• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:12 AM

I gave myself some time to comment on this, but I don't think I can say this kindly: ..only chumps hold a license hostage for 2-3 years not actually producing anything new, and brag about all the stuff that they put out years ago with a giant picture of old products.  I'm grateful for the production that existed, the few at FFG that may have cared, and the "finally" FAQ/Errata/List release, but they should have put this to bed years ago instead of sitting in the license like Nurgle on his piles..and if the the license is held hostage even longer..well, we all have our own slang words for that.

Not to alarm anyone, but typically when a license is up, the forums are removed and a company may no longer release support materials (for an example:  look at Mongoose and the CONAN line).  You will be able to access old posts through the Internet Wayback Machine.  It doesn't store old FILES or PICTURES however.  You will also lose your ability to get print on demand (POD) releases once the license has been relinquished.

There are the Google+ forums, Prediger forums, and Strike to Stun if you want some purity.

[shaking my head shamefully]  25 years of production, and FFG not only kills it off, but then sits on the license and has the audacity to brag about it ...    

throwing-up.gif

jh

Edited by Emirikol, 13 August 2014 - 10:19 AM.

• ElCommi and GMmL like this

#22 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:32 AM

It's not certain the forums close, we'll have to see.  But yes, if they do move to strike-to-stun.

Oh and to the chance of future adventures referenced above, I take that as more the designers personally saying they will continue to write and play adventures in this system not that FFG will as FFG is saying "no official content".

What we can hope is that the designers and writers' "personal work" makes it's way into the public's hands the way certain personal work of those involved in past editions has done.

Also it does sadden me a bit when I see great adventure outlines published at various cons that are run but the adventures themselves never written up and published.

I do plan to eventually make sure everything I have done - Steward of Grauwerk, Favour for Fostenklauster, Averheim Electoral Crisis Sourcebook, the Southands work I continue on etc. are avaliable on scribd and am happy to have others post wherever they like.

Edited by valvorik, 13 August 2014 - 11:07 AM.

• Angelic Despot likes this

#23 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:59 AM

Jay,

Unfortunately the license, I suspect, is for both the Fantasy and the 40K products. Unfortunately the 40K have sold well but the Fantasy have not been such a success. That pretty much mirrors what is happening at GW. Until GW revamps the Fantasy product, there is no incentive for FFG to do anything. They are also hostage to GW's IP department as well.

Edited by ragnar63, 13 August 2014 - 10:59 AM.

• cronevald likes this

#24 syd3r

syd3r

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

About four months ago I ordered few supplements (Winds, Signs, Lure, Call, Omens). The wholesale is "unable to complete my order". I'm still waiting, but I guess I will never have them. I know, there is amazon, ebay etc. Shipping cost, customs duty, and euro/pound currency are almost doubling the price. For me, it's not an option.

Seems like my adventure with 3 edition will end before it even really started :(

#25 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Well, not surprise, but still - one more edition goes to history.

Sad thing is, that there will be, again, number of "Dark Years" before someone gets the license and starts actually building something new. And then we start from the beginning, again. Who knows with what rules and wait for the new fluff...

But, I've seen this before and Strike to Stun forum is still up and running. And it serves all the editions and much more. So, everyone, please join other WFRP-fans there.

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#26 r_b_bergstrom

r_b_bergstrom

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

But, I've seen this before and Strike to Stun forum is still up and running. And it serves all the editions and much more. So, everyone, please join other WFRP-fans there.

As long as we can all play nice together over there. I can't say they've made me feel welcome in the past, and I'm not looking forward to skimming through a lot of "we told you 3rd ed sucked, and now we feel validated" posts. Hopefully it'll be mostly "sucks that your game got retired, here's hoping for a 4th ed we can all enjoy!"   

Fingers crossed.

• cronevald, Emirikol, valvorik and 3 others like this

#27 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

As long as we can all play nice together over there. I can't say they've made me feel welcome in the past, and I'm not looking forward to skimming through a lot of "we told you 3rd ed sucked, and now we feel validated" posts. Hopefully it'll be mostly "sucks that your game got retired, here's hoping for a 4th ed we can all enjoy!"   

Fingers crossed.

May be it happens like with deceased people, nobody talks bad about deceased people.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#28 Desalus

Desalus

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

I don't believe these forums will go away since there are many older RPGs that still have FFG forums. They are still selling the WFRP 3e PDFs via drivethrurpg.com so I don't think we have anything to worry about unless FFG decides to not renew or loses the license to publish WFRP.

• valvorik likes this

#29 ElCommi

ElCommi

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:07 AM

For what's it's worth: https://www.youtube....jU20Fac1kSY#t=0

And the rumour thread:
http://www.warseer.c...r-future/page49

In short Nagash is back, everyone can field undead. In the next White Dwarf (weekly Warhammer hobby mag) Nagash faces off against a Tomb Kings army, by him self.

New Nagash campaign book.

#30 MaSc

MaSc

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:41 AM

I'm glad FFG made an official announcement, too. I'm sad there are no more new PODs, because I liked them so far.

I never missed supplements about elves and other realms, because for me Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay was always about playing in the Empire.

So the last real product was The Enemy Within. And I really enjoy playing the campaign and adding to it (thank you Valvorik and others).

• ElCommi likes this

#31 PiltharShokmeister

PiltharShokmeister

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:21 AM

Large, stinking crapweasel!

Disappointing news, but I'm relieved we are finally out of purgatory...

I'm totally intrigued now. Where is Warhammer Fantasy Battle headed?!
  • ElCommi likes this

#32 DurakBlackaxe

DurakBlackaxe

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:33 AM

Drats

I really wanted more spell options for the other god worshippers / Wizards.

But ever since EW came out, the game has died for content.

Hopefully player designed stuff still comes out.

#33 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:29 AM

Fingers crossed.

Well, I hope too we all can play nice there. ;) I do know what you mean - I've been involved with "couple" of really firestorms there. At the end - some of those "debates" there have been good ones too. But, it is a mix of different versions and some people have really strong opinions what is good and what is not.

Important thing is, that it would be place to ask if you need knowledge about any background fluff. And throw ideas and fan-rules. And version-based rules too. Enough room for everyone. AND serving everyone who likes WFRP.

Edited by jackdays, 14 August 2014 - 08:32 AM.

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#34 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Drats

I really wanted more spell options for the other god worshippers / Wizards.

But ever since EW came out, the game has died for content.

Hopefully player designed stuff still comes out.

Yes, for example taking the extended rank spells for schools that were done and using 2nd edition Realm of Sorcery one can benchmark and create/convert over 2nd edition spells for the schools that need them.

#35 PiltharShokmeister

PiltharShokmeister

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

Australasian doom and gloom, Games-Workshop style:

http://tencopper.com...line-retailers/

Interesting article.

#36 Eradico Pravus

Eradico Pravus

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

Australasian doom and gloom, Games-Workshop style:

http://tencopper.com...line-retailers/

Interesting article.

"In the grim darkness of 2014, there is only frustration"

Well, I guess there's a tiny bit of solace in that WFRP 3rd fans aren't alone.  :(

• Emirikol and Carcosa like this

#37 Carcosa

Carcosa

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

And boy am I glad I don't play WFB/W40K anymore, GW can buy a vowel for all I care. It's not the 80's anymore when if you wanted to Tabletop game there was Ancients or Warhammer, there is a plethora of games and systems out there now. To Quote Vader, epic rap battle style, they can suck on "Deez robot nutz"

• Johann Rowlocks likes this

#38 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

I'm really glad they finally made it official. But nothing in the announcement hints for a possibility of 4th edition in any foreseeable future. 

I'd like to thank FFG for taking the chance with this kind of new way to play the game. I think it will ripple through rpg system for quite a some time. I'm not that thankful for sitting on the news for this long though. 

• Emirikol, k7e9, Johann Rowlocks and 1 other like this

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#39 commuterzombie

commuterzombie

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:21 AM

Sad news, I stopped keeping up with releases just after Hero's Call when my group split - looks like I didn't miss much?

Would anyone recommend picking up the Enemy Within? I think if I were to get a group together again having a coherent campaign would be nice, last time I ran the individual adventures from the other expansions and Edge of Night which everyone enjoyed but it was a little disjointed. 

#40 GMmL

GMmL

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

Sad news, I stopped keeping up with releases just after Hero's Call when my group split - looks like I didn't miss much?

Would anyone recommend picking up the Enemy Within? I think if I were to get a group together again having a coherent campaign would be nice, last time I ran the individual adventures from the other expansions and Edge of Night which everyone enjoyed but it was a little disjointed. 

Enemy Within is sort of the granddaddy of the collection, imo. It takes some work to smooth over some rough patches but the opportunity for a great, long-run campaign is certainly there.

• Johann Rowlocks likes this

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS