• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 tonylovessunny

tonylovessunny

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:56 AM

Dear Lovely People at Fantasy Flight Games:

Thank you ever so much for working so hard to create the Lord of the Rings LCG. It is a very difficult game, but it is also very fun. I really love that it is a cooperative game and that it is not necessarily a collectible card game, so that I can focus on playing with people, knowing that if we bought the same packs, we have the same cards.

However, as many of your loyal customers and fans have already noted, we would strongly like to have a print-on-demand set that is just to increase the player cards in the core set, so that we can have three of each card, without having to spend $35 twice more for two more core sets that will give us too much other cards we don't want, have to borrow from friends, make proxies, or buy singles from websites that are tearing down core sets and selling off the pieces for a higher profit. 

I really love your formula and I am constantly excited for the next pack to come out. I hope that you can respond to this or in another direct way whether or not you can do this. Perhaps there is a reason why you cannot, and if you could let us fans know why, we might complain less, however, if you think it will be less profitable for you, I beg to differ. I would happily spend $20 for the additional cards, 64 total I believe, as would many fans of this game. 

Keep up the good work and thanks for everything so far. I hope that you can continue to make cards and I can continue buying your products.

Sincerely,

Tony (tonylovessunny)

Edited by tonylovessunny, 14 August 2014 - 03:58 AM.

• Nerdmeister, Jban and Fryden like this

#2 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:17 AM

That sounds funny for me. All this kind of petition can be only done by some really naive people.....

Let me explain:  

1 FFG need sell more core sent that why it was done.....Couse in the end of the day is business and sells is most important think here.  So if you really like a game you will buy 2 or even 3 core set and then you will convince a friends to play as well.

2  You buy 1 core set and then you will bring your friends and convince him to play this game to get second core set and then you and your friend have all cards to build up a good decks. That was the idea and i believe is a good idea...... 

So what a point to Make some POD to decrease sells number of core sets?  All this kind of petitions is just screams of souls nothing more...........

Yes yes i know I'm bad boy and bla bla bla bla bla.....

• wyrm187, jormungandr, booored and 3 others like this

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#3 klaymen_sk

klaymen_sk

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:29 AM

This dead horse has been beaten to hell and beyond, there is nothing left to beat anymore. Even someone from FFG (maybe it was Mr. Petersen himself?) said that this won't happen.

Edited by klaymen_sk, 14 August 2014 - 04:29 AM.

• NotAZombie likes this

"To each of us falls a task. And all the Emperor requires of us Guardsmen is that we stand in line, and we die fighting. It is what we do best: we die standing."

-General Sturnn, Cadian 412th regiment

#4 Mndela

Mndela

• Members
  • 928 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:01 AM

I think the number of player cards was because at the first, the most powerful cards (Stewards, Unexpected...) were fewer in number, and the most normal were the normal 3 copies. The first reason was so. If not, if there were 3 copies of each card, what would you think about Common Cause in comparison of Stewards?

After, with the expansions with 3 copies of each card, the first reason took less sense. But so far, still is overpowered to include 3 copies of Stewards or 3 copies of FateDestiny in a player deck.

Maybe, if Stewards, Celebrian, Tracker, etc., were released now, their text would include: no more than X copies can be in a deck (like NeedPath or GilGalad or BlackArrow)...

A wizard is never late..., he arrives precisely when it is the last round

#5 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:15 AM

So what a point to Make some POD to decrease sells number of core sets?  All this kind of petitions is just screams of souls nothing more...........

Yes yes i know I'm bad boy and bla bla bla bla bla.....

If they did this, they might actually get my money.  With the financial pressure of life and family, they will never convince me to buy a 2nd full core set.  Sorry.  So for people like me, they're just limiting their sales.

As ill-fated as this request may be, I support the intention.

• Nerdmeister, DurinIII, tonylovessunny and 1 other like this

#6 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:26 AM

I agree they should sell this.

• DurinIII, tonylovessunny and Fryden like this

#7 alogos

alogos

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:29 AM

The fact that every expansion has 3 cards of each, even in other LCG, and the fact that there is cards that are limited to 1 per deck and still in 3 copies are proof that it is not a question of card power or use.
If steward was so good you only needed 2, there should have a limit: 2 per deck on this card.

The fact is that a box with 3 copies of each cards would add 72 players cards from the initial 136, that mean rising the price of the starter box, wich would be at bit too much for a game.
They couldn't make all cards in 3 copies each because there wouldn't be enough different cards to be apealing.

What they could do, however, is make a deluxe set for 3-4 players.
This box could contain 2 other threat counters and the missing cards to have 3 copies of each. They could even add a scenario specifically design for 3-4 players.
I'll also add the rulesheet for "race against the shadow".
A lot of people are having a hard time deciding to buy a second core set, and the price and the useless cards are keeping them from buying it, so FFG is losing potential money here.
This 3-4 deluxe set would be more affordable, and contains just what they need, so they'll buy it for sure, even if they are just playing it solo. And all those who are playing in group of 3-4 would definitly buy it. They can also make solo player who didn't want a second core set want to buy it if they add specific goodies like additional token with number 3-5-10 overprinted on them, new card design like the aragorn from upcoming gencon, etc.
They will only lose the cost of printing a different box, and losing the gain of people who would buy 2 core set (or even 3) but I think it would balance out pretty well.

They could make money on this, people would be happy, everybody wins.
  • Rapier, karagh, Jban and 1 other like this

#8 Teamjimby

Teamjimby

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:09 AM

Logistically, the POD cards are slightly different than regular cards because they are made in a different factory.  This is why they only use it for encounter decks where they don't have to mix with other encounter sets.  So, if they did POD to "finish" the missing cards from the core set, you might be able to tell them apart from regular cards when mixed in your deck.

Of course, they could do non-POD and manufacture the packs in China.  But this discussion has been beaten to death many times for every LCG they make, and it's abundantly clear that they are not going to make a pack like this.

#9 Johnny Awesome

Johnny Awesome

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

It's $54 at Cool Stuff. Just buy it and stop complaining everyone. It's ridiculous.

If you're smart enough to understand how to play this game and you can't afford the $54, go back to school and get a decent job.

#10 7theye

7theye

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

You do understand that FFG is a company whose sole goal in life is to make money right?

If they can sell more core sets and people are buying them, why wouldn't they maximize revenue?

Why doesn't apple include expandable memory in their products? Same logic

People who play LCG/CCG type games know it's expensive. Think about how much a nightmare pack costs.
If you are heavily invested in this game you will buy another core set or two, which is what FFG wants you to do because they make more money that way.

You are delusional if you think they have a heart and care about poor gamers lol.
  • wyrm187 likes this

#11 Mich the One

Mich the One

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

It seems this topic comes up every now and again, and on each forum for each of the LCGs. As kleymen mentioned, it has been confirmed by FFG that such "core upgrade packs" will never happen. Let us not be grumpy about Tony's post though, at least we have something to talk about. It seems rather quiet in these forums anyways.

While I am not an enthusiast of throwing away money, I must say the system worked in my case and I eventually did buy the additional core sets. The question is - would we buy four core sets if there was a limit of 4 cards per deck? How about five?

#12 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

Well, at least they re-released Sekrets of Arkham for Call of Cthulhu LCG, featuring 3 copies of each card instead of 2.

• Fryden likes this

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#13 blinky

blinky

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:37 AM

Logistically, the POD cards are slightly different than regular cards because they are made in a different factory.  This is why they only use it for encounter decks where they don't have to mix with other encounter sets.  So, if they did POD to "finish" the missing cards from the core set, you might be able to tell them apart from regular cards when mixed in your deck.

Nightmare stuff is PoD and is mixed with normal encounter cards. They just recommend you use opaque sleeves so you can't tell the difference.

#14 13thcaesar

13thcaesar

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:22 AM

In Poland, the cycle of Ring-maker will probably released in PoD (the fact that the quality will be worse, but it's better than nothing. Besides, I put all the cards in FFG Standard Card Game Sleeves). 

However, I agree that FFG will not do it with cards from the Core Set.

Edited by 13thcaesar, 14 August 2014 - 11:34 AM.

#15 Chris51261

Chris51261

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:43 AM

While I agree they aren't going to do this with the core set cards that do not have 3 copies, why won't they do it with cards that have errata? Make it PoD and no sales suffer (the packs the cards are from would still sell for the quest and other player cards) and now they're selling cards with a few rewritten words for $15.

#16 Bullroarer Took

Bullroarer Took

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Sleeves and proxies.

Nearly all of my comments are from the perspective of the single handed solo player.

#17 Distractionbeast

Distractionbeast

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

It's $54 at Cool Stuff. Just buy it and stop complaining everyone. It's ridiculous.

If you're smart enough to understand how to play this game and you can't afford the $54, go back to school and get a decent job.

Or don't have special needs kids, right?

• richsabre likes this

#18 Noccus

Noccus

• Members
  • 411 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Or don't have special needs kids, right?

I hear you bro. If Johnny Awsome here was Awsome he'd offer to buy and send you a extra core set with his Awsome job.
  • richsabre and gandalfDK like this
"Not all those who wander are lost"

#19 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:23 PM

He's an obvious actual troll, that's all.

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#20 Rapier

Rapier

• Members
  • 524 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:30 PM

I have argued in favour of the 3-4 player core set expansion. That's the route I would think FFG is most likely to consider. I don't think it will happen though.

I also feel like cards that didn't come in 3's are less likely to get errata because people who have bought multiple cores just for the powerful cards that don't come in 3's would cry a lot.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS