• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

At least M'shen killed a primrach...

Who saw her comming and let her kill him...

Dammit assassins! y u no good?

#22 Marwynn

Marwynn

• Members
  • 406 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:24 PM

Well, we're pretty sure we helped the Inquisition out on Svard. Because there was this lady who had some associates. She flashed me something that looked like a rosette and was working with the Eldar.

I mean... we took it at face value.

We gave her one of the captured Rak'Gol (the torn apart one) and freed the system from the Yu'Vath (that my character's ancestor put there).

I'm getting a real bad feeling here.

• Decessor, Erathia, Trailblazer and 1 other like this

The Gathering Strom  - A Chronicle of Intrigue, Space Battles, Planetary Invasions, and Dinner Parties

The Blessed Enterprise - Flagship of the Strom Dynasty / Reception Hall

Into the Strom - Venture into the secrets of the Strom Dynasty! 

#23 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:40 PM

That actualy made me think of something...

How does the average imperial citizen* know what an inquisitorial rosette looks like?

What DOES it look like for that matter?  A stylised letter "I" but is that with a skull on it or not?

I assume planetary governors and arbites and such individuals know what it looks like, but what is it exaclty? could it be forged? could I go around waving my rosette* in some merchants face and tell me to give me his best wares because the fate of the imperium depends upon it?

I do suspect that if the real inquisition finds out they will not be happy. i imagine they put people caught pretending to be inquisitors in the torture room they normaly reserve for dark eldar...

* I am aware of how dirty that sounds...

Edited by Robin Graves, 20 August 2014 - 05:41 PM.

#24 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

I dunno, I can think of a few notable cases where Assassins are successful in the fluff, outside of their old mini-dex.

As for Inquisitors. I'm not sure if I have one on my ship, or if he's just a heretic (or both). We have an arrangement of convenience, he's going to share what he finds with me, I give him some space to work (and some of the crew occasionally)...

I haven't decided if I'm going to kill him sooner or later.

Edited by Blood Pact, 20 August 2014 - 08:42 PM.

#25 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:20 PM

I would be shocked if the average citizen knows what an Imperial Rosette is, but the average Inquisitor is also smart enough to recognise that a rosette alone isn't going to impress people. A retinue of Stormtroopers or a Cruiser in Exterminatus orbit is enough to back their point up.

There are probably con artists who pretend, to be Inquisitors, but there have to be systems in place to take care of that, and it's probably an instant priority case for the Ordo Hereticus.

• Decessor likes this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#26 javcs

javcs

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:19 PM

Remember, a Rosette isn't just a paperweight. It also has a collection of Inquisitorial identification and override codes and ciphers, etc. Any Arbites Precint Fortress - any Imperial Adeptus Terra facility with functioning tech and lay-technicians, really, and probably any Imperial Ship - would be able to verify that a Rosette is really a Rosette and the bearer is really the Inquisitorial Representative they say they are.

However ... part of the process is the Inquisition's reputation. They Do Not Approve when someone claims to be an Inquisitor who isn't the Inquisitor they say they are. For that matter, in DH's Daemon Hunter sourcebook, there's a fluff bit wherein an Ordo Sicarius(I think) Inquisitor who pretended to be an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor got executed for impersonating an Inquisitor.

The vast majority of people wouldn't even dare to consider impersonating an Inquisitor.

Also, if you're going to impersonate an Inquisitor, and get away with it for any amount of time, you're going to need to be very careful with how and what you do with your false authority. And, of course, if you ever get exposed, the Inquisition will promptly place a very large price on your head, dispatch Imperial Assassins, Imperial Navy assets, their own ships, and quite possibly raise up a Rogue Trader Warrant with the condition of bringing you and ship in to be made an example of and seize all your assets. All depending on what you've done and how well resourced you are.

Even Chaos doesn't impersonate Inquisitors much - Chaos may draw Inquisitors into Radicalism and Heresy, but that's a fallen Inquisitor (whose radicalism and heresies may or may not have been exposed yet), not a falsified Inquisitor. There is a difference and it does matter.

• Decessor and filliman like this

#27 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:59 AM

Indeed. The start of 'Ravenor' has Carl Thonius flash Gideon's rosette in a magistratum precinct - the captain's first response is to reach into his desk and pull out a cogitator lead, connect it to the side of the rosette, swear, and confirm that it's genuine.

Pretty much any cogitator system the imperium manufactures will respond to a rosette's override. It's what makes dealing with rogue hereteks so dangerous - they're likely to have enough nous to build their own stuff and/or remove said overrides....

Even in Nemesis the assassins are successful quite a bit of the time. Occasions when they're thrown at Horus/Primarchs/Abaddon etc don't really count as that's not a normal target even by their standards....

#28 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 03:59 PM

Even Chaos doesn't impersonate Inquisitors much

That we know of ;-)

#29 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 787 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:20 AM

That we know of ;-)

It's much more efficient to make them think that they can use the powers of Chaos against itself and just flat out corrupt them.

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#30 javcs

javcs

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

That we know of ;-)

It's much more efficient to make them think that they can use the powers of Chaos against itself and just flat out corrupt them.

Exactly. Why go through the trouble of making everything you need to successfully pull off Inquisitorial Impersonation, when it's far easier and faster to corrupt or convert the Real Thing? Remember, only one thing needs to go wrong in impersonating an Inquisitor for your entire scheme to fall apart, whereas the Real Thing can get away with a lot more (and probably knows how), plus, y'know, has a pre-existing reputation to work with. A False Inquisitor requires constant upkeep to maintain, and an appalling amount of resources to start off.

Or rather, anyone who can arrange for a successful Inquisitorial Impersonation would find their time and resources better served acquiring a genuine Inquisitor (or more than one), who are then self-sustaining/maintaining assets, while anyone who can't get a genuine Inquisitor likely cannot successfully impersonate one.

• Decessor and Robin Graves like this

#31 ultrashake

ultrashake

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

Inquisitors can be an antagonistic and helpful source. Inquisitors are sually of the Alpha personality, look at Eisenhorn.

When he was on a rogue trader ship he appreciated but was immune to the rogue trader's flattery. He has is own goals and ambitions. Inquisitors will persue these ends regardless of the consequences to you, so make sure if you ally with them that your goals are inline with eachother and are mutually beneficial.

Because the Inquisition always wins, regardless.

"The endless dark of the universe is yours, if you but reach out to take it. Yield nothing—the void respects only strength." — Serren Travius, Rogue Trader

#32 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

I think Inquisitors are a great character in Rogue Trader games, due to two distinct advantages.  

1) they're on the same level, and in many ways similar to Rogue Traders.  Both are powerful individuals often with great resources and arcane technologies at their command and and advanced understanding of uncommon (or proscribed) knowledge.  Both are largely independent of the greater Imperial Feudal Framework.  Both often have numerous simultaneous goals and plots running, often based on the careful application of inducted servants.  

2) Unlike fellow rogue traders, however, an Inquisitor's goal and a Rogue Trader's goal are often complementary, rather than contradictory.  Many inquisitors would be happy to let a Rogue Trader claim the glory and profit in exchange for dealing with the danger of a particular overt situation.  A Rogue Trader looking to unload a demon-bound sword might find the Inquisiton a safer hand for it to end up in.  Inquisitors often have reasonable access to rewards that might be difficult for a Rogue Trader, such as requisitioning a company of Astra Militarum or a long concealed tome with the location of a cursed wreck.

Most inquisitors aren't total self-focused assholes and generally a Rogue Trader; who has both the right and the strength of will to deal with the horror of the mutant, the demon, and most certainly the alien; is very low on an Inquisitor's list of potential threats to the Imperium.  Particularly if they've been friendly in the past.

Aside: While this is by no means official, in my campaign I noted that (at least in the calixis sector) Lord Inquisitor is used to refer to an Inquisitor who has chosen to operate openly as a member of the Inquisition.  Just using Inquisitor refers to a member who's name remains unconnected with her inquisitorial nature.  This was mostly because I needed something to call different people.

Edited by Quicksilver, 27 August 2014 - 05:06 PM.

90% of the time I'm posting without access to rulebooks.  Unless I say otherwise, assume everything is I.I.R.C.

#33 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

Unless both the RT and the inquisitor want the same piece of Xeno tech...

Then the politics start. And with politics i mean assassinations.

And with assassinations i mean: vortex grenades, poison blades, explosive decompression, eversor assassins, ships firing on one another, bombs, chaos, dogs and cats living together, reprogrammed servitors, power sword duels, alien weapons firing, psychic blasts, bee shooting scorpions (don't ask), in other words... Mayhem!

Edited by Robin Graves, 27 August 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#34 Quicksilver

Quicksilver

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Oh, how hast thou with jealousy infected
The sweetness of affiance! Show men dutiful?
Why, so didst thou. Seem they grave and learnèd?
Why, so didst thou. Come they of noble family?
Why, so didst thou. Seem they religious?
Why, so didst thou. Or are they spare in diet,
Free from gross passion or of mirth or anger,
Constant in spirit, not swerving with the blood,
Garnished and decked in modest complement,
Not working with the eye without the ear,
And but in purgèd judgment trusting neither?
Such and so finely bolted didst thou seem.
And thus thy fall hath left a kind of blot
To mark the full-fraught man and best endued
With some suspicion. 

(Henry the V, Shakespeare)

Edited by Quicksilver, 28 August 2014 - 09:59 AM.

• Alasseo and Nameless2all like this

90% of the time I'm posting without access to rulebooks.  Unless I say otherwise, assume everything is I.I.R.C.

#35 Robin Graves

Robin Graves

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

I always had the idea that the original line went: "And thus thy fall has left thou as a kind of blot upon the pavement below." :)

• Alasseo likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS