It's Official: 3rd Ed is done

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

Enemy Within is sort of the granddaddy of the collection, imo. It takes some work to smooth over some rough patches but the opportunity for a great, long-run campaign is certainly there.

+1

• JA_42 likes this

#42 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

While not shocked or surprised by this news and I am glad that FFG have finally made the announcement, due to FFG production of other GW licences both fantasy and 40k by FFG I very much doubt they will do anything with WFRP line until at least the end of this decade, if the maintain the licence for that length of time. While I feel what FFG did with 3rd edtion was a great new take on how RPG mechanics can work, I really wish they did not do there experiment with this line. I love 3rd/2nd and I enjoyed what experience with 1st I have had, but all FFG have achieved by taking over this licence was splitting the community with edition wars to produce the least comprehensive edition we have seen yet.

I was angry when FFG took over the 2nd edition licence mainly because regardless of FFG's production quality there shipping to Europe (cost wise, retail or personal, and in terms of delays) is utterly awful, leading to massive delays on products that are at noticeably higher prices from what they are sold at in the US. Then FFG stopped production of WFRP 2e after 2 releases, now as far as I am concerned 2nd edition was the only edition that really produced all the core content and was able to start looking at other areas in the old world, which was a travesty to stop it. But to stop it for what turned out to be an experiment, in which they produced a new edition starting from scratch at a far higher product cost than I have ever seen in an RPG. The experiment failed from a profits prospective, so what we got was maybe equivalent in depth 2 a 10th (if i'm generous) to what we had previously, seriously I do not check my 3ed books for lore on anything as I know my 2nd edition ones will have 20x the amount of information.

I am angry FFG could dare call this a full filled product line, seriously they must be joking and what's worse is that it cost more than my entire 2nd edition collection by miles. All I can say is that while I want to support a future edition of my fav RPG setting, I will not do so in my current state of mind if FFG is near it with a barge pole. To summarise all FFG have achieved in my opinion is A) splitting the WFRP community, B) Cancelled a really well developed product line for the setting to replace it with a failed experiment. C) Spent several years doing nothing with said licence, and currently unprofitable product line. D) Turned a Successful product line into a unsuccessful one meaning other companies will be weary of taking it on and developing products in the future...

I realise that was some what incoherent, I am frustrated that FFG wasted my time but more I am angry at myself I let them. All I can say is I hope, I really hope they give the line to someone else who actually cares about it, rather than there profit margin...

• Galain likes this

The Question of Khaine

"A God named Khaine, A God of Murder and death and bloodshed, only the willfully blind could not see this is none other than the Blood Lord Himself, cloaked in one of his many guises to beguile and trick those who might otherwise repel him!"

-The Liber Chaotica

#43 Vaeron

Vaeron

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:55 PM

I liked 3e, but no one ever wanted to play it with me. I stopped buying stuff (except for Enemy Within) about the time of the Tzeentch expansion. I finally finished my 2e collection recently, and I have had a couple of successful outings with that. Consequently, I would like to see the game trend back in that direction. I liked the idea of the dice, but they became so hard to acquire at one point that it became almost an even bigger barrier to entry than the pricetag.

• ElCommi and Galain like this

#44 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

I like 3d, we've had (and are still having) a great time with the game and my gaming group loves the system. We've played over 150 sessions total, and more are coming. We seldom feel anything is missing, except an elf box (with high, wood and dark elves).

It's so easy to convert almost anything to 3d so for me it really doesn't matter if something is from 1st, 2nd or 3d edition, so I can use the whole range of books from all editions for adventures, fluff and so on.

So I just want to thank FFG for a great game, I am sad to see it go.

(They could have been quicker in releasing the news though.)

• valvorik, Johann Rowlocks and GMmL like this

#45 Daedalum

Daedalum

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 04:46 AM

Yep, very glad to have this unique game in the collection. The kinetic immediacy of tokens and cards realy speaks to the visual learner/player such as myself. But it has come at a price - and a logisitcal limit as to what can actually be lugged to the table. I don't know if I could have justified investing in many more expansions.

What i would LOVE is a big selectable text pdf of ALL the cards. Then I could rebuild the game for myself in a much more playable browser format for tablet.

#46 Ludlov Thadwin of Sevenpiecks

Ludlov Thadwin of Sevenpiecks

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 11:02 AM

Too bad... I wonder if I should get The Enemy Within now before it's too late...

• Emirikol likes this

www.audioepics.com

#47 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Is it already sold out?

We've enjoyed it

#48 Vaeron

Vaeron

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Too bad... I wonder if I should get The Enemy Within now before it's too late...

I would recommend that you do. 

• JA_42 and Johann Rowlocks like this

#49 thePREdiger

thePREdiger

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:58 AM

RIP 3rd Edition

• JA_42 likes this

#50 UniversalHead

UniversalHead

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

Sad, but inevitable, news.

This has prompted me to write a little article about WFRP for my Esoteric Order of Gamers site (www.orderofgamers.com) which will be up at the end of the week, and I'll finally get around to putting up my rules summary and reference sheets again (they'll also be some useful campaign reference sheets).

• Emirikol, d6 Evil Men, socratim and 2 others like this

#51 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

U.H., that's the best news I've heard in 3 years :)

#52 Vaeron

Vaeron

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:40 AM

This has prompted me to write a little article about WFRP for my Esoteric Order of Gamers site (www.orderofgamers.com) which will be up at the end of the week

I spent the last hour on youtube Liking videos on painting Mansions of Madness figures from the Esoteric Order. So now I have a strange feeling of not-quite-deja-vu-but-something-like-it. :P

#53 UniversalHead

UniversalHead

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:33 PM

I'm everywhere! ;)

#54 Johann Rowlocks

Johann Rowlocks

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:40 PM

Well, I enjoyed the hell out of this game, and plan to for some years to come. If the next licensee is smart, they will find a half way point between 2nd and third and start with the Elf supplement that NO edition ever supported...

• Emirikol likes this

#55 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

Is it already sold out?

We've enjoyed it

I'm awaiting a copy of The enemy Within as we speak (Dispatched already).

I'm having real trouble locating Lure of Power. My partner has ordered a copy form 3 different web stores only to hear a few days later they never had a copy to sell!

All I am missing is Lure of Power/Hero's Call, (and two guides). But so far, Lure of Power seems nigh impossible to source.

#56 Kogan Style

Kogan Style

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

I have an order with Wayland for Lure of Power, 7 days in and still no dispatch. I am becoming less hopeful 

• ElCommi likes this

#57 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

I'd call them to be honest.
I've used Wayland in the past to order WFB stuff. They don't actually stock a lot of things- they list is as available, then dispatch once they receive it from the supplier. Once I waited 3 months for a Tau Hammerhead due to "awaiting dispatch" (despite being listed as in stock)- when I could have walked to my local GW and picked it up then and there within a week.
They indicated they had a lot of people ordering the same items and there was a delay getting it from supplier. After a little investigation, I learned it was very common for them to not hold stock in their shop but list it as available, and order from the supplier when they had demand. (sometimes though the discount is worth the wait)

My partner checked with Element Games, they said "Available- Ordered from Supplier" before we placed the order, I got her to call to check and they called us back saying the supplier had none. As there's only 1 official UK supplier, I wouldn't place any bets on getting any.

If our current order falls though, I'm likely to order from the USA - I think Paizo has a few in stock. ($65 inc delivery to UK), which works out at around £40-45. Hopefully I'll avoid customs charges.

• Kogan Style likes this

#58 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

If problems persists with the availability and deliveries contact me in a month. I have everything digitalised.

• ElCommi and Kogan Style like this

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#59 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:49 AM

Might be worth looking on Esdevium games for UK retailers that could have stock, they are the wholesaler who seems to bring most Gaming relating stuff in from what I can tell.

• ElCommi likes this

The Question of Khaine

"A God named Khaine, A God of Murder and death and bloodshed, only the willfully blind could not see this is none other than the Blood Lord Himself, cloaked in one of his many guises to beguile and trick those who might otherwise repel him!"

-The Liber Chaotica

#60 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:54 AM

I live in N. Ireland. I don't think we have any gaming shops left! (The two I know both closed down this year). The alternative is Forbidden Planter Int. And whilst the staff are very helpful, they often don't supply a lot of stuff. (Though, they still do have a copy of the Core set, but I think it's retailing around £79. ish)

Luckily, my partner got a confirmation dispatch email today for Lure of Power - (Amazon seller Gamesworld UK - a german company..).
Amazon has a few listings still - but the price is definitely creeping up.

With luck LoP and Empire Within will arrive shortly. Then I'm just missing Hero's Call!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS