Photo

Will all expansions work simultaneously?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Eighth Air Force

Eighth Air Force

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

I just recently bought the Talisman core set (current FFG edition) and have played it several times. The game is fun but I have yet to play it to it's conclusion. I have considered expanding the game and was wondering if someone could tell me if all of the expansions can be played together or piecemeal?

Thanks

#2 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

This is the eternal question around here.

Technically, and it is written, all expansions can be played together or separately as you wish ; ie; using some but not all, so how about the Firelands and Frostmarch creating a flame vs ice theme?

But in reality many of us may only favor some/most with individual caveats and also some serious house rules....

especially for the Dragon Expansion, since it presents a more deliberate new scenario. Many players either avoid it, or piecemeal it. Including me.

I mostly try to 'delay' the flood of Dragon scales that the expansion brings.   But 7 out of 10, I will use the inlay board, along with the other components.

I think one expansion in particular will allow individual games more options to deal with the Dragon, possibly other expansions:

Blood Moon, with its Day/Night scenario could allow a game where scales are only drawn during day or night, if you wish, we've done that, but it is important to remember to stop or begin pulling scales when the day or night change, so some people might not like that.

#3 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:04 PM

Yes, all expansions can be played simultaneously.
The characters and endings of The Dragon expansion can be mixed with the rest of your collection.

You'll need to play specific endings to use the other parts of The Dragon, as outlined here:
http://community.fan...-few-questions/
(I explained it a few posts down.)

The rest of the expansions and all their components can be used at all times.

#4 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Recently asked and answered just 2 weeks ago or less:

http://community.fan...284-expansions/

http://community.fan...-few-questions/

RoboRally, then Talisman. That's the way it is... ;)

#5 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

BTW, I discovered and played Talisman in the Air Force myself around 1986 or 87 at Grand Forks AFB ND.

#6 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

BTW, I discovered and played Talisman in the Air Force myself around 1986 or 87 at Grand Forks AFB ND.

Oh my gorsh! You're almost as old as me! Well, maybe within 10 years of me.

#7 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Well the 4 corner expansions should all work together. I'm sure gonna try the moment i get my hand on the woodlands expansion.

• Uvatha and 0beron like this

#8 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:12 AM

Well the 4 corner expansions should all work together. I'm sure gonna try the moment i get my hand on the woodlands expansion.

Same here!!!
  • Uvatha likes this

#9 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:27 PM

It's been said before (and I agree) that the more small-box expansions you include, the more 'watered-down' they all become. 

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it's definitely a thing. In my house we like to feel the full flavour of an expansion, so we only add one small-boxer at a time these days.

The big-box corner board expansions of course have their own adventure decks, so they can be thrown in as desired without becoming diluted.

Short answer: yes, you can! Find out what works good for you, then come back and tell us! :)

#10 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:55 PM

Well, it is fantasy, so it can be anything, I suppose.

But I approach Talisman as a real world kind of thing. The world just doesn't have a couple of things that define or is its' essence. 

I like a fantasy game that has demons, undead, fairies, werewolves, goblins, and.everything.else.

I don't recall that the grand daddy of all fantasy games, D and D, sequestered or segregated its "world".  I remember that a Vampire could be in one chamber and then a Dark Elf Queen in another, for example.

And I only play a 2 player game and I've never felt that I was cheated because hardly/no Frostmarch cards, or whatever, were not more represented (due to shuffling,etc)

In fact quite the opposite.  If you only play one, or a small amount of these sets, wouldn't the sense of expectation diminish, because you knew, for example that most likely your next encounter would be

1) an Ifrit

2) an undead

3) an opportunity for a Quest.

Rather than really knowing what lurked around the next bend.  I think that is exactly why Talisman is meant/can be played with all sets.

Edited by 0beron, 16 August 2014 - 05:57 PM.

• DomaGB likes this

#11 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

I agree 0beron, I prefer a game where it is unpredictable and anything can happen. I think there are cards we have yet to play!

Perhaps because Talisman is so random, some people like to limit that randomness with less expansions, and prepare for what they know is coming. But definitely not me and my group!
  • 0beron likes this

#12 jd3

jd3

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Hi, Eighth Air Force.  Thanks for your service!

Talisman excels as a game when players interact.  Too few players and too many additional regions (i.e., corners) and the interaction drains away (unless you houserule -- e.g., limit the number of talismans).  In some cases it can almost become a solitary and not very interesting game, especially if you die late on.  Admittedly, too many players can lead to a lot of down time between turns.  So 4-5 players seems to be the sweetspot; other posters may disagree.

As previous comments suggest, the small boxes are more thematic.  It's probably worth starting out playing one and then experimenting with combinations.  The Reaper is a fun expansion and definitely worth a look.

You've picked a good time to start playing!  It's taken FFG a couple of years to reach the point when all the corners are (almost) available -- but once you start acquiring the big expansions, the completist temptation takes hold!

#13 DomaGB

DomaGB

• Members
  • 515 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

I disagree, we always play with all expansions, and we often have fair amount of player interaction. Lately we have had most and sometimes all players in the same region. Especially once I shared with everyone the idea of going to Highlands 1st in low levels, then to the city to spend the money you earned there.

#14 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:16 AM

Hi, Eighth Air Force.  Thanks for your service!

Too few players and too many additional regions (i.e., corners) and the interaction drains away (unless you houserule -- e.g., limit the number of talismans).  

I snipped some of this, but this speaks to my experience. I will probably only ever play with 1 other person.  Our games tend to be our own separate explorations. My co player doesn't care to interact with me as a character, but rather plunder and hoard to her heart's content. She also doesn't want to send the Reaper or the Werewolf after me, and tries to guilt me to do the same.

I may be playing the most dysfunctional Talisman ever, but its what I got, so there is that. Having said that I love playing with her and every game is always different. Very different in fact.

I like different. I would never be interested in making the game more predictable by limiting the cards I would encounter.

And as two players, we can tear through quite a bit of the Adventure deck, so I never feel that I didn't get the object or encounter that I wanted, theres always something NEW. Like Doma says there are cards he has not played yet in any game.

That's like life to me. Some people never have serious love in their lives. Some people never have all the money they want, in their lives. Some people never get to meet the special persons who can change their lives.

Life is a box of chocolates.  Talisman is a treasure chest of chocolates. You never know what you'll get.

Edited by 0beron, 21 August 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#15 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

That's like life to me. Some people never have serious love in their lives. Some people never have all the money they want, in their lives. Some people never get to meet the special persons who can change their lives.

Trying to figure out if you're telling me that, because I like the expansions to have real presence and flavour, I'm lonely, poor, and living a dead-end life.  ;)

#16 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:01 PM

I was using real life things as a metaphor for the Talisman experience. 

Life isn't one flavor at all - - unless you try to segregate yourself from all it can offer.

Having said that, I tend to believe that unless you are well connected, rich, or at least upper middle class

we're all in some dead-end life.     I don't want to get political, but at my age, I've never seen the world so concentrated - one way or the other - into haves and have nots.

"You're never alone with a schizophrenic" - - Ian Hunter  (to which I can add, OR HANGING AROUND ON THE TALISMAN THREAD)

#17 John Steed

John Steed

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:50 AM

I find that the dragon expansion and Firelands work great together since they share a theme, but that is the only one I'd combine with the dragon expansion.  I avoid expansions that extend the board since the main board is big enough already. When I play a game, I wanna be able to see the entire board clearly from one spot, not have to stretch and move to get to a far corner.  That said, you can probably combine all the expansions, but then card decks become huge, gold cards get watered down, and there will be some mechanics that you will forget to do every turn.  

I actually bought two base games and combine half the expansions in one and half in the other.

Edited by John Steed, 21 August 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#18 Artaterxes

Artaterxes

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:54 AM

Unfortunately, Talisman isn't the best for a consistent theme. Even in the base game a blizzard could occur in the desert.

Runebound is an excellent game for concentrated theme and landscapes.

#19 talismanisland

talismanisland

• Members
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:10 PM

Even in the base game a blizzard could occur in the desert.

Who'd have thought of such a thing?

http://ageofarmour.c...sert-snow-3.jpg
  • 0beron and DomaGB like this
Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#20 0beron

0beron

• Members
  • 736 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

Its sorta a Eurocentric, or whatever to assume or deny that Desert areas do indeed have winter. Maybe not blizzard winter, but as the Blizzard has struck for me, in the Desert I just deal with it. 

Is the Blizzard a one turn delay or three? You couldn't always house rule that Desert Blizzards only last 1 turn, if it says 3 on the actual card.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS