Armada, a consolation Prize???

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

Is the Armada game a consolation prize for not could have the Star Destroyer in X-Wing, because the Scale???, or is planed to this way???, and why not get a battle in ground???, I think wiil be more interesting for example the Battle of Hoth, greetings

• oddeye and Hugo Y like this
"That the reward for you, don´t be so high".

Kaxel Vofer.

#2 AtomicFryingPan

AtomicFryingPan

• Members
  • 574 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:26 PM

I say we should wait and see how DnD attack wing does first because it has ground combat. If the system is good and makes money I bet we will see a ground version.
  • dojimaster and admiralcrunch like this

Rebel Fleet- 6 X-wings, 4 A-wings, 4 Y-wings, 3 B-Wings, 3 HWK-290, 1YT-1300, 3 E-wings, 3 Z95, 1 Transport, 1 Corvette.

Empire Fleet- 8 Tie Fighters, 2 Tie Adv, 4 Tie Int, 2 Tie Bombers, 2 Firespray, 1 Lambda Shuttle, 2 Defenders, 2 Phantoms

#3 Sithborg

Sithborg

• Members
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

Let's just wait and see what they unveil at Gencon.

#4 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:00 AM

I imagine this game was made to appease the capital ship fans who wanted a slice of the X-Wing pie. Not of course by jamming a huge ship down our throats and calling it a star destroyer, but crafting a game that serves capital ships with the respect their due in their own playing field. It's just unfortunate that it's so expensive... but at that price point my expectations are high for it to perform.

I want to know how expensive the expansions will be. I'm still excited for the release, but if the expansions peak over $30 then my enthusiasm might dampen some.

• dojimaster, Snowshadow, oneway and 3 others like this

#5 Magnus Grendel

Magnus Grendel

The Empire Needs You!

• Members
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:10 AM

Agreed. Ultimately, a 'capital ship game' in Star Wars isn't a capital ship game unless it has star destroyers in it. And an Imperial star destroyer's main docking back can swallow a CR90 - the biggest thing made for X-wing and one of the biggest gaming pieces in any miniatures game out there - whole. This means that practicality insists you can never have a proper star destroyer in X-wing without laughable scale issues.

I'm looking forward to it.

I expect the expansions will be more expensive - simply because they'll have their fighter wing in with ships. Be interesting to see by how much.

• Hrathen and oddeye like this

#6 oddeye

oddeye

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:24 AM

Agreed. Ultimately, a 'capital ship game' in Star Wars isn't a capital ship game unless it has star destroyers in it. And an Imperial star destroyer's main docking back can swallow a CR90 - the biggest thing made for X-wing and one of the biggest gaming pieces in any miniatures game out there - whole. This means that practicality insists you can never have a proper star destroyer in X-wing without laughable scale issues.

I'm looking forward to it.

I expect the expansions will be more expensive - simply because they'll have their fighter wing in with ships. Be interesting to see by how much.

me too brother, me too! I'm just surprised the fighters are pre painted as well.. hmm have to hold onto my paints and brushes after all. hehe.

I see your schwartz is as big as mine. Let's see how you handle it!

#7 Snowshadow

Snowshadow

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

I'm just surprised the fighters are pre painted as well.. hmm have to hold onto my paints and brushes after all. 

They are not exactly pre-painted. They are "presented in colors intended to complement their fleets" sooo grey for Imperials and white for alliance.

#8 Captain Lackwit

Captain Lackwit

HWK Pilot

• Members
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

*Gunmetal Grey and Beige.

"There's got to be a better way to make a living..." -Kyle Katarn
Resident HWK-290 Enthusiast, Trainee pilot. _\.o./_
Kills: |o| |o| |o| {o} {o} (o) >o<

STAR WARS: REBELS Discussion Thread

#9 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:17 PM

So we never see the Destroyer in X-Wing, greetings.

Kaxel Vofer.

#10 TheRealStarkiller

TheRealStarkiller

Scourge Of The Galaxy

• Members
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:19 PM

Of course not

• dojimaster likes this

Sir, rebel transports sighted \                              / Affirmative.                                                           

(-o-)  (-o-)    (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)     (-o-o-)    (-o-)  (-o-) 

Excellent! Gamma wing, prepare for torpedo run. We'll provide cover.

|-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   (<o>)   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   |-o-|   

#11 Microscop

Microscop

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

You want to see a ship bigger than the table itself on the table?

Wow

• Cannis0013 likes this

#12 TheTuninator

TheTuninator

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

A Star Destroyer would only have worked in X-Wing as a game mat with some scenario special rules and tokens to begin with. Armada's not a consolation prize; it's an intelligent use of the Star Wars IP to appeal to a different area of Star Wars fandom. 

• Snowshadow, Jetpack, Cannis0013 and 1 other like this

#13 RogueCorona

RogueCorona

• Members
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Some of us when we saw Return of the Jedi thought it would be cool to be flying like Lando, some of us thought it would be awesome to be commanding the fleet like Ackbar, Some of us thought both would be incredible..

The RPG lets us do all of the above. X-Wing lets us do the first thing in a different way then the RPG, and Armada lets us do the second in a different way then the RPG.

• Presskohle and Voodooking like this

#14 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

I never really wanted a Star Destroyer in X-wing.  I mean the CR-90 is already crazy.  There just isn't any way to fit a ISD into the X-wing Game.  I have always wanted a game like this.  When I saw Star Trek Attack Wing I saw how easy it would be.  Then I was very pleasantly surprised that Armada doesn't use the flight path system at all.

I don't know much about this new system, but I felt the same way when was reading forums about X-wing a year before it came out.  FFG proved to be excellent game designers.  They have my trust, and the fact that it is very different from what I have seen before excites me.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#15 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

I know the issue of size, but what happen if FFG get the option of relase the Star Destroyer instead the Tantive???, even with the change of the scale, greetings.

Kaxel Vofer.

#16 keroko

keroko

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 03:17 AM

I know the issue of size, but what happen if FFG get the option of relase the Star Destroyer instead the Tantive???, even with the change of the scale, greetings.

I... what? I'm not sure whether you're talking about Armada or X-wing here, but getting Star Destroyers in Armada is pretty much a given at this point.

#17 VaultDweller

VaultDweller

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

No it's not a consolation prize. It's a great new game (hopefully) that takes some parts from X-Wing and scales it up to capital ships. And forget about an ISD in X-Wing. It's just too big and relative scale for a ship that size would still be too big. It'll be something else and we'll all buy it. 

Thread closed. 

• admiralcrunch likes this

#18 Corellian Corvette

Corellian Corvette

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

Thread open!

Bump
  • catachanninja likes this

4 A-wings, 2 E-Wings, 6 X-wings, 2 Y-wings, 3 B-wing, 1 Z-95, 1 HWK-290, 1 YT-1300, 1 YT-2400, 1 GR-75, 1 CR90

1 Decimator, 3 TIE Fighters {o{} |o| {}o}

Favorite Lists: The B's (Oh God Not the B's!), Opticore

#19 Kaxel Vofer

Kaxel Vofer

• Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

Of course Armada is a great game, but I said that in X-wing we don't have a Star destroyer because the scale issue, so FFG  gives us like a consolation Price a Destroyer or similar in Armada, greetings.

Kaxel Vofer.

#20 Presskohle

Presskohle

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 08:10 PM

FFG already abandoed scale in favor of style (well done, btw!). Their official stance on big ships in X-Wing has been (paraprhasing) "not to scale, rather what feels right and works well for the game".

So i wouldn't abandon hope for a Star Destroyer yet. But I would certainly forget it being to scale. That'd be sheer insanity.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS