Just when you thought that we are seeing too many YT-1300 with Gunner + C-3P0, plus Z-95s in the wave 4 meta, we now have an entirely new option for the Rebels for 1 large ship + support. These however, will play much differently.
For reference, the dial:
Here is one squad that takes advantage of the new ship. It revolves around getting higher than the 2 base attack dice for an incredible value.
Leebo + Outrider + Heavy Laser Cannon + Push the Limit + Kyle Katarn (52)
4x Bandit Squadron Pilots (48)
Leebo can't take any shots at range 1, creating a "doughnut" arc around him, hence the squad name. There are of course many squads that would fit the Archetype of "Doughnut Bandits". Perhaps in time we will see some more specialized squads like the "Boston Creme Bandits" or "Chocolate Doughnut Bandits".
General strategies and rationale for this particular variation:
- Bandits fly cover to help block enemy ships from getting at range 1 of Leebo.
- Z-95s are very cost efficient, and getting 4 of them really helps with the squad's overall firepower, especially coupled with a 4-dice Heavy Laser Cannon that will ideally be shooting with focus + Target Lock every round.
- Leebo is the ideal pilot for this setup, as the squad points with 4 Z-95's plus Kyle leave the Doughnut Outrider squad at exactly 100 points. Leebo's defensive ability is the YT-2400 version of Chewbacca, and should prove quite effective.
- Leebo must do a green maneuver every round for maximum efficiency (free focus token from Kyle), but can barrel roll out of the way to reposition if needed. Revealing a green maneuver to clear a stress token, and then using Push the Limit gives the following options:
- 2 focus tokens + Target Lock
- 2 focus tokens + Barrel Roll
- 1 focus token + Target Lock + Barrel Roll
- The only red on the dial is the K-turn, so even if stressed, you can still perform whatever maneuver you want, if you are willing to sacrifice your action for better positioning.
- Because you gain a free focus token after removing a stress token, you will want to Push the Limit the turn before the first round of exchanging fire, so you can get the extra focus token on the first dice rolling round.
Edited by MajorJuggler, 14 August 2014 - 11:32 AM.