Ditching classes.

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 Caliber42

Caliber42

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:12 AM

Curious if anyone has removed the class system from the game and allowed players to more freely customize their characters by selecting specialization trees and skills as they wish?

How'd it work out?

-Cal

#2 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:35 AM

NO no no... I saw this , participated in one game that did this. Minimaxers/MMO mindset.

Needless to say i no longer play in that group.

• Aluminium Falcon likes this
Obsidian Portal:Unforeseen Fates

#3 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

There aren't set in stone classes in the game.  Anyone can advance into anything they like, it's simply a matter of xp.  The issue for some is one of patience and time, not lack of access.  The intent is to slow progression and lengthen the life of the campaign.  If a group wants to speed things up there is nothing preventing a group from doing that, but just giving everyone access to everything becomes a very monochromatic, bland experience, quickly I would guess.

• awayputurwpn, whafrog, cvtheoman and 5 others like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#4 KevynnRedfern

KevynnRedfern

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:53 AM

It seems that all that would be gained by this is hyper specialization where the players cherry pick only the best talents/skills from multiple trees.  I guess you could do that, but since everything is open to every character, regardless of career... why not just give them enough experience to do it?  Instead of running a game where the players start as beginning characters, with only character creation experience, just give them a couple thousand experience each, 100K credits each, and let them min max their end-game level MMO Star Wars guys/gals into existence however they see fit.

If that is what they want, and you are willing to do it; it is your table, have a grand old time.  Personally, I do not see the point or the benefit, other than more power for lower XP totals, which is the worst kind of gaming min-maxing, since the players are literally asking to break the rules to min-max even more.

Kevynn

Edited by KevynnRedfern, 13 August 2014 - 09:53 AM.

• just_chris and cvtheoman like this

#5 Enoch52

Enoch52

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:09 AM

There aren't set in stone classes in the game.  Anyone can advance into anything they like, it's simply a matter of xp.  The issue for some is one of patience and time, not lack of access.  The intent is to slow progression and lengthen the life of the campaign.  If a group wants to speed things up there is nothing preventing a group from doing that, but just giving everyone access to everything becomes a very monochromatic, bland experience, quickly I would guess.

That's not accurate: once you choose a class you keep that class throughout the game, and can't gain another.  You can gain additional specializations, which can open up new Talents and reduce the cost of some skills, but what class you are still matters.  In particular, it provides 2/3rds of your low-cost skills (at least until you buy a second specialization), lowers the cost of buying other specs in the same class, and sets what your Signature Abilities may be.

That said, I think the classes are a good thing.  There's a huge amount of overlap already, given how inexpensive advancement is compared to most systems.  The classes are useful just for concept alone.

Edited by Enoch52, 13 August 2014 - 10:11 AM.

• knasserII and KJDavid like this

#6 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

All of the skills can ultimately be accessed by taking enough additional specializations, the only thing selecting a career locks you into is the signature ability in that career.
  • whafrog, Krieger22, KevynnRedfern and 3 others like this

My group's Obsidian Portal campaign site: It's All in the Trigger Squeeze  and D&D 5E  Swords for Adventure

#7 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:18 AM

Wow, the hyperbolic "BUT IT'S NOT RAW" is strong in this thread.

My thoughts:

Post character creation:  Just open it up.  No classes, no specs.

Limited to only buying 3 Ranks of any Ranked Talents unless a Specific Tree has more than three Ranks within it and every Rank is purchased from within that Tree.  No crossing between genres (EotE and AoR).

Allows a non-combat "Support" character like the one I'm playing in my game to pick up a few things from across a few different specs, our Smuggler could become a better Trader... etc.

Will the combat munchkin go completely bat-crap crazy with the munchkinism?  Sure.  Was he going to do this anyway?  Yup, just slightly slower.

As it stands only 2 things stop someone from picking up  6 levels of True Aim (the ultimate in munchkinsim); 1 - The ST, 2 - The Players.

No, 70 exp to pick up the other 2 spec trees isn't even a speed bump.  And just wait till it shows up in a few more splatbooks...

#8 Enoch52

Enoch52

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Wow, the hyperbolic "BUT IT'S NOT RAW" is strong in this thread.

I don't see any "it's not RAW" argument going on.  The OP asked if it was a good idea, and every single poster that said no explained why.

All of the skills can ultimately be accessed by taking enough additional specializations, the only thing selecting a career locks you into is the signature ability in that career.

Heck, you don't even need to take additional specs to access any skill in the game.  However, your career does affect the XP cost of a character pretty profoundly; non-class skills are more expensive, as are specs outside your career.  And to access Talents outside your spec you will have to buy a new one.

But yes, with unlimited XP skill cost is not relevant.

• awayputurwpn, whafrog, KevynnRedfern and 2 others like this

#9 KevynnRedfern

KevynnRedfern

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:27 AM

As 2P51 said, all this does is take away the lock down of signature abilities.  Everything else is simply Experience points.

How do you handle signature abilities if you take away career?  Still allow them, but any signature ability can be attacked to any specialization?  Only signature abilities from the Career the specialization belongs to may be purchased?  Can you purchase more than one signature ability?  Can you purchase more than one signature ability from more than one Specialization?

If doing this makes you happy, go for it.  For me, personally, it takes away some of the identity of the characters.  Most of the gains can be offset simply by giving experience.

Kevynn

• whafrog, Ranger1060 and GL309 like this

#10 Enoch52

Enoch52

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

EDIT: Removed

Edited by Enoch52, 13 August 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#11 Enoch52

Enoch52

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:36 AM

As 2P51 said, all this does is take away the lock down of signature abilities.  Everything else is simply Experience points.

Everybody seems to be assuming experience points don't matter.  They do.  That's why there's an XP penalty for non-career skills and buying new specs.  Heck, that's the reason you have to buy skills at all.

I'm not saying removing careers is bad, but Signature Abilities are the least consequential change to come from that.  The biggest thing is that you change how XP works.  For example, the cost of career skills: do you say that only skills in a spec you own are career skills (and eliminate the ones from career)?  Are all skills now career skills?  Some third option?  It also affects the cost of buying new specs--you pay a penalty for buying outside your career.  If you're going to eliminate careers, you need to consider the effects.

#12 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 2,061 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Yeah, I have seen this done; you could do a search in these boards and turn something up. 

I don't think it's beneficial or necessary...you end up having to re-balance a bunch of costs of stuff, and lose SO much flavor. 

+5 and +10 XP to some costs to modify your character into your vision for them isn't bank-breaking. IMO, the game makes sense the way it is, including career and non-career XP costs.

• Doc, the Weasel, whafrog, KevynnRedfern and 2 others like this

#13 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:15 AM

From a GM standpoint this sounds about as fulfilling as pushing a paraplegic down a flight of stairs. But hey, one jawas trash is another's treasure. 

• whafrog, Lorne, Krieger22 and 2 others like this

#14 2P51

2P51

• Members
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

The once per session aspect of Signature Abilities limits them regardless of any other considerations so they really aren't a factor.  You do have access to everything, it just costs more in xp the way the advancement system is laid out.  So in a sense the only real limitation is the xp you burn.  A character can get to the exact same place whether there is a rigid career system or a come as you are party for skills, it's just a matter of time and xp spent.

• KevynnRedfern, GMmL, Ranger1060 and 1 other like this

#15 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:51 AM

I'm wondering, what is the up-side to doing this? You can already make all the politico/doctor/pilot/marauder combos you want to your heart's content. It seems like the only advantage is that characters save XP from buying into other specs. 

If you went totally freeform like this, I would eliminate career skills and have them all cost the same as non-career to compensate. Otherwise you are ultimately just giving players more XP. 

• awayputurwpn, KevynnRedfern, sonovabith and 1 other like this

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#16 Lorne

Lorne

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:55 AM

From a GM standpoint this sounds about as fulfilling as pushing a paraplegic down a flight of stairs.

That is insulting . . . to people who push paraplegics down flights of stairs.

• Daeglan, GMmL, Ranger1060 and 1 other like this

#17 evileeyore

evileeyore

• Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:56 AM

That's my take on it.

How do you handle signature abilities if you take away career?

I'll probably be dissallowing non-Core Specializations and the Signature abilities.

Makes it simple, keeps the "man I wish the Technician book was out" grumbling from happening every time the Hired Gun blows a Destiny Point and murders a planet's worth of Minions...

Everybody seems to be assuming experience points don't matter.

They do if your running a short or medium length campaign. How many EXP do you think you'll hand out?

50? 100? 200?

Then yes, "keeping it RAW" will certainly limit things. Can the Hired Gun still get 4 ranks in True Aim? On 200 Exp it's impossible.*

On 400 (30-40 sessions, less than one game per week for a year) then he most certainly can and probably will.

Is this changed if you "toss out Classes and out Of Class Rules"? Yeah, he can probably get his cheese with 200 exp.*

Unless you keep it limited to EotE... and then it's the Trando Marauder-Doctors you have to watch out for... (who is still ludicrously easy to build)

* I checked the math. It's 230 exp to get all 4 True Aims with Hired Gun Mercenary Soldier and Ace Gunner...

It's 180 for Soldier Sharpshooter and Ace Gunner...

To Simplify:
Soldier Sharpshooter costs 75 EXP for both True Aims.
Ace Gunner costs 75 EXP for both True Aims.
Hired Gun (gets screwed) costs 125 for both True Aims.
+ 30 EXP for the first Out Of Class Spec, and 40 for the second...

So BTB your average Munchkin should start as an Ace or a Soldier. Even just going from Soldier to Ace, he can skim the bottom most level of the Gunner spec and grab a lot of good Talents for pretty cheap.

Edited by evileeyore, 13 August 2014 - 12:01 PM.

#18 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:35 PM

Hired Gun (gets screwed) costs 125 for both True Aims.

I think you mean that Hired Guns have to buy additional, useful talents to get that many ranks of True Aim. 

• awayputurwpn, Lorne, Jamwes and 1 other like this

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#19 KevynnRedfern

KevynnRedfern

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think for me, the big question, is what Caliber42 is looking to gain by removing careers, and how he is planning on compensating for whatever he chucks out the window.  It seems like an awful lot of GM work to try and rebalance things, or handle the minutiae of a buy anything you want thing, for the simple gain of allowing players to hit whatever they want for skills and talents will less XP spent...

#20 Lorne

Lorne

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

This game has one of the best class systems I've ever seen -- not too restrictive, nor too loose.  I'd happy port this sweet-spot over to other games before spacing it.

Edited by Lorne, 13 August 2014 - 12:45 PM.

• awayputurwpn, Doc, the Weasel, Krieger22 and 5 others like this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS