so I can help...

Dang. Now I'm conflicted.

"Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim."

-Elie Wiesel

#19 Lareg

Lareg

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

I have told Haley where she can find those electronic copies, however there are problems  because they are scanned pages from the paper books, and so they are an image with no text inside it. Sighted people don't see the difference, but the text-to-speech program does. Those pdf must be  "fed" to an OCR program to extract the text before it can be read.

The F&D beta pdf, being original, doesn't have those problems, though.

#20 Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

• Members
  • 492 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

High quality scans of almost all of the books in the Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion series exist. (Better than the shoddy, blurry, scans floating around The Pirate Bay, to be sure.) Several have already been converted into OCR, and the rest are good enough scans that they could be turned into OCR documents with very little trouble.

Edit: Please note that I am in no way advocating or encouraging piracy of FFG materials. I own physical copies of all of the FFG Star Wars RPG books that have been released thus far.

Edited by Yoshiyahu, 17 August 2014 - 06:39 PM.

CorellianCrafts.com is now live! Be sure to check it out for hand-made Star Wars dice bags and accessories!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS