• 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

Is there any way to get it in game?

#2 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

Sure! If you encounter a random creature with Unnatural Willpower (your GM should almost certainly make this some sort of monstrous, uncontrolled Psyker), capture it without killing it, take it to a renegade Magos Biologis, and successfully have a random NPC perform a Transgenic Grafting then you too can gain Unnatural Willpower!

• Errant and Utherix like this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#3 Longes

Longes

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

Sure! If you encounter a random creature with Unnatural Willpower (your GM should almost certainly make this some sort of monstrous, uncontrolled Psyker), capture it without killing it, take it to a renegade Magos Biologis, and successfully have a random NPC perform a Transgenic Grafting then you too can gain Unnatural Willpower!

Har har.

#4 Tenebrae

Tenebrae

• Members
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:17 PM

As I recall (and I might be wrong), the Mark of Tzeentch gives you Unnatural Willpower, in BC.

In RT: Not that I can recall, and I'm quite happy about that, thank you.

#5 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

Har har.

This is actually my serious answer. I can't see why any of this wouldn't work.

It might not be survivable, but I'm a GM so crafting scenarios where my players survive is hardly my priority.

• Tenebrae, Fgdsfg and Errant Knight like this

Citizens of Grace! We have defeated both the Dark Eldar and Ork menaces that threatened your system! We need no thanks nor payments, so long as you do not leave the atmosphere during our salvage operations under pain of death! - Jequin Hos of The Hos Dynasty

#6 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:27 PM

Primaris Psykers and Inquisitors can get Unnatural Willpower x3 and x2 respectively, but that's Ascension so YMMV. I wouldn't go out of my way to assume a GM would permit you to get it, given the shenanigans you can get up to with a high enough willpower bonus. 

#7 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:45 AM

Basically no, not without allowing material from other game lines which unbalances an already barely balanced game...

• Decessor likes this

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#8 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:29 PM

Rogue Trader has balance?

• Erathia likes this

#9 Erathia

Erathia

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:35 PM

Rogue Trader has balance?

Yep. Everyone has equal access to the same overpowered gear.
  • Errant and Utherix like this

#10 Errant

Errant

• Members
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

I was more thinking of an explorator's 'HAHAHA, I will do SCIENCE TO IT TO MAKE THE NECRON LOVE THE OMNISSIAH! I ROLLED A 90! THAT'S FIVE DEGREES OF SUCCESS!' versus an Arch-Militant's "I guess I shoot the thing a bit." but fair point.

• Fgdsfg and Utherix like this

#11 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:34 AM

I more meant balance in the sense that enemies written for Rogue Trader have their numbers balance according to known material for Rogue Trader at the time, not balanced for other game systems. If you bring in weapons from one system and armour from another you could end up at either extreme of the spectrum - one shot kills or nothing ever dying.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#12 Longes

Longes

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:34 AM

I more meant balance in the sense that enemies written for Rogue Trader have their numbers balance according to known material for Rogue Trader at the time, not balanced for other game systems. If you bring in weapons from one system and armour from another you could end up at either extreme of the spectrum - one shot kills or nothing ever dying.

Which is why I was asking if anything in Rogue Trader allows you to get Unnatural Willpower for my psyker-explorator :)

#13 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

I was more thinking of an explorator's 'HAHAHA, I will do SCIENCE TO IT TO MAKE THE NECRON LOVE THE OMNISSIAH! I ROLLED A 90! THAT'S FIVE DEGREES OF SUCCESS!' versus an Arch-Militant's "I guess I shoot the thing a bit." but fair point.

If you play Star Trek instead of Rogue Trader, that's your own fault.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#14 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:13 PM

Which is why I was asking if anything in Rogue Trader allows you to get Unnatural Willpower for my psyker-explorator :)

Psyker-Explorator?

Umm..

Well. As far as I know, the short answer is no.

Gamergate Primer

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#15 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Hmm, I vaguely thought Psyker and Explorator were mutually exclusive; the part of your soul either belongs to the C'Ta...[BAM!] Omnissiah, or it belongs to the Warp, or it belongs to the Emperor (Priests and Soroitas with Pure Faith). Psykers from Mars still sent to Terra (yay short flight), and then be Sanctioned Psykers. Of course, I suppose that an Explorator, exposed to the various things most Rogue Traders crews will be, could easily develop the Wyrd mutation, but I still thought that there was a sort of understood that says this is usually not going to happen, and that even Space Marines don't usually breach it; you can be an Iron Hands Iron Father, combining the duties of a Chaplain, Apothecary and Techmarine into a single role, or a Space Wolves Wolf Priest, serving as Chaplain and an Apothecary, but Librarians don't SEEM to cross into other roles. And now I'm going to hush, as you run your games as you want.

I suppose I'm not sure exactly what having "Unnatural Willpower" means, when compared to the other Unnatural stats. Various implants can give other Unnatural Characteristics; Eldar seem to just have Unnatural Agility because they were designed to have it. Space Marines get Strength and Toughness by virtue of some of their Astartes extras, some cybernetics SHOULD be able to duplicate that feat, and I believe Cortex Implants can give Unn Intelligence, so maybe some implant, retrieved warp relic, or some BS (not Ballistic Skill ;)) COULD give you Unn WP, but yeah, I don't think anything already does, because if it did, I would think that the Culexus Assassin write-up would find a way to also get it, since WP bonus is integral to Untouchable's range, and even that book doesn't seem to feed us that bonus. I still liked Ascension as a book, but yeah, in a book filled with "how do we deal with that level of WHAT?", high-rating Psykers with high WP, and high Unn WP are ridiculously hard to work around, so not a big loss. WP and Fel might be the two that only come from Chaos, as I would love to get Unnatural Fellowship, but I think Slaanesh is the ONLY source of it, and Tzeentch is probably the only good way to get WP.

Edited by venkelos, 06 August 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#16 Longes

Longes

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:28 AM

Hmm, I vaguely thought Psyker and Explorator were mutually exclusive; the part of your soul either belongs to the C'Ta...[BAM!] Omnissiah, or it belongs to the Warp, or it belongs to the Emperor (Priests and Soroitas with Pure Faith). Psykers from Mars still sent to Terra (yay short flight), and then be Sanctioned Psykers. Of course, I suppose that an Explorator, exposed to the various things most Rogue Traders crews will be, could easily develop the Wyrd mutation, but I still thought that there was a sort of understood that says this is usually not going to happen, and that even Space Marines don't usually breach it; you can be an Iron Hands Iron Father, combining the duties of a Chaplain, Apothecary and Techmarine into a single role, or a Space Wolves Wolf Priest, serving as Chaplain and an Apothecary, but Librarians don't SEEM to cross into other roles. And now I'm going to hush, as you run your games as you want.

Of course they aren't mutually exclusive! Acolytes of Abraxas exist, Dark Mechanicus exist, Q'sal exists. In my case it's Wyrdling mutation. Alternatively one can start with Witch-born. Technosorcery, ho!

#17 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:15 AM

Of course they aren't mutually exclusive! Acolytes of Abraxas exist, Dark Mechanicus exist, Q'sal exists. In my case it's Wyrdling mutation. Alternatively one can start with Witch-born. Technosorcery, ho!

Unless I'm mistaken (and I may be), Acolytes of Abraxas just use heretek/malatech/xenotech equipment to manifest psychic powers, they're not actually psykers. The Dark Mechanicum similarly don't seem to have psykers, but routinely perform sorcery to create warptech construct or various heretek techniques to bind daemons or much with the immaterium.

Q'Sal isn't Mechanicus at all, and they don't seem to have a habit of replacing their human/psyker-bits and brains with pistols and cogitators.

It's not that the mechanicus aren't born as psykers, it's that they have a tendency to screw with themselves so much that they are unable to act as psykers.

Gamergate Primer

Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.

#18 Magellan

Magellan

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:27 AM

I feel like I've heard something similar, actually, but I've failed to come up with any sources stating so. Do you have any?

It should be clear, however, that by RAW, nothing prevents you from being a tech-priest and a psyker, just like nothing prevents an Astropath from becoming an Augmenticist.

I am the latest model of a Fabricator-General
My body isn't nearly as much animal as mineral
My learnedness is legend; my accomplishments historical
For hereteks and aliens my hatred's categorical

#19 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 2,101 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:49 AM

I feel like I've heard something similar, actually, but I've failed to come up with any sources stating so. Do you have any?

It should be clear, however, that by RAW, nothing prevents you from being a tech-priest and a psyker, just like nothing prevents an Astropath from becoming an Augmenticist.

No, I'm just pulling this straight from memory, I don't remember any specific sources. That's also why I'm trying to be clear on the fact that I could be mistaken, it's just the impression that I had.

As always, when it comes with 40k, other interpretations and their mileage may vary.

As for the Augmenticist, that's actually a bit odd. If memory serves, the Arch-Heretek can't be an Astropath, for example. That still wouldn't prevent other shenanigans, of course, such as a non-Astropath psyker (through mutation or otherwise) becoming it.

Gamergate Primer

#20 Longes

Longes

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

No, I'm just pulling this straight from memory, I don't remember any specific sources. That's also why I'm trying to be clear on the fact that I could be mistaken, it's just the impression that I had.

As always, when it comes with 40k, other interpretations and their mileage may vary.

As for the Augmenticist, that's actually a bit odd. If memory serves, the Arch-Heretek can't be an Astropath, for example. That still wouldn't prevent other shenanigans, of course, such as a non-Astropath psyker (through mutation or otherwise) becoming it.

Navigators and Missionaires can't be the Arch-Hereteks either, so I guess it's more about moral values rather than psy abilities.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS