Steal Life.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MadFuhrer

MadFuhrer

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:23 AM

So for steal life, when it says you gain stamina per success, is that successes on the spell check or the combat check?  if it is the combat check does it only count the ones that go over the monster toughness, or does it only count the ones up to the monster toughness, or just all of the successes?

I personally think that it means all the successes you roll during the combat check go towards your stamina.  so if you are facing a monster with 3 toughness and get 4 successes, you would get a total of 4 stamina.  Do you agree?

I can see this spell being extremely good with agnes baker, or if the lurker is the herald (stack up the power).

#2 metalizm

metalizm

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

Hello, MadFuhrer!

I think in this situation successes on the combat check count. Although I can't remember any official rule stating this. But I think that playing that way is more interesting  :)

And when playing it like that, I count all successes rolled on a combet check, disregarding monster toughness.

So, I agree with your example. But remember that you can't get stamina higher, than your maximum.

Good luck!!  ;)

In everlasting search of decent fan made Arkham Horror expansions to print and play with friends of mine!  ;)

#3 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,593 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

I believe it is supposed to be simply the combat successes rolled.

#4 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,395 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

I believe it is supposed to be simply the combat successes rolled.

+1. Not exactly the sounder wording ever, tho... but yes, thematically it's the thing with more sense: you steal someone else's life, and in order to do so, you need to actually have access to his life. Hence, the combat, not the spell check

As for regaining Stamina more than the toughness of the monster... I don't see it as a problem. I hardly believe toughness and Stamina are actually equivalent, otherwise Vincent Lee should be bigger than the Dhole.

• metalizm likes this
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS