Another Open Letter to FFG

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 tonylovessunny

tonylovessunny

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 02:15 AM

Wow, some of you guys really went insane with my posting. I didn't expect so many negative and insulting comments. Not everyone has the money to spend on three core sets, nor does everyone want all the extra cards for so few.

Selling extra core sets is probably not as beneficial as you'd think. If it impacts the minds of those who don't have the money to buy three sets to get the cards they would like, they might not be interested in buying further sets. Customer satisfaction goes a long way in long-term profits. It is actually pretty simple. Anyone who has taken a few undergraduate marketing or economics classes would know this. 

If I am spending a lot of extra money on core sets, and I have a budget, I am less likely to purchase the packs and deluxe expansions. That means that FFG is focusing more on the original product, and that will skew some of their data. If customers are buying a lot of the core sets, but not bothering with the whole purpose of the LCG, it disrupts their models. It also means that certain sets will be under printed as the demand will not be for when they are released, but sometime after when those people can afford it.

The purpose for FFG not doing this has to either be that they don't think it will be profitable or that they worry about the print-on-demand card quality. In which case, they should just print it with the other shop, as the set will be more than just 60 cards, enough to justify the cost and quality improvement.

When I message other players in other forums, most tend to proxy the cards, with either other cards and a slip of paper in a sleeve or by scanning and copying the card. In either case, FFG is losing money, and it is making the game less attractive for those who are interested, like myself.

FFG: Unless there is a clear model on why this cannot be done, it probably is in your best interest to print the cards to even out the playing field and to clear up the proxy issues. People will pay for them. Thank you.

• Fryden likes this

#22 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:22 AM

​I don't really wonna insult you or put you down just it was already so many this kind of request and this is really pointless....... So just tired about it and go straight to the points.

And if you really like the game you will not stop to play because of that...... 

Cheers!

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#23 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:12 AM

​I don't really wonna insult you or put you down just it was already so many this kind of request and this is really pointless....... So just tired about it and go straight to the points.

Cheers!

I don't think it is pointless. It's something we've gone over several times in the past but FFG may be waiting for "sufficient interest".

I don't think there's much to say on the matter though - we can periodically ask, and then just wait and see.

• DurinIII likes this

#24 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:48 AM

We can periodically ask, and then just get ignored/rejected :D

• Rapier likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#25 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

It's $54 at Cool Stuff. Just buy it and stop complaining everyone. It's ridiculous.

If you're smart enough to understand how to play this game and you can't afford the $54, go back to school and get a decent job.

Or don't have special needs kids, right?

I hear you bro. If Johnny Awsome here was Awsome he'd offer to buy and send you a extra core set with his Awsome job.

No, I'm not bitter.  But I know it's hard to imagine the circumstances of people you know only through a few typed words on a webpage.  We all need to remember this from time to time - me included.  It's all good.

#26 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

Cheers!

I don't think it is pointless. It's something we've gone over several times in the past but FFG may be waiting for "sufficient interest".
I don't think there's much to say on the matter though - we can periodically ask, and then just wait and see.

Yes sure if will be many request and sells go down maybe but… I dont think it will happen

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#27 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:47 PM

I think I'll buy the third core set, just to spite the OP. :)

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#28 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

Don't worry OP, FFG looks after all its customers:

1. Grab "The End Comes"

2. Call it "Unexpected Courage"

Problem solved. 

And if you miss the utility of "The End Comes", then after you complete your expansion collection you can grab a used set for like 20$.  :D

• Glaurung likes this

#29 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:07 PM

Oh yeah! It is the best idea.

Even when another player plays a repeated name of a card. For example, Dwalin hero and Gloin ally. I say, 'ok then, so my ally Gloin will be - i dunno, for example ... - ...Longbeard Dwarf.

Or when i play Redhorn Gate with Arwen inside a deck. 'Ops, i forgot! So my ally Arwen will be Bofur spirit', for example.

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#30 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:11 AM

Use sleeves and insert paper prints of the cards you need onto the existing unused ones.

• Mndela likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#31 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:29 AM

Use sleeves and insert paper prints of the cards you need onto the existing unused ones.

Right. There are no duds, only proxies. :P

#32 Dain Ironfoot

Dain Ironfoot

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:45 PM

I can understand this sentiment, surely, even if i did buy 3 core sets.

but, buying 3 core sets is still cheaper than purchasing just 1 booster box of Magic (or any other CCG out there) and you'll end up with more useless cards (all those junk commons and rares) than you do with 3 core sets.

at the end of the day, it's up to you. you can find core sets online for ~$25 - which, i don't think, is too much to ask - especially given the money sink of every other CCG out there (that doesn't follow the LCG model, of course).

#33 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:04 PM

I think I'd rather they release the errated cards as a POD first, because its not possible to buy those ones at all.

#34 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

Bying a second starter set for like 20 euros is indeed a good deal, once you have bought a few packs.

Edited by FetaCheese, 18 August 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#35 tonylovessunny

tonylovessunny

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 07:44 PM

I still think many of you are missing the point. The point isn't "I am whinning because FFG screwed up the core set" but that I am explaining to FFG that, unless there is some kind of trade secret that they'd rather not tell their clients, that there is enough interest from the fans to actually purchase something like this. 

From a marketing perspective, it is an easy sell. From the perspective of actual sales, it seems that it would be a better seller than the nightmare decks. From the point of design, it is practically designed already. They would have to just touch up some text at the bottom of the cards. It has to be a financial issue or a budget issue with FFG. 

Continually telling people not to mention this does nobody any good. It is only a win for players and for the company, so it is up to the company to decide if they want to continually shaft new players by limiting the cards they can purchase and the methods for doing so. 

LOTR LCG is not a collectable card game, so I don't understand why anyone would bother saying that three core sets is cheaper than a MTG booster box. They are not equivalent. Nobody wants the extra cards that you get from your core sets. Cards are not worth more than the set you bought them in.

#36 ruferto

ruferto

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

I agree with you, tonylovessunny. I think about this sometimes, "The Lord of the Rings The Card Game, Upgrade pack". 

This awesome game has so much players and fans than it looks. And something like this would be a hit. 

I would like to see, included in that Upgrade pack, a new rulebook including the FAQ and all the expansion rules, and cards fixed, errata free and with the easy mode icon.

I feel this game needs to improve the community support, with more stuff (boxes, playmats, dividers, ...) and tools. I see the awesome tool that  FFG has launched for X-Wing and if we had something like that for LOTR...  a great Card designer, including quests... I would love to reuse my encounter decks.

Edited by ruferto, 29 August 2014 - 11:00 PM.

• gandalfDK and Fryden like this

#37 FetaCheese

FetaCheese

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:21 AM

Look, FFG are not stupid, if it would have been profitable for them to offer us an upgrade pack, they'd already have done so. Selling multiple copies to players however ensures that their stock of starter boxes sells at a decent rate for them and it is never returned back. That's good enough a reason not to alter their marketing plan. So it's not happening. Make some proxies instead.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS