Arkham Horror Expansions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 FantasyNerd8

FantasyNerd8

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

Hey guys!I am new to Arkham Horror and fell in love. I have begun playing table top games like this with Talisman, in which I have all the expansions out. I was wondering if, like Talisman, Arkham Horror can be played using all expansions?

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,440 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:53 AM

Yes, it's certainly possible to play with all expansion is.

Is it recommended? That's another question. Some people like Arkham with all in, some others like enjoying a couple of exp max per game. Everything in gives you more options, and grants you most of the time very fast paced games. Not everything in grants you to taste flavour more, and you're not in such a hurry because you risk having a gate open every round.

What's the perfect mixture... it's really up to you!

In any case remember the game is modular: regardless of the number of exp you play, you can always play with all investigators, AOs, mixing all the small cards in, all the monsters and so on.

Congrats for getting the game! It's a huge (literally) universe of fun!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:50 AM

There's two varieties of all-in too.

I go all-in for the extras but I personally wouldn't advise you use more than two boards at once. Adding all three extra (official) boards is a very challenging proposition indeed, and this situation ( http://boardgamegeek...e?size=original ) is just asking for a headache!

Of course, adding everything can come at the expense of flavour - for instance, you might not see many encounters referring to the One of the Thousand cult or very few opportunities to acquire Exhibit Items, but it does make setting up a lot easier.

Incidentally, I find it easier to pull out the material that isn't in use as I play. So if I'm not using Dunwich and I get a gate for Wizard's Hill, I just redraw the Mythos card until I get one that isn't based in Dunwich.

Edited by Jake yet again, 14 August 2014 - 05:51 AM.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#4 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

FN8,

Julia and Jake have provided excellent advice and all I can add is that I play with every single expansion, both large and small boxes, in my games.  To Jake's point, they are much more difficult, but you get the flavor from all of them.

Cheers,

Joe 

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS