How can I run an event?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

My LGS has given me permission to do something more organized with one night a week for X-wing.  They have "X-Wing night" and different people show up each week and we have a good time. But I would like to do something more with it.  Any ideas how I can do that?

How would I go about running a free tournament each week?  What about a campaign?  I am off to google that after I hit post, but I wanted ideas from the folks who play the most...

Also, if you have something like this at your LGS, what's your favorite part?  How can I make this awesome?

#2 Introverdant

Introverdant

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

The main thing is to just communicate with the player base and get everyone on board and on the same page. 

Find out what timeframes people are willing/able to get together. 

#3 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:45 PM

The first thing to do is to find out what your local players want. Some might want more competitive play (tournaments), some might want more epic, others might want more mission-based narrative games.

EDIT: Ninja'd :ph34r:

EDIT2: Well, I guess I'm saying something slightly different.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein, 13 August 2014 - 06:46 PM.

#4 Parravon

Parravon

• Members
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:49 PM

I ran a tournament this past weekend where we had eight players. I just grabbed pairs of the ID tokens and threw them in a hat for the draw. When two players picked matching numbers, off they went. With the match scoring and the Margin of Victory points, we had three guys on 15 points but still had a clear winner after three rounds, which was all I wanted to run anyway. I was both player and TO, which wasn't a hassle.

See how many players you've got interested for a start and go from there.

Edited by Parravon, 13 August 2014 - 11:37 PM.

Rick

Hastings, New Zealand

3 X-Wing, 2 A-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 E-Wing, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300

3 TIE Fighters, 3 TIE Int, 1 TIE Adv, 1 TIE Bomber, 1 TIE Phantom, 1 TIE Defender, 1 Firespray-31

#5 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

Good advice so far.  My goal is to attract players to the store.  Parravon, I like that idea.  I just need to get 8 bodies in the shop.  There's already a tourney at another shop once a week, but I really believe that our shop is better.  Now, I just need to find a reason to draw people through the door.

#6 UnfairBanana

UnfairBanana

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:02 PM

My favorite part are the door prizes. We only have me and a couple of my friends that play and the shop hands out acrylic tokens. Since they're all using my ships, the tokens all come back to me :D

Rebels: 3 A-wings, 3 B-wings, 2 E-wing, 4 X-Wings, 2 Y- Wings, 2 Z-95s, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 GR-75 Space whale, 1 CR-90 Corvette

Empire: 6 TIE/LN, 4 TIE Interceptors, 2 TIE Bombers, 1 TIE Advanced, 2 TIE Defender, 2 TIE Phantom, 2 Firesprays, 1 Lambda

#7 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:34 PM

Just start setting up events. Prepare for them, publicize them and run them. Create a Facebook group and let people know about it. Print fliers and spread them around the game store, and have a stack of them on the tables where you play.

Make sure you have at least two days a week where X-Wing players can show up for open play -- at least one weeknight and one day on the weekend. Post that info on the store's Facebook page and in your Facebook group. Look for local MeetUp groups related to hobby gaming and a local Yahoo games groups and post there. In other words -- use the internet. Network.

If you get X-Wing players in the store, the store manager is going to notice an uptick in sales of their X-Wing stuff. That's going to make them more likely to let you fill up their game room.

In thinking about what I would want from a local X-Wing scene, I wanted frequent tournaments (once a month) as well as frequent fun scenario events. So every two weeks (usually on a Saturday afternoon) we have something going on, in addition to our regular open-play nights during the week.

For now, our tournaments will be three rounds with no byes, so everybody gets to play three games. (As the tournament organizer, I only get to play if there's an odd number of other players who show up. That means no byes.) First round pairings are randomized. Second and third round pairings are based on tournament score (win, loss, draw) and then ties are broken using margin of victory so everyone gets to play someone of roughly the same skill level. The overall winner is decided in the same way -- overall tournament score, with margin of victory as a tiebreaker. Everybody will receive a prize, even if it's just an acrylic token, with the top players getting something nicer.

Eventually, we may run a full tournament with elimination rounds, but I want to get at least a couple of three-round tournaments under my belt first. We'll probably run an Escalation tournament soon, and a no-mirror-matches tournament, before coming back to the standard format.

I'm also planning a lot of fun events in between tournaments. This week we're running an X-Wing racing event. Later, we'll do a Death Star Trench Run, Epic play (or maybe team Epic), and anything else that sounds like fun. If players know that you're the one organizing events, listen to what they want and find a way to schedule it.

For prizes, we're going to run through the summer 2014 FFG prize kit pretty quickly, so I've picked up some nice acrylic stuff from places like Applied Perspective, Cog O'Two, Litko and Team Covenant. I'll slowly pay myself back for those from entry fees, and any funds left over will go back into new prizes. Store credit and game mats are also good ideas for prizes.

We'll also probably start doing a little league campaign like this:

http://www.outworld-...ue-Campaign.pdf

Edited by DagobahDave, 14 August 2014 - 08:13 PM.

• Mikael Hasselstein and Osoling like this

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#8 Osoling

Osoling

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

We'll also probably start doing a little league campaign like this:

http://www.outworld-...ue-Campaign.pdf

Dave, I think this is perfect for what I was after.  It allows flexibility for when players come and go, allows them a choice about what they want to play, and creates variety.  May I use this?  The only thing I would add is a result slip so that only the shop owner or myself can keep tally of the points of players.  I would allow them to fill in maps themselves.

Permission to steal?

#9 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:16 PM

Steal away. :)

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS