Starter Decks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 whywing

whywing

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:35 PM

Hello everyone, I was wondering if I could get some help with some decks to use as starting points to the game. There is a great thread on CardgameDB right now that I am referencing but they are limiting their decks to 2xCore and 2xEoD. I understand the reasoning but I do have every expansion released for this game so I was wondering if a larger card pool would help level the playing field. 

I haven't played in a few months and when I did play it was never competitively so I would just throw decks together and have a good time. Now I would like to have some decks built that are more evenly matched so I can introduce people to the game and hopefully generate some interest in my area.

I am hoping to keep the decks mono affiliation for now for ease of teaching, if you have any ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks for any help in advance!

#2 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

For starter decks, you shouldn't necessarily need Edge of Darkness, unless you want to run Smuggler or Scum decks (with the possible exception of Imperial Blockade, none of the Core affiliations' sets are iconic enough to warrant a player's first introduction to the game). I recommend focusing it within 2x Core Set, because if the players like the decks they're playing, you want them to be able to rebuild them once they purchase their own product. That said, I prefer having a deck for all four Core Set affiliations in order to maximize a player's initial enjoyment of the game. Usually there is only one person interested when I first arrive, so I have them oppose me, and if someone else shows interest during the course of our game I allow them to switch places with me. To begin the teaching session, I place one of each side's Force cards before the player, asking them to choose a side of the Force. Once they've made their choice, I place both of the chosen side's affiliation cards before them and say something like, "Will you use the daring tactics of the Rebel Alliance to overthrow the corrupt Empire, or will you learn the ways of the Jedi and confront the sinister powers of the dark side?" Whatever they choose, I go with the "opposite" deck (Sith vs. Jedi, Empire vs. Rebels). I avoid The Emperor's Web in favor of The Heart of the Empire, because while Palpatine is certainly more iconic Star Wars than Coruscant, his multiple tactics icons can be frustrating for new players (and, quite frankly, me as well). If his artwork had that infamous shot of him descending his shuttle's landing ramp, I might've not made this judgment call. :P

Here's what I use:

SITH

2x Counsel of the Sith

2x Cruel Interrogations

2x Fall of the Jedi

2x The Emperor's Web

2x The Heart of the Empire

IMPERIAL NAVY

2x Death and Despayre

2x Imperial Command

2x Take Them Prisoner

2x The Endor Gambit

2x The Ultimate Power

JEDI

2x A Hero's Journey

2x Forgotten Heroes

2x In You Must Go

2x Last Minute Rescue

2x The Secret of Yavin 4

REBEL ALLIANCE

2x Fleeing the Empire

2x Mission Briefing

2x Mobilize the Squadrons

2x The Defense of Yavin 4

2x The Rebel Fleet

Edited by MarthWMaster, 13 August 2014 - 02:53 PM.

• Budgernaut likes this

#3 GroggyGolem

GroggyGolem

• Members
  • 747 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

REBEL ALLIANCE

2x Fleeing the Empire

2x Mission Briefing

2x Rebel Assault

2x The Defense of Yavin 4

2x The Rebel Fleet

Rebel Assault isn't the name of any Objective from the Core Set, just the name of an Event card.

Did you mean Mobilize the Squadrons?

• MarthWMaster likes this

Rebels: 3 X-Wing, 1 Y-Wing, 1 A-Wing, 1 B-Wing, 1 YT-1300

Imperials: 5 TIE/LN, 1 TIE/ADV, 1 TIE/IN, 1 Firespray-31

#4 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

That's indeed what I meant. Whoops!

#5 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

Marth's decks are good and I like his point about wanting the new players to have easy access to the decks you teach with. If you show them a kick-butt deck and they find out they need 2x Core, 2x Edge of Darkness, and 3 more Force packs, it could be a little intimidating.

Additionally, I'm finding that the newer cards are much more niche in their strategy than the Core cards, so it's easier to make decks that focus on only one thing (like controlling the Force vs. controlling the board vs. complete aggression). Sure, the Core cards have a little of that too, but I feel like the Core cards can do any of those depending on how you play. The reason is because of how the objective sets were defined.

You could create some Hoth decks to get into the iconic battle, but I'm not sure how balanced it will be. You'd have to tweak it.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#6 Elkerlyc

Elkerlyc

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 10:30 AM

This is what was recommended to me.

And I enjoy the decks very much.

Variety is all well and fine but first you need to truly understand the game(flow) and 2x core with these decks will do this if you give it enough play.

Then and only then look for expansions.

RebelCore

This set will teach you some rebel ships and rush basics. Be sure to learn which cards to use for edge (trench run) and which to play from each set. Mobilize the Squadrons should help you generate some nice income each turn. And you can master putting damage on an opponents objective then killing it during their turn with 4 Rebel Assaults. This is a key play in almost any rebel vehicles deck. Mon Mothma's set can help you learn about defensive card advantage as well as damage attrition with two enhancements that cause unit damage and two heat of battles.

JediSmugglerCore

This will teach you the basics of a LS character deck. You'll also learn the keys to using Protectors (Guardian of Peace), and event cancel (C3p0 and Counter-stroke). You'll get to learn resource matching and play with a fun Han solo set that has lots of tricks. This is also your targeted strike deck with two units (Han and Luke) that can teach you how to effectively use this keyword on offense. You'll also get to try out Twist of Fate in edge battles.

SithCore

This will be your into to Sith control, you'll learn about reactions with Vader and Palpatines second ability as well as card advantage with Counsel of the Sith. Be sure to figure out the best objectives to keep up from your opening draw of 4 as some should be avoided (Heart of the Empire). Learn how to stay defensive only killing key objectives then control the force (and the board). Learn about reserve value with a neutral objective.

ImperialCore

This deck is your intro into aggro Navy. Lots of strong cards like Devastator and such. You'll see how much card advantage matters when you can afford to dump you hand each turn it's not always the best move. You'll also learn about multi objective synergy. (Using the AT-ST's from Endor Gambit with Kuat reinforcements can help cycle or keep up your card advantage). Swarm the board and your opponents.

Edited by Elkerlyc, 24 August 2014 - 10:31 AM.

History teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS