Photo

Better late than never I suppose! (Beginner thread)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Kogan Style

Kogan Style

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:42 AM

Greetings all!

My friends and I are veterans of the old 1st ed of WFRP, and we have attempted to convert to 3rd Edition with some success (as the GM, I love the dice mechanic, I found it makes for a great storytelling tool - what does the Chaos Star mean THIS time muhahaha!) We played a few times but never really got going (real life problems... -_- ).

Since then, I have moved to Oxford and the gaming has ground to a halt. However coming on here has re-ignited some of the old storytelling love and I know the group are keen to commit to something if we can use this newfangled Internet fad to cross the distance.

I'm interested in hearing about how other people have handled this - particularly as this edition is card-heavy, I've seen a Dice Roller floating around which is a great tool, thanks to whoever built it and linked it to Google hangouts. Are there any other tools or tips that can help?

Also, we (currently I) have the Core set, what else is very useful to have (either for me, the GM, or the players, to have in their possession) Witch's Song seems a good purchase for additional rules (plus an adventure) but what about others?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:54 AM

You really need the core set, and the 4 "chaos expansions" to get the full system.

HOWEVER

As FFG has pretty much dropped the system, you might be able to find more people willing to............give...... you those expansions via other means.

If your personal notion of honour does not allow that, you will probably be able to find PDF's of 3rd ed on places like DrivethruRPG, but you will not have the rules as a lot of them are card based which you seem not to get in the DTRPG versions.

#3 Kogan Style

Kogan Style

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

Well we have.... acquired most of the 1st & 2nd edition stuff for idea generation. How do people get round the card issue when playing remotely? Do players have there own boxes or is the players guide/adventurer's toolkit required?

#4 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:21 AM

Well............

I have a feeling that while loyal fans were more than willing to NOT allow things like PDF's of cards and such to get out on the net while the game was "alive", you may find them coming around soon.

Nothing is really -required- from the players now, that includes loyalty. It's what happens when you have a loyal fanbase, treat them well, and they will help you, mistreat them, and they will respond "in kind", especially when you make no promise to continue to support a line.

• GMmL likes this

#5 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:23 AM

Kogan... take a peek at the Player's Handbook. There is a limited, yet perfectly useful set of charts that cover all of the card info for Core, and if I'm not mistaken two of the ruinous boxes. It's a good place to start until the eventual digital copies are out in the wild.

#6 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

Hi Kogan. I am currently playing WFRP 3rd edition with a group via the interweb-thing. We use teamspeak to converse and a program calle Fantasy Grounds to play the game through. There are downloads available that have the cards and rules system and you just load these into Fantasy Grounds and away you go. We have been using the system for over two years and had lots of fun with it.

I will try to give the addresses to downloads you would need later on tonight.
  • Eradico Pravus likes this

#7 Kogan Style

Kogan Style

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Thanks Gazery, I've found the forbidden tome site, are those the files you mention? 

We tried a quick character building session tonight using the player guides - we found it great just chatting about the character and how wealthy/skilled and what natural talents they possess, but the action card section turned into a drag, and we just abandoned that. We agreed that since its a roleplay, there character could attempt a "double strike" or attempt to use "honeyed words" and they should be allowed to, unrestricted by cards. Is the action card more of a reference point for both the GM and player, knowing that Honeyed words can be a guile check against Intuition? 

How have others approach this - particularly with remote roleplaying? If you remove the extra actions would you reduce the character creation points  proportionally? 

#8 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

Sorry, I have been busy suddenly and not had a chance to reply with the address.

It explains everything and shows you where to download everything here:

http://www.p-mi.com/...pic.php?f=1&t=5

In total, each person playing would need -

1. Fantasy Grounds II installed (only the GM needs the paid version, everyone else can just get the free version)

2. The WFRP Ruleset

3. The WFRP Library - (both free downloads and fan created)

One tip is to not use Internet Explorer to download the Ruleset or Library as it saves it as the wrong file type and then won't work on Fantasy Grounds. You can use any other browser though.

Hope this helps.

Gazery

#9 Kogan Style

Kogan Style

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the links!

Do you find the GM process of building everything quite time consuming?

#10 Gazery

Gazery

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:41 PM

I can't help you there, I'm not a GM. But if you ask on the forums that the link takes you to, then a GM should be able to answer any questions.

#11 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Thanks for the links!

I use the creature guide and the scenario.  That's it.  I don't mess around with pulling all kinds of cards and crap out for monsters.  That can be handy if you have the time, but I'd rather spend my time prepping the story instead.

I've photocopied my monsters and their abilities from the products that weren't in the Creature Guide so there again I don't have to deal with a mess of cards.  Ideally, FFG would have put out a Creature Guide 2..but alas, I had to make my own.  You can get PDFs of everything at this point, but I'd recommend getting  a hardcover of the Creature Guide and make photocopies of your later products (omens of war, witchs song, lure of power) so you don't have to mess with cards.

Mark your creatures and their abilities PAGES with a post it note.  

Lastly, stop thinking about the components all together.  They are only there to do a game without a paper and pencil.  FFG was wrong though:  it is quicker WITH paper and pencil than dinking around playing with all of those cards, counters and chips (at least from the GM's side).  You will have less prep time if you spend time messing with cards.

jh

• Kogan Style likes this

#12 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the links!

I'm a noob GM for WFRP myself. I've gone to the trouble of typing up some "Monster Sheets" on Strange Eons and found it to be helpful. It's kind of a pain in the ass to type everything up but I feel a little more prepared since I don't have a great handle on the voluminous rules/talents/actions and A/C/E mechanics for creatures and NPCs.

Here is the sample sheet for Strange Eons ver. 2 using plug-ins found at Liber-Fanatica:

Beastmen-Front-Face.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7

Edited by Eradico Pravus, 19 August 2014 - 04:53 PM.

#13 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:42 PM

Wounds, bah! Stats, bah! A GM craves not these things.

The monsters can die at the appropriately dramatic time.  

• Eradico Pravus and Kogan Style like this

#14 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Lastly, stop thinking about the components all together.  They are only there to do a game without a paper and pencil.  FFG was wrong though:  it is quicker WITH paper and pencil than dinking around playing with all of those cards, counters and chips (at least from the GM's side).  You will have less prep time if you spend time messing with cards.

For me running a game as GM with ALL the components RAW would be a logistical nightmare.

• Kogan Style likes this

#15 Kogan Style

Kogan Style

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:55 AM

Thanks guys, I thought the cards and tokens would be a bit OTT for pen & paper roleplaying, I was just worried I'd be cutting a major piece of the game out by taking out what look like add-on parts.

I'm a noob GM for WFRP myself. I've gone to the trouble of typing up some "Monster Sheets" on Strange Eons and found it to be helpful. It's kind of a pain in the ass to type everything up but I feel a little more prepared since I don't have a great handle on the voluminous rules/talents/actions and A/C/E mechanics for creatures and NPCs.

Here is the sample sheet for Strange Eons ver. 2 using plug-ins found at Liber-Fanatica:

Beastmen-Front-Face.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7

The pic doesn't show for me, but thanks - I'll definitely look into Liber-Fanatica, anything that can help cut down on admin time is great! Likewise the Post-it note tip, why have I don't thought of that before?! Previously I have written out the stats for monsters I was going to use from the book onto lil cards...  :wacko:

I'll keep you posted on how the group gets on, my plan is to steer them into my favourite adventure from WFRP 1 - the legend of Wolfgang von Horn. I think it should be easy enough to put some hooks in from some of the WFRP 3 bigger campaigns, perhaps the ring can provide some assistance in the climatic scenes! Any other WFRP 1/2e adventures people would recommend converting to 3rd?

Edited by Kogan Style, 20 August 2014 - 02:06 AM.

#16 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 03:39 AM

All I can say about cards, chit's, trackers etc is..........

SOME people love them, I certainly do for 3rd ed. I love my cards, my stances, grabbing a few tokens to represent my stress a fatigue, having non standard dice, a little class card, I love all that stuff because it ADDED to the experience. What I did NOT like about them was they were REQUIRED to get the full rules, and that sucked.

RPG's are NOT TTWG's nor are they CCG's, they are RPG's. There is no problem in porting -elements- of these styles into a RPG, but they should never overcome that core element of a game. 2 books, some dice and some friends. Games should build on that, not replace that.

• ElCommi likes this

#17 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:57 AM

The pic doesn't show for me, but thanks - I'll definitely look into Liber-Fanatica, anything that can help cut down on admin time is great! Likewise the Post-it note tip, why have I don't thought of that before?! Previously I have written out the stats for monsters I was going to use from the book onto lil cards...  :wacko:

Hmm.... try this link.

• ElCommi likes this

#18 Kogan Style

Kogan Style

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:32 AM

wow great stuff!

#19 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:54 AM

Hmm.... try this link.

I like those. How did you do it?

#20 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

Get Strange Eons here.

Be sure to scroll down and get the older version (ver. 2.1 alpha 13) because the plug-ins do not work with version 3.

Get the plug-ins here

Once you get all that installed, play around with it. 

• ElCommi and Kogan Style like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS