Shuttle Wishes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:13 PM

I think the Shuttle is in a decent spot right now, moderately balanced with a good amount of options.  Used statistically some of the time! 

However, with the newer ships and the change in the barrel roll for large ships, I was thinking that it would be okay to indulge in some wishful thinking for shuttle improvements.

Firstly, I think there should be at least some shuttle with an EPT.  Now that the barrel roll has been changed a bit, I think its okay to possibly see Expert Handling on the Shuttle.  It would greatly help its maneuverability. 

I think the Shuttle's dial is interesting and really useable, but it would be nice to see some cheaper options for more maneuverability.  Adv Sen and EngUp cost 7 points, and do nothing to help increase the firepower of the shuttle, which it sorely needs to be cost effective.  in this day and age of super maneverable ships, its also harder to force opponents to stay in the Shuttle's arc.  

(All that said, I tried a shuttle with EU vs some interceptors, and got trashed.  How do you guys fly this thing???  I tried zooming across the board to engage the other side too, but he was handily able to fly past my arc.  Planning on sticking to my known flying plan of slow flying and no EU.)

I also like pairing the shuttle with MORE ships, like backstabber and mauler and dark curse.  the added guys make it harder to avoid the shuttle's arc too.  

Apart form that, I want to see the uniques improved.  Changing howlrunners cost to more is hard, but you can easily make a shuttle reprint containing Jendon, Yorr, and Kagi for 1 or even 2 points less than they are now.  

They just aren't worth it.  The stats show it too.  Nothing but the OGP is used in tournaments.  Maybe Yorr shows up once in about 50 players.  Usually not the winning list either. 

Yorr is worded almost uselessly.  Can't be used against Jam or used with Soontir or Opportunist, which would be the best uses for him.  

So far he is restricted to putting PTL interceptors on a leash.  Removing K-turn stress is just not worth the 24 pts.  

Really, all Yorr needs is just more useful wording.  Notice i didn't say "better".  Yes, its better, but really, his wording just purposely screws him. 

It would be nice to see some system upgrade that allows for better stress shedding too.  Would help the phantom and the b-wing in nice ways too.  

Jendon is really useless and nerfed.  His ability only works on R1, it should really work on at least R2 if not R3 like the other support passers: Kyle, Jan, Garvin, Dutch.  All of the Rebel ships have more use because they don't leash their teammates to a R1 formation.  

Also, Jendon should have a EPT at PS6.  

It would be interesting to have a title that allows the pilot to gain an EPT.  Maybe restrict it to named uniques only. 

Kagi is a laughing stock.  No country for old clonies.  His ability is really limited and should allow his cost to be reduced considerably.  If Jendon goes down in cost by 1 or 2, Kagi could easily go down 2.  Oh, and EPT would be great.  =) 

So maybe just a Title equipable to unique pilots only that gives -1 and an EPT?

• Radarman5 likes this

ROLL RED, STAY THIRSTY FRIENDS. 

#2 Introverdant

Introverdant

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

Keep an eye on the new crew cards. 

Fleet Officer ought to be a reasonable shuttle buff, given how important focus stacking is to so many Imperial fighters.

We'll see what else shows up.

Also, disagree about Kagi.

He is a monster in the right hands, though Predator has kind've usurped Target Lock's place in the world. 

Just because it's a Lambda doesn't make the pilot skill wasted.

Jendon is underused for what he is. Jendon w/ title + 3x Academy Pilot is tremendously powerful compared to Howlrunner + 3x Academy Pilot, which has become a staple of the metagame. Also has positive synergy with Vessery, who is no slouch. 

Edited by Introverdant, 05 August 2014 - 05:37 PM.

• Lansing likes this

#3 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:33 PM

yes! Fleet officer is exciting, but its basically just a free action for 3 pts.  ><  Which is what Major Juggler says a free action is worth.  It also comes with the heavy opportunity cost of being a crew.  

#4 Introverdant

Introverdant

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

I'm not interested in what MJ thinks things are worth. 

Anyway, It's a floating free action. It goes where you need it most. Not to be underestimated.

#5 Krynn007

Krynn007

Shinigami

• Members
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

I'm not interested in what MJ thinks things are worth.

Anyway, It's a floating free action. It goes where you need it most. Not to be underestimated.

Be great with kir kanos, or Rexler Brath so he can have two focuses

Edited by Krynn007, 05 August 2014 - 05:58 PM.

Rebels4 xwing, 2 awings, 2 bwings,1 ywing, 1 Falcon, 1hwk, 1 ewing, 2 z95, 1 transport, 1 Tantive,
Imperials
6 tie/ft, 2 squints, 1 aces, 4 bombers, 1 tie adv, 1 shuttle, 2 Firespray, 2 phantom, 1 tie defender

#6 Introverdant

Introverdant

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:19 PM

Here's a Lambda list for discussion;

Col. Jendon

ST-321

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Academy Pilot

Echo

V.I.

Advanced Cloaking Device

A simple take on the hammer/anvil. 

Deploy Jendon and the TIEs in formation facing horizontally across your deployment zone. 

Start creeping along and passing off target locks. If your opponent chooses to rush you, Echo with target lock gets her pick of the litter. If your opponent lets you chill out for several turns, he gets shot up by a bunch of TIEs which get to reroll all of their dice - and Jendon himself hits quite a bit harder than Howlrunner. 

#7 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

I love Yorr. I combine him with Maarek Stele and opportunist for no stress k-turns that allows Maarek to use opportunist nearly every turn.

#8 Introverdant

Introverdant

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:37 PM

I love Yorr. I combine him with Maarek Stele and opportunist for no stress k-turns that allows Maarek to use opportunist nearly every turn.

:wacko:

I have to ask. 

What do your opponents like to fly?

Edited by Introverdant, 05 August 2014 - 06:38 PM.

#9 Blail Blerg

Blail Blerg

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

might be good against big ships.  

:wacko:

I have to ask. 

What do your opponents like to fly?

might be good against big ships.  

#10 Knucklesamwich

Knucklesamwich

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

We play pretty much any ship. I play a lot of untimed games. In an untimed game the Tie advanced is excellent because it is hard to kill. But even in a timed game I would run that combo. It works very well together. I personally love maareks ability. It can be crippling.

#11 ObiWonka

ObiWonka

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:55 PM

I have to agree on the Yorr wording/ruling. I feel like they originally meant for him to be more useful, but someone took a different reading of the power and now they're stuck with it. (I'm aware of the ruling and why and I'm not trying to start a debate, just sharing my opinion.)

Expert Handling on a Shuttle would be hilarious...Advanced Sensors to Barrel Roll, then take a green maneuver.

Rebel: 2x A-Wing, 2x B-Wing, 1x E-Wing, 2x HWK-290, 4x X-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, 1x YT-1300, 1x Z-95 Headhunter

Imperial: 1x Firespray-31, 1x Lambda Shuttle, 1x TIE Defender, 6x TIE Fighter, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Bomber, 6x TIE Interceptor, 1x TIE Phantom

BEARFACE

#12 SableGryphon

SableGryphon

Ghostly Void Bison

• Members
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:57 PM

I will say that in my experience, Kagi is better than Jendon. Jendon acts as a leash, as mentioned, and he needs ST-321 to be worthwhile. Even then, you are spending a lot of points for at most 3 target locks in the game.

Barrel Roll is certainly a desirable trait. I would rule the world if I could get it natively. Something like:

Action: You may take a free barrel roll action. Then you may take a free focus token. 5 points

Basically a version of R7-T1 without the arc restriction but more expensive. Maybe make it a shuttle title.

Maybe an ability to shoot outside your firing arc under limited circumstances.

Or combat engines:

Action: Perform a White 3 Hard Turn, then receive a stress.

Or maybe a one shot ability. When you reveal a stop maneuver, you may rotate your ship 180 degrees (basically a 0K turn).

I've had many a dream of things I'd love to add to the shuttle. Most of them are pipe dreams and wouldn't be balanced, but it doesn't stop me from wanting. :)

• ObiWonka likes this

Come on down to Sable's Shuttle Emporium for all your Alabaster Void Bison needs!

5 TIE Advanced, 6 TIE Bomber, 4 TIE Defender, 10 TIE Fighter, 6 TIE Interceptor, 4 TIE Phantom, 4 Firespray, 5 Lambda, 2 VT-49

7 A-Wing, 7 B-Wing, 3 E-Wing, 7 X-Wing, 4 Y-Wing, 6 Z-95, 4 HWK-290, 2 YT-1300, 2 YT-2400, 2 GR-75, 1 CR-90

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS