Photo

Statting Abaddon (and other notable characters)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Crystal Geyser

Crystal Geyser

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

Consider it a beta-testing experiment: I am currently attempting to generate statistics for Abaddon and other notable characters from the 40k universe. I'm looking for feedback, ideas, and ways to make the NPC profile as accurate as possible. Here is my starting rough draft:

ABADDON THE DESPOILER

WS 89

BS 54

S (14) 86

T (10) 65

Ag 52

Int 79

Per 54

WP (10) 97

Fel (8) 74

Inf 150

Infamy Points: 15

Movement: 5/10/15/30

Wounds: 60

Skills: Athletics, Awareness +20, Charm +30, Command +30, Commerce, Common Lore (Imperium, Imperial Guard, Imperial Navy), Common Lore (War)+30, Deceive +30, Forbidden Lore (Adeptus Astartes, Demonology, Heresy, Horus Heresy and the Long War, Warp) +30, Inquiry +20, Interrogation, Intimidate +30, Linguistics (High Gothic, Low Gothic, Astartes Ciphers, Black Legion Ciphers, Personal Ciphers), Logic, Navigate (Surface), Operate (Surface), Operate (Voidship), Parry +30, Scholastic Lore (Heraldry, Legend, Occult, Tactica Imperialis) +30, Scrutiny, Security.

Talents: Air of Authority, Ambidextrous, Ancient Warrior, Bastion of Iron Will, Bolter Drill, Bulging Biceps, Cold Hearted, Combat Formation, Combat Master, Counter Attack, Crippling Strike, Crushing Blow, Demagogue, Die Hard, Disarm, Disturbing Voice, Enemy (All), Excessive Wealth, Fearless, Foresight, Furious Assault, Hardy, Hammer Blow, Hatred (Imperium), Heightened Senses (All), Inspire Wrath, Into the Jaws of Hell, Iron Discipline, Iron Jaw, Jaded, Killing Strike, Lightning Attack, Legion Weapon Training, Lightning Reflexes, Mastery (Command, Tactica), Nerves of Steel, Never Die, Orthopraxy, Paranoia, Peer (Black Legion, Chaos Space Marines), Pity the Weak, Precise Blow, Radiant Presence, Resistance (All), Strong Minded, Storm of Iron, Sure Strike, Swift Attack, Takedown, Thunder Charge, True Girt, Two-Weapon Wielder (All), Unarmed Master, Unarmed Warrior, Unshakeable Will, War Cry, Whirlwind of Death, Wisdom of the Ancients.

Traits: All Astartes Traits.

Gifts of the Gods: Mark of Chaos Ascendant. This functions as the Mark of every Chaos God. This conveys the Heightened Senses (All), Unnatural Fellowship (2), Stuff of Nightmares, Unnatural Toughness (1), Resistance (Psychic Powers), Brutal Charge, Unnatural Strength (+2), and Unnatural Willpower (1) Traits. These effects are included in his profile.

Weapons: Drach’Nyen, the Talon of Horus

Drach’Nyen: 2d10+7, Pen 7, Power Field, Balanced, Felling (4), Fear +1, Force Field 90, Tearing, Proven (2), Warp Weapon, +9 Critical Damage, deals 1d10 Toughness Damage, Crippling (9).

Drach’Nyen is a Best-Craftsmanship Legion Power Sword that is also a Daemon Weapon. It possesses every Unaligned Daemon Weapon attribute, a Binding Strength of 0, and a Willpower Characteristic of 90.

The Talon of Horus: The Talon of Horus is a Best-Craftsmanship Legion Lightning Claw incorporating a Best-Craftsmanship twin-linked Legion Bolter. Bolter Rounds fired by the Talon of Horus count as both haywire grenades and as best-quality choke gas, in addition to being Toxic (for those of you wondering, this is how it works in the Night Lords series).

Lightning Claw: 1d10+15, Pen 16, Power Field, Proven (4). It deals an extra point of damage for every Degree of Success on the attack roll.

Bolter: Basic, 100m, S/4/-, 1d10+18 X, Pen 13, Toxic, Haywire, Reliable, Twin-linked.

The Talon of Horus is also a Legacy Weapon with the Legacy of Hate, and the following Legacy Weapon Traits: Adaptable, Instinctive, Unassailable, and Unholy Union.

Armor: Best-Craftsmanship Terminator Armor (16 all) with Chain Loingaurds, Deviotional Icongoraphy (Unaligned), and Armor of the Black Legion. It possesses a best-craftsmanship Infernal Star force field. All sub-systems are fully functional. Strength bonus included in profile.

And an optional Upgrade, for the humor:

Gear: Two best-craftmsnahip bionic arms 

Edited by Crystal Geyser, 14 August 2014 - 05:45 PM.

#2 Zoombie

Zoombie

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

That's actually almost exactly how I statted him for the climax of my long running, epicly huge Rogue Trader game, where a Living Saint hacked his arms off on the steps of the Golden Throne. 

That was a fun game. 

#3 Crystal Geyser

Crystal Geyser

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:32 PM

My party is heading in a similar direction, hence the need.

#4 Elurindel

Elurindel

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:57 PM

You haven't factored the Strength bonus into his melee damage with the Talon of Horus. Was this intentional?

#5 Crystal Geyser

Crystal Geyser

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:51 PM

Not really - I knew that I hadn't added it in, but didn't really think it was necessary. Do you advise it?

#6 Elurindel

Elurindel

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:13 PM

If you intend to use him as an NPC, I'd at least include a second damage line that factors it in. His Strength Bonus and Infamy bonus would give him something like a +22, not counting any other modifiers. Also, he is almost always guarded by a sworn squad of Chosen Terminators.

Edited by Elurindel, 26 August 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#7 Yozzy

Yozzy

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:53 AM

Sounds about right, though Drach'nyen should have a binding strength of at least 1, since BS 0 would mean it could just fly out of the sword at will.

Edited by Yozzy, 01 September 2014 - 03:53 AM.

#8 Calgor Grim

Calgor Grim

• Members
  • 496 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:25 AM

Question, why does Abaddon have better base Willpower and bonus than a Lord of Change (81) as well as more augmented Strength than a Bloodthirster (75)? 

These are supposed to be the finest of Tzeentch and Khorne respectively, the pinnacle of their wrath and ingenuity and yet Abaddon is just a mortal who can theoretically outclass them both in a straight numbers game. He is not a daemon prince and is still human and should have stats accordingly. In a straight test of Strength Abaddon has the better chance of success (which is why I hate terminator +30 Str) than the Bloodthirster but if the Thirster does win then yes his higher DoS would give him the edge but even so, the numbers are perhaps a little odd on the face of things.

His WP is still too high though, he is not that strong in mental capabilities and fortitude compared to one who manipulates fate and destiny on a daily basis. 97 is ridiculously high if you ask me unless theres a ton of gear altering it. Cut it down to maybe 60's.

Also, being slightly picky but I dont think he should have "Enemy (All)" otherwise he wouldn't be able to lead a black crusade as everyone would hate him and nobody would ally with him. Recommend changing it to "Enemy (Imperium)".

Edited by Calgor Grim, 02 September 2014 - 05:29 AM.

Loyal Missionary Father Grim of the Kingston 293rd Storm Troopers

#9 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 05:39 AM

Not really - I knew that I hadn't added it in, but didn't really think it was necessary. Do you advise it?

Official statlines and profiles always factors Strength Bonus and similar into the final statline for the weapons used.

Let's say that a listed NPC has a Strength of 40 and is using a 1d10 Sword. On his listed profile, the damage of that sword will show as 1d10+4.

This is not always true, however, and very often, NPC's in official supplements end up having very wonky profiles in regards to existing listed weapons, but the general policy seems to be to do it that way.

For simplicity's sake, I advice sticking to that.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#10 Elurindel

Elurindel

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:48 PM

FFG is far from perfect when it comes to proof-reading, but their official characters usually have their Strength bonuses factored in.

#11 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 02:04 AM

FFG is far from perfect when it comes to proof-reading, but their official characters usually have their Strength bonuses factored in.

It's sometimes very hard to tell. For example, there's a statline for Arbitrators in Hand of Corruption. They have a Strength Bonus of 40, and their Suppression Shields are listed as 1d10+3. This implies that the Suppression Shields are 1d10-1, but there's never been any shields like that listed in any 40kRP.

And don't get me started on the mess that is the statline Hellguns in the Broken Chains Adventure..

Edited by Fgdsfg, 04 September 2014 - 02:04 AM.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#12 Elurindel

Elurindel

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:15 AM

Not to mention they often forget the extra damage and Pen for Force weapons based on the wielder's PR...

• Fgdsfg likes this

#13 Lord Master Igneus

Lord Master Igneus

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

I do believe he has an arm mounted twin-linked bolter. I'd count it as having the same range reduction that any arm mounted weapon gets.

#14 Crow Eye

Crow Eye

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:07 AM

You should have a special rule which states: "Even the slightest impact to his arms will cause them to fall off". (I keed, I keed...)

You should also change Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis) from +30 to -5...

Okay, smartassery aside, for the most part he seems okay, but one of the problems with this game system is that, the more Talents you have, the harder and harder it gets to remember them all at any one time. As he's an NPC, I'd keep a copy of him as is (or as you refine him to be) using the official BC method, and then create a simplified copy where you consolidate all the special Talent rules down as much as possible into his stats (ie, instead of Crushing Blow, just add an extra two to his damage, etc), or just simplify him with some Tabletop numbers (ie, Swift Attack and Lightning Attack simply become Attacks: 3). As he isn't a legal character, he can have that luxury, and it'll make it easier to keep track of all his special abilities

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS